• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Note 2 Pre-order, Release date, and speculation thread

I had (mostly) the same experience yesterday. I called my local corporate store, asked if they had any, the rep said yes, so I told him I'll be right there to get one. He said OK.

When I showed up, they didn't have the display setup yet so they brought one out for me to see. When I said I'd like to buy one, they said they can't even activate them yet (they tried earlier), let alone sell one. They did say they've got a bunch & agreed to hold one to the side for me to pickup tomorrow morning.

Can't wait!

What they REALLY mean is they can't activate their floor models yet, or likely they're not allowed as employees to buy theirs and activate it until the official launch date.

If you happen to get one though you can activate it just fine :)

Upvote 0
Mine's coming from Westchester PA too. I wrote an email to the executive team detailing my preorder woes. Maybe I'll get something out of it.

Curious that they don't include the earbuds, they looked pretty nice from what I saw, much better than any crappy Apple pack ins. Wonder why they wouldn't include them...

So boot that sucker up and start giving us impressions!

Upvote 0
Okay so here is the scoop:

I just got off the phone with Daniel Ayala from Verizon Wireless who is a customer service support manager. He put me on hold for 15 minutes to review this with upper management to find out the story. Here are the results:

• Current Unlimited Data customers WHO USE THE BUILT IN HOT-SPOT CAPABILITY will be charged $30/mo for their tethering service. Customers who are on a restricted data package (with GB limits) can tether for free using this capability but are susceptible to overage charges if they exceed their GB limit.
  • For Unlimited Data Package Customers, the $30/mo tethering charge can be AVOIDED ENTIRELY if you use a 3rd Party application to tether (NOT THE BUILT-IN HOTSPOT CAPABILITY). Daniel gave SPECIFIC instruction that users with unlimited data packages can go to the Google Play Store (Used it by name) and download a 3rd party app to tether. This way, it shows up that unlimited data shows as being used through a 3rd party app instead of a 1st party provided service which still falls within the Verizon guidelines. The call was recorded and I can reference it anytime in the future should Verizon try to floor me on my bill if I do it this way.

With that said, does anyone know of any good 3rd party tethering apps that are compatible with the new Jelly Bean on the GN2?

I use Barnacle on my gingerbread droid x. I don't know if it works for jellybean - but you must be rooted (it works like a charm though on my droid x on verizon) and its free. Someone see if it works on Jellybean/GN2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsIm5ldC5zenltLmJhcm5hY2xlIl0.

Upvote 0
I use Barnacle on my gingerbread droid x. I don't know if it works for jellybean - but you must be rooted (it works like a charm though on my droid x on verizon) and its free. Someone see if it works on Jellybean/GN2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsIm5ldC5zenltLmJhcm5hY2xlIl0.

This is what I'm talking about. I used the Power Controls Widget which BYPASSES the stock wifi thing, and it works find on my Galaxy Nexus. I'll test it out tomorrow on the Note 2.

Kinda sad that I may not need those widgets lol, the notification bar will keep em handy.

BUT I wonder what I'll add to my homescreen now with that extra row and column for icons!

Upvote 0
That really has to do with the corporate accounts they use for those phones, that do have unlimited data and the ability to purchase any app store apps for free etc. (Yep try it sometime you can pretty much test out ANY app on an android phone pre-buying it yourself if you do it in store lol)

Oh, OK. So, do you think if I pushed a little harder, I could've walked out with the phone last night?

Upvote 0
Went to the Verizon store last night. They already have the phones. He said they didn't have any cases yet though. No phone on display. Checked out the DNA while I was there. Great looking phone.

Still undecided between the DNA and the Note 2.

I did the same, but got to play with the (soon to be) display model. I played (for a good while) with the Note 2 first & by the time I got to the DNA, it just seemed boring. The N2 has so many more features.

Also, it's probably my eyes, but I'd much rather have the larger screen than the higher definition one. Just my 2 cents. :D

Reactions: Ninja Monkey
Upvote 0
This is what I'm talking about. I used the Power Controls Widget which BYPASSES the stock wifi thing, and it works find on my Galaxy Nexus. I'll test it out tomorrow on the Note 2.

Kinda sad that I may not need those widgets lol, the notification bar will keep em handy.

BUT I wonder what I'll add to my homescreen now with that extra row and column for icons!

Hey PetiePal - please keep me in the loop on this okay? I'm also considering the following apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=og.android.tether&feature=search_result

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wifi.hotspot&feature=search_result

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=android.tether&feature=search_result

Upvote 0

I read up on this and I'll be very curious to hear if it works with the GN2 ... Also, it doesn't make reference as to whether or not it works for 4G, it just says 3G on that page.

Upvote 0
I read up on this and I'll be very curious to hear if it works with the GN2 ... Also, it doesn't make reference as to whether or not it works for 4G, it just says 3G on that page.
Anyone comparing these should note if they have unlimited or shared data. JB has an entitlement check which could be different on the note 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones