• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] CM11 nightlies d2lte with LTE and MMS fix incorporated

jamesh0317

Jul 2, 2013
First, I did nothing here but build the ROM from source. Credit goes to the Android team and MopedRyder for the LTE fix.

I flash nightlies on a regular basis, and wanted to skip the step of applying the fix each time.

So I am building the d2lte CM11 using the unadultrated source. The only changes that I made were to replace/add:
~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/build.prop
~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/etc/apns-conf.xml
~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/data/eri.xml
to my android source tree from the zipfile obtained on MopedRyder's post:

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...-virgin-mobile-apn-fix-wip-cm-aosp-4-4-x.html

It works perfectly. I install the nightly and have: LTE, MMS via the Handcent (probably Hangouts, but I have not confirmed), and the pulldown says "Virgin Mobile" instead of "Sprint".

So that you know what you are getting (or do it yourself, for that matter):
I set up everything as per the Wiki:
How To Build CyanogenMod Android for Samsung Galaxy S III LTE ("d2lte") - CyanogenMod

Then build as follows, where ~/staticfiles is where I put the 3 files from MopedRyder's zipfile (the build.prop is from the build.prop on my device that was modified by the script in the zipfile):

cd ~/android/system
. build/envsetup.sh
breakfast d2lte
make clobber
repo sync
mv ~/staticfiles/build.prop ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/build.prop
mv ~/staticfiles/apns-conf.xml ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/etc/apns-conf.xml
mv ~/staticfiles/eri.xml ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/data/eri.xml
time brunch d2lte
mv -v $OUT/*d2lte.zip ~/Google\ Drive/d2lte-nightlies/

The nightlies are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8gm_ysaIIdaOTV0NlFaWjFkZjA&usp=sharing

It works for me, and I build every few days, if not daily.

I have a pretty low-end machine, and the build time without a make clobber is about 5 minutes- mostly repo sync, and with a make clobber is about 55 minutes

what the hell? that is nuts! with ccache and all it took me longer. on an i3 w/4gb ram. it has been a while since ive built, maybe ill give it another go on another source. good stuff man

Upvote 0
So, if you want to do this yourself...

Set up build as per the Wiki as linked above.

Then put the apns-conf.xml & eri.xml from MopedRyder's zipfile into a folder called ~/staticfiles

Put the build.prop from your device THAT WAS MODIFIED BY MOPEDRYDER's ZIPFILE into ~/staticfiles

then run the following script to build:
HTML:
#!/bin/bash
cd ~/android/system
. build/envsetup.sh
breakfast d2lte
make clobber
repo sync
rm ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/build.prop
cp ~/staticfiles/build.prop ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/build.prop
rm ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/etc/apns-conf.xml
cp ~/staticfiles/apns-conf.xml ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/etc/apns-conf.xml
#rm ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/data/eri.xml
#cp ~/staticfiles/eri.xml ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/data/eri.xml
#Above commented out commands are pointless.
#Building this way will provide 4G/LTE and MMS, but your phone will identify itself as Sprint 
#if you do a clean install because the /data/eri.xml file gets overwritten when you wipe /data,
#and does not get replaced by the ROM.
#I am working on changing eri.xml in framework-res.apk prior to the build.
time brunch d2lte

And if you start the script at bedtime, who cares if it takes 4 hours, LOL?

Upvote 0
Update: I just did a full wipe and installed the latest nightly from above. 4G/LTE and MMS still work, but the pulldown and signal indicator say "Sprint". Minor inconvenience, however...
It seems that adding the fixed eri.xml to ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/data/eri.xml does nothing. It worked earlier because /data/eri.xml stays put when I flash without wiping.

I am building again, this time I edited ~/android/system/device/samsung/qcom-common/overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/xml-mcc310-mnc120/eri.xml and replaced "Sprint" with "Virgin Mobile".

Also going to try to just run the sed script from MopedRyder's zipfile on ~/android/system/out/target/product/d2lte/system/build.prop instead of just copying the old build.prop to there. Better idea, LOL

Once the build is done I will wipe and flash. If it works I will update the OP.

Reactions: Darien153
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones