• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Recovery][VM]CWM 6.0.4.8 Touch for the LG Optimus F3

You can try the twrp and see. I believe you are doing everything right. It's not like you're a noob to this stuff...right. It's just the lack of experienced Boost owners who may have found solutions who are members on AF. I'm seeing more boost owners reporting problems with trying the recoveries, roms, flash tool, drivers and the like meant for Sprint/VM. Unfortunately I have no Boost F3 so I haven't a clue as to why these issues are occurring or how to fix them. :(

I'm always on the look out for someone who may be able to help you. :D

Here's a bit of news - it appears that I can access the bootloader through Link2SD Plus... maybe another kernel, and voila - possibly, problem solved. I can access CWMT 6.0.4.8 through the same app; problem is, factory reset (!). I wonder if I did a Nandroid backup of the phone in its current state, and rather than reboot - just yank the battery, and see if I can avoid the factory reset... damn it, Jim! I just want a Federation approved ROM... with no Boost BS...

Upvote 0
Here's a bit of news - it appears that I can access the bootloader through Link2SD Plus... maybe another kernel, and voila - possibly, problem solved. I can access CWMT 6.0.4.8 through the same app; problem is, factory reset (!). I wonder if I did a Nandroid backup of the phone in its current state, and rather than reboot - just yank the battery, and see if I can avoid the factory reset... damn it, Jim! I just want a Federation approved ROM... with no Boost BS...
That won't work. The factory reset function is in the bootloader. The bootloader is locked so there is no way to deactivate it. The reset or wiping of the data and cache partitions happens at boot. The factory reset mode is not the same thing as the stock recovery either. The stock recovery has blue text and a limited menu of functions. It will say e3 at the top of the screen as well. The factory reset mode is white text only and has two choices, ok or cancel. I've seen a few members get the two confused.

Reactions: LOveWerks
Upvote 0
That won't work. The factory reset function is in the bootloader. The bootloader is locked so there is no way to deactivate it. The reset or wiping of the data and cache partitions happens at boot. The factory reset mode is not the same thing as the stock recovery either. The stock recovery has blue text and a limited menu of functions. It will say e3 at the top of the screen as well. The factory reset mode is white text only and has two choices, ok or cancel. I've seen a few members get the two confused.

What a bummer... I need more help than I realized... keep your ears to the ground, and I'll do the same... maybe, trade this phone for something more user-friendly... LW

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem getting into recovery. I don't know if it's my timing or what, but no matter what I do I get the factory reset prompt that I always cancel. I'm rooted, and I did not have any errors when running the batch file to install CWM.

When rebooting, I hold down vol- and power button once the first LG logo comes up until the factory reset comes up. How long should I be holding it down? And when starting up, when I hold them down nothing happens, it just boots up normally.

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem getting into recovery. I don't know if it's my timing or what, but no matter what I do I get the factory reset prompt that I always cancel. I'm rooted, and I did not have any errors when running the batch file to install CWM.

When rebooting, I hold down vol- and power button once the first LG logo comes up until the factory reset comes up. How long should I be holding it down? And when starting up, when I hold them down nothing happens, it just boots up normally.

The installation of the recovery didn't take. Try using the 2nd method in the OP and see if that works.

Upvote 0
Still not working. One thing that's strange is that the "aboot" and "recovery" files were 500kb and 9,500kb right after I pasted them, but when I rebooted now both of them are NA according to ES.

The lack of file size is normal for Android.

I have no idea why it isn't working. This phone model can be a pain in the ass. What works on one doesn't always work on another...really strange. All I can say is to try a different recovery since we now have 4. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(:eek:

Upvote 0
The lack of file size is normal for Android.

I have no idea why it isn't working. This phone model can be a pain in the ass. What works on one doesn't always work on another...really strange. All I can say is to try a different recovery since we now have 4. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(:eek:
You're telling me! The Qslide delete doesn't work either for this phone. I wish LG would make modding more friendly for their phones, they'd probably sell more of them.

Upvote 0
You're telling me! The Qslide delete doesn't work either for this phone. I wish LG would make modding more friendly for their phones, they'd probably sell more of them.

You're telling me! My F3 - though still working - is trapped with sdext2 in read-only mode, CWMT 6.0.4.8 only accessible through Link2SD Plus, which always triggers a factory reset at reboot.. I wish that this phone was an HTC or Samsung. I'm awaiting assistance with some scripts to use in Terminal Emulator - I will post the results when I get them.

Sent from my @#*

Upvote 0
I'll try to help if I can. A couple of questions first. Does your path to the backup files look like this; external_SD/clockworkmod/backup/2014-xx-xx.xx.xx where the 'xx' is the month, day and time of the backup? Did you by chance change any of the folder names mentioned above? I realize you may have already answered these questions in another post but please bare with me. I need to clarify a few things at this point so I can mark them off the list of possible causes.

Upvote 0
Okay, that was crazy weird. I just tried it again so I could see if I could get a better look at the error messages, and it went into it okay this time. However, it got to data and:

Restoring data...
Error mounting /data!
Skipping format ...
Can't mount /data

It now seems to be stuck and the little progress bar isn't moving.

Obviously, I don't want to simply reboot it or anything, it's messed up enough already. ;)

The numbered backup folder has two data files in it, see the snip below for details.

View attachment 76573

What's the next step?

Wow, that IS very strange. Usually if it won't mount data it means the phone has factory reset. In that case you would have to cycle through a reboot and back into recovery again for it to work. Only problem is you say it's stuck at data restore. I have never seen this happen before. I'm at a lose as to telling you what to do at this point without causing further grief. All I can say is to try holding the power button down until it restarts (the phone has a power over-ride built in). If it does boot, go back to recovery and try it again. If it doesn't, pull the battery and put it back in, then enter recovery and try again.

Man, I'm truly sorry you're having to dealing with this nightmare of a phone. :eek:

Upvote 0
That is exactly what happened. SuperSU prompted me to install via CWM, and it tried to reboot around the bootloader...reset. Ugh. Lost so much stuff from something so stupid.

As I'm reading your post, what I need to do is reboot to recovery from the CWM menu? Then restart the restore and it should go?

That's what I'm trying now, and it's back into the restore process.

Unfortunately it hung on data again. I tried advanced restore at that point and selected data, and got the same error, "Can't mount /data", now it's checking md5 sums.

One more note: When I selected reboot recovery from CWM, it says:

ROM may flash stock recovery on
THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE.

Should this be NO or "Yes, disable recovery flash"??? I disabled it the first go around. What does it mean if the ROM flashes the stock recovery? It doesn't sound good, though.

No, no, you can't use reboot-recovery. That command will resets the phone everytime. You can only use key combo to enter recovery. I know it's confusing but you have to reboot and then restart the phone and with key combo re-enter recovery and try the restore again.

Upvote 0
Actually, reboot recovery doesn't reset it, it just goes back into CWM. Weird, right? (I didn't try reboot to bootloader, I know that will reset it!!).

I did a power off and restart into CWM and tried the restore again, and once again it stalls at data, same error mounting it.

So can you answer the other question? When I try to reboot recovery or power down from CWM, it asks"

THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE.
Options are
NO
Yes - Disable recovery flash

Each time I have restarted I have clicked yes to disable the recovery flash.

Should I be choosing no?

I'm trying to avoid bricking it again, though at this point if I had a clean V08 I'd probably go that route.

I think I've decided I'll never own another LG phone.

Too much painful stupidity.

That option is for if you are flashing a rom with a recovery built in. Just choose "No". As far as the reset issue, you have to fully reboot before you go back into recovery. The data wipe does not happen until the phone is rebooting. You must reboot first then restart the phone and use key combo.

And yes I defiantly agree, this is the last LG product I'll ever own. ;)

Upvote 0
That is exactly what happened. SuperSU prompted me to install via CWM, and it tried to reboot around the bootloader...reset. Ugh. Lost so much stuff from something so stupid.

As I'm reading your post, what I need to do is reboot to recovery from the CWM menu? Then restart the restore and it should go?

That's what I'm trying now, and it's back into the restore process.

Unfortunately it hung on data again. I tried advanced restore at that point and selected data, and got the same error, "Can't mount /data", now it's checking md5 sums.

One more note: When I selected reboot recovery from CWM, it says:

THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE.

Should this be NO or "Yes, disable recovery flash"??? I disabled it the first go around. What does it mean if the ROM flashes the stock recovery? It doesn't sound good, though.

I'm following anything that has to do with the LG F3; now, I'm being harassed by a new System Update... since I can't back anything up due my phone's issues, I don't DARE to update from v7... I'm ready to part company with this phone as soon as it is financially possible, and change carriers, if necessary. I and my fianc

Upvote 0
Are you rooted? Running a custom recovery? Custom themes?

How possible/painful the update is depends on the answers to that question.

xclusive has a current thread on ver8...

This is Boost Mobile's version... gherkaul can tell you all about my sdext2 read-only problem, I can only access CWMT 6.0.4.8 (VM) through Link2SD Plus, with the inevitable factory reset at reboot. I managed to get Universal init.d working... Root was accomplished with Towelroot; BusyBox free, SuperSU, et cetera - if you have any help, I'd appreciate it - LW... at least the phone still works, though I can't move anything from sd0 to external SD... I'm all eyes :)

Sent from my @#*

Upvote 0
I can't get into CWMT at all, I've tried everything. This phone is weird in that it is very inconsistent from one phone to the next. Things may work for one when nothing works for the next.

I can get the phone to do more things after activating Universal init.d; on one occasion, sdext2 disappeared from my \ ... device through external SD... I thought I was in a dream, like the Gingerbread days; but, when Google play quits, it's time to reboot, and you're starting from scratch. AndroidGuy1991 had a script posted at AndroidCentral (that went along with the Universal init.d download), and now - I can't find it via Google search. I've been to XDA and got a crash course in typical Terminal Emulator commands; my knowledge is growing, but, I'd rather apply it to an HTC or Samsung... this LS720 is getting on my last nerve; you find yourself getting closer with apps like Remount, Link2SD Plus, and Terminal Emulator - but when this thing resets, it resets back to near-stock... when you can't access recovery, and your bootloader is read-only, you're screwed... then, here comes v8... I read that someone here has some skinny on that, but, with Forum Runner, things aren't as easy to find like when you're on a PC or Mac... hopefully, I'll find it eventually... LW

Sent from my @#*

Upvote 0
I can get the phone to do more things after activating Universal init.d; on one occasion, sdext2 disappeared from my \ ... device through external SD... I thought I was in a dream, like the Gingerbread days; but, when Google play quits, it's time to reboot, and you're starting from scratch. AndroidGuy1991 had a script posted at AndroidCentral (that went along with the Universal init.d download), and now - I can't find it via Google search. I've been to XDA and got a crash course in typical Terminal Emulator commands; my knowledge is growing, but, I'd rather apply it to an HTC or Samsung... this LS720 is getting on my last nerve; you find yourself getting closer with apps like Remount, Link2SD Plus, and Terminal Emulator - but when this thing resets, it resets back to near-stock... when you can't access recovery, and your bootloader is read-only, you're screwed... then, here comes v8... I read that someone here has some skinny on that, but, with Forum Runner, things aren't as easy to find like when you're on a PC or Mac... hopefully, I'll find it eventually... LW

Sent from my @#*

Reactions: LOveWerks
Upvote 0
Yeah, I've just about had it with LG's nonsense. Three updates in the same year is insane. Just goes to show this phone was not ready for the market. But money talks and the consumers desire for a descent low level phone is not important to them. That's why I think I'll be switching to the Samsung S3 soon. I'm ready for a Flagship instead of a dingy, lol. ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've just about had it with LG's nonsense. Three updates in the same year is insane. Just goes to show this phone was not ready for the market. But money talks and the consumers desire for a descent low level phone is not important to them. That's why I think I'll be switching to the Samsung S3 soon. I'm ready for a Flagship instead of a dingy, lol. ;)
The S3 is 2.5 years old at this point, is it worth the $200 price tag? The cheapie HTC for $99 looks good, but there's no flash and I use my flash as a light almost daily. If only Tmobile or AT$T worked well where I live I'd have switched a long time ago.

Upvote 0
The S3 is 2.5 years old at this point, is it worth the $200 price tag? The cheapie HTC for $99 looks good, but there's no flash and I use my flash as a light almost daily. If only Tmobile or AT$T worked well where I live I'd have switched a long time ago.

The age of the phone is not what's important but whether there are custom roms available, which there are, KitKat being just one of many. Not to mention there is still active development going on for the S3. As far as T-M or AT&T their plans are just to expensive when you add data and text messaging to the plan ($70 to $80 or more as opposed to $35 a month for everything).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones