• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Official LiquidSmooth Nightlies!!

Screen recorder works with Power + Volume up. There's currently no available Quick Settings tile for it. I was only able to get video working (no audio), but I haven't tinkered around with it much.
Screen recording basic settings are available under Settings-->Display-->Screen recorder.

I've downloaded LS updates directly via the LS OTA, but I haven't let the OTA do the install (I'm vaguely wary of its wipe options/capabilities), so I can't speak to the full process of letting the OTA-Updater do everything.
Instead, I've navigated to the OTA-Updater folder via my Recovery and flashed from there.
Or, I've transferred the new file to my self-created SD card active ROM file folder (via ES File Explorer) and flashed from there via Recovery, after wiping Cache & Dalvik, then flashing the ROM, then Kernel (optional step, but I like flashing DKP), then APN Fix*.
After all's said and done, I wiipe cache and Dalvik again, then reboot. Then soar to new heights of nightlies.

*APN Fix #3 still appears to work for me (or, more pointedly, leave things (MMS, SMS) working for me), but there seems to be an open question about whether it's still needed and/or still effective for VM folks, given some of the unified ROM build changes.

I've done the same thing for the last two nightlies-download via OTA, then transfer to a different file location with ES. However, at that point I transfer to laptop, add the additional apps that I want to boot up as part of /system, debloat, and then transfer back to SD card for flashing some awesomeness. My understanding of the OTA function is that they want you to use TWRP for "full effectiveness" and that CWM doesn't support all of the features directly from the app. Since Philz Touch is based off CWM, yet is more a world unto itself, I don't trust the OTA to the full extent either. Also, I have heard of nothing but problems with the new TWRP 2.7, not that I have any desire to switch from Philz.

As to the APN fix, I also use #3; without it, I don't get data connectivity on any ROM, unified or otherwise. I thank @MopedRyder every day for creating those (in my head of course, every time I use my phone, I've already thanked him in his thread!!). I assume that CyanogenMod team would have to implement a few more things into their source besides just acknowledging our device in the asserts in order to not need the APN fixes any more.

Reactions: Micaallin
Upvote 0
My understanding of the OTA function is that they want you to use TWRP for "full effectiveness" and that CWM doesn't support all of the features directly from the app. Since Philz Touch is based off CWM, yet is more a world unto itself, I don't trust the OTA to the full extent either. Also, I have heard of nothing but problems with the new TWRP 2.7, not that I have any desire to switch from Philz.

As to the APN fix, I also use #3; without it, I don't get data connectivity on any ROM, unified or otherwise. I thank @MopedRyder every day for creating those (in my head of course, every time I use my phone, I've already thanked him in his thread!!). I assume that CyanogenMod team would have to implement a few more things into their source besides just acknowledging our device in the asserts in order to not need the APN fixes any more.

Ah, thanks for this! Saves me the well-intended but unfortunate potential troubles of letting the OTA-Updater mix directly w. my Philz. I was slowly working up the nerve to try the one-click process.

I thank MopedRyder a ton for the APN fixes and his other works. I wrote a caveat about the APN fixes because I read Moped's post where he wondered aloud whether they are still viable for the latest unified ROM nightlies, as currently configured. Also, because I've read posts by a couple of VM folks who've said that their data/MMS/SMS works fine on the unified-build custom ROMS without flashing an APN Fix. But me, I all but swear by fix Moped's Fix #3!

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
Ah, thanks for this! Saves me the well-intended but unfortunate potential troubles of letting the OTA-Updater mix directly w. my Philz. I was slowly working up the nerve to try the one-click process.

I thank MopedRyder a ton for the APN fixes and his other works. I wrote a caveat about the APN fixes because I read Moped's post where he wondered aloud whether they are still viable for the latest unified ROM nightlies as currently configured. Also, because I've read posts by a couple of VM folks who've said that their data/MMS/SMS works fine without flashing an APN Fix. But me, I all but swear by fix #3!

The OTA info came from their G+ page, I am finding that to be a great source of info, definitely better than XDA, as things get posted much more frequently and the devs for the ROM are actively posting and replying as well. More like a real-time snapshot of what is going on with the ROM development, and there's some pretty funny off-topic stuff going on as well.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
I reverted my phone back to TW and updated my profile settings and reflashed the Liquid Smooth ROM. I also flashed MopedRyder's APN fix #3 and everything is working great now (3G, LTE, calls, SMS, MMS). Thanks for the tip struckn! Also, how is everyone's battery life on this ROM? I can't tell as of now but it seems to be a little lower than the previous TW rom I was running.

Upvote 0
Being that I'm on a different carrier, I can't comment on the APN fix for you guys...however, updating and flashing via the OTA works. I'm using cwm recovery (staying away from TWRP ATM due to issues I've seen) It'll clean cache and flash your update just fine. Only drawback I've had is that you can't backup your current setup (nandroid) That being said, if you have a good backup, go ahead and give it try.

Upvote 0
With the new "lte" builds Im finding the build.prop doesnt have any carrier settings. It cant because its one ROM for all. On d2spr builds, and what my fix changes, the settings should be:

Thing is - since there are no settings to edit, my fix probably will not adapt the build.prop correctly. We may have to rectify this. Id like to see some input from folks who flash the "lte" builds and how they are doing. LTE and MMS still work and such.

I'm on day two of liquidsmooth so far so good, Lte , 4G, 3g, all working with text and mms. have sent and received text and MMS on all three of the above.

Did a clean install of the 3/09 flashed you #3 fix. Then LS OTA to 3/10 reflashed fix #3 to be safe.

If it would help you if i sent you one or more of the files let me know, may need help finding it still a noob

Upvote 0
The OTA info came from their G+ page, I am finding that to be a great source of info, definitely better than XDA, as things get posted much more frequently and the devs for the ROM are actively posting and replying as well. More like a real-time snapshot of what is going on with the ROM development, and there's some pretty funny off-topic stuff going on as well.

I agree. It's nice to see more people using Google + too. A lot of the ROM pages have been very active lately with a ton of good info.

Upvote 0
major question?? if i wanted this to look like touchwiz without it actually being touchwiz will it slow down my computer, and which laucher should i download

Interesting.

Let me check a few things in the morning. I found a S4 Touchwiz launcher flashable pack. Ill verify it will work with ours, and try it first. Also may want to check for Touchwiz themes.

Maybe something like:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thomassafca.theme.touchwiz.five.free

Upvote 0
My signal strength is better with this ROM.. Anyone else experience that? I averaged 109db on Carbon ROM now its 77db

I've noticed similar, but I hadn't done any semi-scientific tests to see if my signal was actually better. At home, where I usually get a middling signal, I went from showing one connection bar consistently to showing two. Thanks for adding actual data to the mix.

Other side bonuses to Liquid Smooth versus Carbon for me:
1. My phone zipped along in Carbon, but still seems noticeably snappier in LS.
2. QR/Barcode scanner apps (Red Laser & QR Barcode Scanner) work for me in LS, while they didn't in Carbon.
3. I like the additional native ROM features that one might otherwise have to use Xposed in order to get. I'd stopped using Xposed while regularly flashing nightlies. Not because it didn't work (Xposed is great), but because anytime anything didn't work just right, I had to wonder whether it was due to a native ROM build issue or a ROM conflict with Xposed.

I like what Carbon ultimately stands for and strives to be, so I'm not just hating on it, but LS is easily leading the pack for me. Especially with the Carbon ROM build/ROM functionality debacles of late. I hope that Carbon KitKat returns to a good place. It still, rightfully so, has no shortage of fans, myself included.

Upvote 0
I haven't really tried other ROMs since I purchased this smart phone back on Black Friday and the only time I really bothered with CM was during my Optimus V times..I do like the SIII stock keyboard, so what I want to know is if I could use it on this ROM? Also, this kinda puzzles me:
Cleared Out SMS app, courtesy of Team BlackOut
Which SMS app is that? I'm going to give this rom a try since you make it look promising! Thank you for the info and your modified version!
Also, flash MopedRyder's LTE/MMS MOD#3 fix, correct? Thank you!

Upvote 0
I haven't really tried other ROMs since I purchased this smart phone back on Black Friday and the only time I really bothered with CM was during my Optimus V times..I do like the SIII stock keyboard, so what I want to know is if I could use it on this ROM? Also, this kinda puzzles me:
Cleared Out SMS app, courtesy of Team BlackOut
Which SMS app is that? I'm going to give this rom a try since you make it look promising! Thank you for the info and your modified version!
Also, flash MopedRyder's LTE/MMS MOD#3 fix, correct? Thank you!

The SMS app is just the standard one that would normally come with the ROM, but it has a transparent (cleared out) background, so your wallpaper shows instead. If you flash the GApps I uploaded, Hangouts and the Play Store Will also have transparent backgrounds. As far as APN fix, #3 is my preferred one, but another option from the fixes might work better for other users, just depends on the user.

Upvote 0
I posted this a while back in the All Things Mods! thread by @ajnycguy, but here it is again for those who would like it-I am using the keyboard from the LG G2, ripped and provided by @Droidviews, and I must say it is probably the best keyboard I have used on this phone. The keyboard can be themed as well, I am using Evo and really like the way it looks. Plus, the keyboard offers a separate number row, which is nice; to make it work, you will need to add the following line to your build.prop:

ime_extend_row_keyboard=true

Just add it at the end of the build.prop (I used ROM Toolbox Pro) and add a blank line afterwards, save changes, then reboot.

Keyboard download link:

Install LG G2 Stock Keyboard + Themes on Your Android Phone

VXCKunS.png

Upvote 0
I posted this a while back in the All Things Mods! thread by @ajnycguy, but here it is again for those who would like it-I am using the keyboard from the LG G2, ripped and provided by @Droidviews, and I must say it is probably the best keyboard I have used on this phone. The keyboard can be themed as well, I am using Evo and really like the way it looks. Plus, the keyboard offers a separate number row, which is nice; to make it work, you will need to add the following line to your build.prop:

ime_extend_row_keyboard=true

Just add it at the end of the build.prop (I used ROM Toolbox Pro) and add a blank line afterwards, save changes, then reboot.

Keyboard download link:

Install LG G2 Stock Keyboard + Themes on Your Android Phone

VXCKunS.png
Just wondering if you're having ext sd issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones