• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [ROM][MK5][STOCK][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile

I am not sure what the ratio is of root users to non-root users but I imagine if you are a non-root user the update probably wouldn't make a difference.

Being the "geek" that I am, I am astonished at the people I talk to about their phones. I'll ask them something like "what android version is it running" and they tilt their head and say to me "I don't know, what do you mean? It's an S4" haha.. those are the only people I imagine couldn't care less about Knox :smokingsomb:

Very very true my friend! I suspect the rooted community is just a small fraction of the overall population of Android users, but that is kind of sad because we all know what the rest of them are missing out on. Several people I work with or who are in my circle of friends have either the S3 or the S4 and they look at me like I'm speaking Latin when they say "Oh we have the same phone" and I tell them "Kind of but not really."

Upvote 0
How do you know if the knox boot loader went in ?I flashed the update zip threw the stock recovery but unlike other I still can use 6.0.2.8 recovery it seems to be the only recovery that works on my phone with out missing something up !!

You have to go to Download mode instead of Recovery mode, there will be an extra line of info at the bottom which will show the status of the Knox flag (0x0 or 0x1) if the Knox bootloader is installed. If that line of info isn't there be grateful because it means that you are Knox-free.

Upvote 0
Yep I should have, I knew the phones reputation, my HTC died (my job can be hard on phones) and just replaced it. it's hard to learn not to trust, not how I was raised, another hard lesson learned. :-(

Well put, I think ultimately it is a combination of trust and being armed with knowledge! I still think this is a sweet phone and I am definitely intending to get my money's worth out of it, but I will also be very wary in the future when upgrading phones, or any device for that matter.

Upvote 0
Reactions: mtuser
Upvote 0
I am using Philz. Its a 64GB and it was working fine. I removed it before I started the flashing everything. Once I was fully booted up I put it back in and it would start to prepare the sd card but would fail and say sd card safe to remove.

That is the same exact thing that happened to me. Use the software here:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Using a PC and sd adapter, I moved everything off my sd card, formatted it to Fat32, and moved everything back onto it. It now works perfectly!

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for all your hard work jdsingle76! Your guide worked perfectly and I am now on Knox free 4.3 :) I have a question though. If I flashed Rom, WiFi fix, s uperSU, and knox app remover and am having no data issues should I flash MK5 modem as well? My phone is working great without it and would just like to know if I will receive any added benefit from doing so? Thanks again!

Reactions: jdsingle76
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for all your hard work jdsingle76! Your guide worked perfectly and I am now on Knox free 4.3 :) I have a question though. If I flashed Rom, WiFi fix, s uperSU, and knox app remover and am having no data issues should I flash MK5 modem as well? My phone is working great without it and would just like to know if I will receive any added benefit from doing so? Thanks again!

Modems are more of a personal preference, whichever one gives the best service. Sprint ones are valid for us as well. JD actually has zip files posted on XDA containing all three VM modems. I keep them on my SD card for easy changing on the fly,they are flashable from recovery.

Upvote 0
Ok good to know, thanks for the info! Is there a modem you would recommend?

MG2 and MK5 both give me virtually the same results. Check the thread by iMaYG titled "Radios" as I have posted links to all the various modems available in that thread. Essentially, there is no harm in trying them all for long enough to see what gives you the best service/data, changing is just a matter of flashing a new one through recovery, which is why I keep them all in a specific file on my SD card for ease of use. Good luck!

Reactions: badmamajama
Upvote 0
MG2 and MK5 both give me virtually the same results. Check the thread by iMaYG titled "Radios" as I have posted links to all the various modems available in that thread. Essentially, there is no harm in trying them all for long enough to see what gives you the best service/data, changing is just a matter of flashing a new one through recovery, which is why I keep them all in a specific file on my SD card for ease of use. Good luck!

Will do! Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones