• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Interested in what ROMs/mods/kernels etc. people are using

Running the latest conquest, included kernel. I like all the features that touchwiz offers. Aosp Roms are too chopped for me. Conquest keeps all the samsungy, touchwizzy goodness with the more modern clean look of aosp.
Best of both both worlds.

I noticed you need ND8 or NDC to be able to run Conquest. I haven't updated my modem since I got the phone. So, I'm still running MD7. I mainly didn't upgrade because of Knox. Is it possible to upgrade to ND8 or NDC without having to install Knox too? Or is it a package deal? I just don't know much about modems. I've read from a few people that after upgrading to ND8/NDC, their signal has gotten worse. Has that been the case here or has signal gotten better or remained the same?

Upvote 0
I noticed you need ND8 or NDC to be able to run Conquest. I haven't updated my modem since I got the phone. So, I'm still running MD7. I mainly didn't upgrade because of Knox. Is it possible to upgrade to ND8 or NDC without having to install Knox too? Or is it a package deal? I just don't know much about modems. I've read from a few people that after upgrading to ND8/NDC, their signal has gotten worse. Has that been the case here or has signal gotten better or remained the same?

My experience is that the signal level is the same, the software's interpretation of the signal level is different. It's hard to explain but basically, older releases showed a weaker signal as being stronger than it actually was. Now it's more along the lines of what you would've seen in an AOSP-based ROM.

As for Knox, the ND8 and NDC boot loaders have Knox but if you're already out of warranty, it makes no difference. I've removed all of the Knox related apps from Conquest so the only time you'd even see anything related to it is if you boot into download/boot loader mode.

Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0

I haven't noticed any signal difference. Knox has no effect on my phone or my life. It didn't kick my kitten or break my favorite mug or anything. I always keep my devices up to date with the latest, good and bad. With the new boot loader you can't downgrade again, but why would you? Do you know how many security patches came with KitKat? ALOT. Why anyone would choose to stay on an older version of the os when a new one is out is beyond me.
I can see if tripping Knox is going to affect any remaining warranty you have, that's a decent reason. But most warranties are up by now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones