• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Very tricky antenna problem...

FAAndroid

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Ok this is my first post so please bear with me. I have a rooted Evo with a very wierd 3G connection problem. FIrst a little background on the phone. I have had the phone for over a year now and decided to root it. Everything was fine until one day I dropped the phone one too many times and the display stopped working. Since I don't have insurance or am not eligable for an upgrade, I decided to try the DIY method. I ordered a new LCD screen and digitizer from Amazon and installed it. Everything worked great. Now it was time to call Sprint and deactivate the temporary phone I was using and reactivate my old HTC Evo. In order to do this I had to install a ROM with Sense in order to recognize the Sprint codes I had to enter to activate the phone.

I did this and activated my phone. This is when the problem comes in to play. After activating my phone I now have a "looping" 3G connection, meaning 3G will connect the send and recieve arrows will blink and then the signal will drop and the 3G signal goes blank. It will do this over and over without a solid connection. I have reinstalled my profiles/PRL multiple times and even made sure and flashed an update for the radios.

I am thinking this might be a hardware issure but I can't find ANYTHING about the physical loaction of the 3G antenna on the motherboard or any sort of troubleshooting proceedures for this. If anyone has any help it woudl be GREATLY appreciated! I am having trouble with streaming video or searching on the web as a result of this issue. My phone calls and texting does not seem to be affected.

Thanks for the welcome. Okay, I did leave out the part where last night I did call sprint and they did what appeared to me as a profile/PRL update where they did something on their end and then had me turn on my phone to update itself at boot up. Is this what your refering to? If so it still hasen't solved the problem.

EDIT: Read up on RUU's I will be installing shortly.

Upvote 0
Things I would try...

1) Running an RUU. This will reinstall all of the software on your device. If your bootloader is unlocked you will have to re-lock before doing this method. If you are s-off you dont need to re-lock and will still be s-off after.

2) Doing what sprint refers to as a hard-reset. You will need to call and get your MSL in order to do a hard reset. Its basically a factory reset but it also completely clears things up on their end of the network as well.

I've had problems before where nothing would work except for a hard reset.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I have switched ROMs multiple time, but I have not tried the RUU, in fact i'm not even sure what that is so I will have to do some research but I'm sure I can manage, and I will have Sprint do a hard reset.

Now in order to request a hard reset from Sprint, when I call should I ask for a hard reset or is it refered to by something else? Thanks for the replies this is at least giving me more options that I have had.

Upvote 0
I have switched ROMs multiple time, but I have not tried the RUU, in fact i'm not even sure what that is so I will have to do some research but I'm sure I can manage, and I will have Sprint do a hard reset.

Now in order to request a hard reset from Sprint, when I call should I ask for a hard reset or is it refered to by something else? Thanks for the replies this is at least giving me more options that I have had.

I would tell then you are having network issues and want to do a hard reset.

The ruu is a program you run from your pc. If you post your hboot number we can get you the correct ruu

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones