• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [KERNEL] VaeVictus Kernel - Overclocked to 1.8Ghz [Updated 8-8-13]

use twrp to fix permissions?

I use an app called Quickboot to reboot to recovery. Then fix permissions from within recovery.

This is my 5th android and no matter which I've been on people have used rom manager and somehow borked phones. Maybe it's a good app if it supports your phone but I've seen so many people try to use it even if phone is not supported. I remember the issues Jerry is talking about and it was a nightmare with the Optimus V. It's best to avoid it if possible.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know the stock gpu freq? I cant find it anywhere on thr net.
Not sure if this is it, this is taken from the kernel source we are working from (Samsung's MC1).
Code:
static void __init msm8960_gfx_init(void)
{
    uint32_t soc_platform_version = socinfo_get_version();
    if (SOCINFO_VERSION_MAJOR(soc_platform_version) == 1) {
        struct kgsl_device_platform_data *kgsl_3d0_pdata =
            msm_kgsl_3d0.dev.platform_data;
        kgsl_3d0_pdata->pwrlevel[0].gpu_freq = 320000000;
        kgsl_3d0_pdata->pwrlevel[1].gpu_freq = 266667000;
    }
}

Upvote 0
I use an app called Quickboot to reboot to recovery. Then fix permissions from within recovery.

This is my 5th android and no matter which I've been on people have used rom manager and somehow borked phones. Maybe it's a good app if it supports your phone but I've seen so many people try to use it even if phone is not supported. I remember the issues Jerry is talking about and it was a nightmare with the Optimus V. It's best to avoid it if possible.
I just open terminal (which I have set to open with su command) and type reboot recovery, with swype it's pretty quick and easy, and no extra apps needed. ;)

Upvote 0
2013-07-30%2000.28.48.png

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
We're definitely in S3 territory now.

Dual-cores (US version) clock around 12000 and quads around 16000. So if you're in the USA, and running Jerry's latest kernel, your Victory benches faster than your friend's S3.

What a beast of a phone.

Edit: 12800ish on stock system with the new kernel on Performance. Looks like the Victorious tweaks are good for a few hundred points, but the gains over stock are almost all from the kernel.

Just ran a bunch of benchmarks. Scheduler didnt seem to make much difference. ~11300 with conservative governor. 7000 with powersave. Still gonna say conservative is my favorite governor. Leaving cpu-z open, with performance the cores still stay locked @ 1.8, with conservative the cores throttle down to 384mhz, ~15% load, but it doesnt seem to want to disable the second core ever. Battery never broke 100F. Dont see any bugs, good work Jerry.

With the other governors, it seems at least 1 of the cores always stays over 1ghz. I cant find any that truly 'idle' except conservative and powersave, and powersave is hopelessly choked. Ondemand holds a solid 1.8 on the first core and stops the second until it is needed, but it kicks on @1.8 and never drops, it's either on @1.8 or off.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
hey Jerryscript are you considering any sound improvements in kernel like for instance Voodoo? Not that this phone doesnt already sound good. I plug mine in to soundbar all the time.
Hadn't thought about it, if you know of a good mod that's compatible with out hardware/software, let me know and I'll look into it.

I spent last nite debugging the fastcharge modification, good news is I think I got it working! In the next release, with a simple terminal command, you can charge your phone twice as fast from a computer as normal. ;)

Remember to thank rbheromax, he has done more for this kernel than any other single person!

Upvote 0
Needs testers to see if fastcharge makes any difference. The idea is that your PC's USB port can put out 1000ua instead of the normal 500ua, so long as it's a USB2.0 port (and pretty much all computers made in the past 5 years are USB2.0). Your phone charges at 1000ua on the wall charger, so why not do the same from your PC if it's capable of it?!? Please test and let us know if it makes charging any faster on your PC (give us details about your USB port when reporting).

VaeVictus-FastCharge.zip

Use terminal to turn it on/off
Code:
#turn on
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge

#turn off
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge

Let us know how it works for you!

Upvote 0
Fast charge is supposed to have a detrimental effect on USB connection to the PC, so you're either charging or your moving files, btw testers, unless something has changed
From what I've read, that's only on old PCs with USB1.0, if you have USB2.0 you should be fine. However, we did make sure to leave it up to you, hence the terminal commands to enable/disable fastcharge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones