• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [ROM] AOKP JB-MR1 Milestone 2 [4.2.2] (07.21.13) TORO

Noob question: what is a nightly. Would like to flash latest Aokp which appears to be pr7, but i keep hearing about nightlies.

No; preview 7 is not the latest AOKP build. Nightlies are builds compiled frequently and don't strive for being stable or reliable (though in many cases with ROMs such as CyanogenMod and AOKP, and a device that is easy to develop for such as our Galaxy Nexus, nightlies are in many cases just as, and sometimes more stable than standard builds), but rather to include the latest and most cutting edge features. I believe the term "nightly," and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, originated from developers using "build-bots" which built a ROM with all of the day's merges automatically each night. Now, the idea is that even though they aren't released every night, there are, in AOKP's case, at least two nightly builds per week. To find the latest nightly, go to either here http://androtransfer.com/?developer=AOKP&folder=toro and download the zip with the latest build date (at the moment it is the Aug 10 build) or download it from goo.im here http://goo.im/devs/glitch/AOKP/toro/aokp_toro_Aug-10-12.zip

Reactions: DPiddy and jmar
Upvote 0
No; preview 7 is not the latest AOKP build. Nightlies are builds compiled frequently and don't strive for being stable or reliable (though in many cases with ROMs such as CyanogenMod and AOKP, and a device that is easy to develop for such as our Galaxy Nexus, nightlies are in many cases just as, and sometimes more stable than standard builds), but rather to include the latest and most cutting edge features. I believe the term "nightly," and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, originated from developers using "build-bots" which built a ROM with all of the day's merges automatically each night. Now, the idea is that even though they aren't released every night, there are, in AOKP's case, at least two nightly builds per week. To find the latest nightly, go to either here http://androtransfer.com/?developer=AOKP&folder=toro and download the zip with the latest build date (at the moment it is the Aug 10 build) or download it from goo.im here http://goo.im/devs/glitch/AOKP/toro/aokp_toro_Aug-10-12.zip

No idea what you're talkin about, but I'm getting a clue over to the right. I'm getting a raging clue that way.....

Upvote 0
Can someone who hasn't changed the toggles from their default colors on the 8/10 nightly tell me what the default color for toggle off is? It's a grey but I need the hex code

Anyone? If you're on the 8/10 nightly, just go Settings-->ROM Control-->Toggles-->Disabled Indicator Color and copy and paste the HEX Code that's there (unless you've already changed it)

Upvote 0
Here's a screen shot

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344877066643.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344877066643.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
may have my nomenclature hosed up. Where you swipe down and all the toggles (wifi, gps, 4g/3g, BT, tourch, sync etc) all show up to turn on or off.
Pull down next to the wifi icon or anywhere up top. Is that a Nova deal mabey? lol dunno

billd

Toggles in the notification shade? Sure! They've been there for quite some time and work perfectly! On the Jellybean builds, you're now able to change their colors as well if you so desire. But yes, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Swagger and all, they're all there :)

Reactions: dockmaster
Upvote 0
So basically not a huge update then huh? ;)

Huge if you're a customization nut and wanted the custom notification shade background and if you have either a tablet or a big phone and want the expand/collapse toggle :) a "huge update" is all in the eye of the user I suppose. Boid, for example, is a very popular Twitter client and their team is planning a "huge update" with about 11 major feature additions on their change log. But me? I don't care how long that change log is, because unless it says "Remembering timeline position/tweet caching," it isn't a "huge" or "important" enough of an update for me to even install or use the app at all :) bit off topic, but a very valid analogy :D

Upvote 0
I've found all the previews-nightlies stable. Just weren't as feature rich as their ics builds.

+1. Like I said earlier, though these are nightlies, they are by no means "not stable." And NONE of the exact features from ICS are coming back, or should I say, none of the code. They're rewriting all of the code for every feature, not just porting over every old one by modifying it. Because of this, it's taking a little bit longer, yes, but they're squashing out old unfixed bugs as they go along because they, I guess you can say, "know better" this time. This also gives them time to improve on said features. For example, Roman is worker on a better, more user-friendly ROM Control UI for Navbar Widgets. I don't think they're calling these nightlies because they're unstable, they're calling them nightlies so that they can move at their own pace and add whatever feature or fix whatever bug they want to at any time. So again, if it's stability you're worried about, I wouldn't. Besides, if you're still on ICS...yikes. I'd rather run completely bone stock Jellybean than a max customized ICS. Yes, it is that good.

Reactions: sneakking and jmar
Upvote 0
+1. Like I said earlier, though these are nightlies, they are by no means "not stable." And NONE of the exact features from ICS are coming back, or should I say, none of the code. They're rewriting all of the code for every feature, not just porting over every old one by modifying it. Because of this, it's taking a little bit longer, yes, but they're squashing out old unfixed bugs as they go along because they, I guess you can say, "know better" this time. This also gives them time to improve on said features. For example, Roman is worker on a better, more user-friendly ROM Control UI for Navbar Widgets. I don't think they're calling these nightlies because they're unstable, they're calling them nightlies so that they can move at their own pace and add whatever feature or fix whatever bug they want to at any time. So again, if it's stability you're worried about, I wouldn't. Besides, if you're still on ICS...yikes. I'd rather run completely bone stock Jellybean than a max customized ICS. Yes, it is that good.

Nice...!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones