• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (Verizon) No SIM card

Wrathix

Mar 23, 2010
NY
We received our phones Monday, July 9. Since then both my wife and I have been plagued by a no SIM card error. The problem is pretty random and unfortunately UN-repeatable.

I went on yesterday to get a new card, didn't notice I wasn't receiving data till I got home at the end of the day (the rep had connected to Wi-Fi since the store is a"dead zone.") So I went the same night to get a third SIM card. The following day (today) I again receive the no SIM card message.

I return to the same store. Now the problem seems to be a known issue and they are waiting for Samsung to release an update. I scoff and say it became a known issue over night? They said now that our activated device pool is increasing so is the problem. They said getting a new device will do nothing to remedy the problem and that I'd have to wait out the fix.

Being that I have two s3's I had them note the account incase the problem takes forever to fix, or that it really is just us. I don't want the return period to expire or our unlimited data.

Anyone having similar problems or suggestions? I figured a problem like this would be showing up, so far nothing...

I had the same problem. I was the fifth person to come into my local store with the problem. The second i walked in holding a s3 they asked if my phone was dropping the network and said no sim.

Tried switching sim cards, that didnt work. They marked my phone as DOA and gave me a new one.

From what i have heard all the phones that have had the problem in my area were preorders.

It is a problem with the phones, gotta wait for a samsung update or get a new phone.

Upvote 0
I received a new S3 today, swapped the sim out from my galaxy nexus and haven't experienced any problems as of yet. Although from reading the other thread it only seems to be happening when making calls or texting. Which I haven't done much of yet? Have used it for about 8 hours browsing the internet, 4g signal has been very solid just as good as my Nexus. No dropped signals or any drop from 4 g to 3g either. I live in southern minnesota.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem! My husband and I both received our Verizon Galaxy S3 last Tuesday. He has only had the problem once but my phone randomly will not dial out or text and gives me a no service message followed by a no sim card message. Sometimes it won't complete the call and says out of service area. I had the sim card replaced at the Verizon store Monday night but was still having problems so spent over an hour at the Verizon store again yesterday. I convinced them to overnight me a new phone since they did not have any in a 60 mile radius of where I live. I received the new phone today and I'm having the same problems! I am 10 days into my return policy so I really don't know what to do. Has anyone gotten any resolution to this problem?

Upvote 0
Same problem here. I had a perfect phone but original one cracked on the side towards the middle a crack by power button. Went in and got a new phone and this one is having the data issue plus gets hot while surfing the web. I downloaded phone info from the play store. This to change data connection. Also, switching to airplane mode worked. The other phone also cracked and expanded behind the upper part of the batter. Looked like the phone had internal heat problems but this one has i externally.

Upvote 0
This is what happens: I dial a number, the phone is not making the buzzing sound as it normally does. However, the phone I'm calling is next to me and is ringing. I answer my 2nd phone and the line is just dead on the SG S3 and the 2nd phone. After appr. 15 seconds it will disconnect and a message wil appear "out of service area". My signal bar (which was full when I made the call) is replaced by a circle with a diagonal line inside.

I live in Aruba and have my SG S3 for three weeks now. The first week I had the problem once at my house. I restarted the phone and it worked good after that. The second week the same issue several times. Again at home and at work as well. Restarting for five or six times eventually fixed the problem.

Now I am in week 3 and it hardly ever works anymore so I took it into repair at Setar (local network provider). Although I told them that I read several threads in forums about this problem they told it was probably a software problem. So they did a back to factory settings restart, updated the latest Samsung software, told me that I had some settings wrong and send me on my way.

I think I was halfway through the parking lot when my phone rang and I had the exact same problem again. Now they have taken it into repair I just hope they are able to figure out the problem, although I fear it is a Suamsung problem and not network related.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones