• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] What can I safely remove?

Amateur here. I was able to root my phone (VM LG Optimus F3 V6) using the saferoot method as outlined here: http://optimus-f3.wikispaces.com/root

I've installed Titanium Backup, as recommended, but I'm at a loss as to what to remove. Titanium is telling me that if I remove certain things my phone may not work (I went to remove QuickMemo, for example) because they're a part of the main ROM or whatever. I'd prefer not to take the chance, particularly if someone here has already gone down this road and can put together a list of what can be safely removed.

My goal is to remove as much of the "bloat" as possible, perhaps speeding up the phone a bit but, more importantly, just getting it down to a bare bones setup, which is how I like things - with just what I need on it.

I'd especially like to get rid of the annoying startup theme - the VM jingle with the dancing girls.

Thanks

I would also install CWM Recovery and make a backup before touching any system apps "safe" to remove or not, and after that first freeze apps with titanium backup and reboot and use your phone for a bit to see if there is going to be any problems.

These are what I removed a while ago

Application Manager
Backup
Browser
Calendar (DO NOT REMOVE CALENDAR STORAGE)
Chrome (Can remove I just move updates back to system but you also have to copy the libs in the apk to \system\lib)
Dictionary
Downloads
Email
File Manager
Gmail (removable but I keep)
Maps (removable but I keep)
Memo
Music
Navigation (removable but I keep)
Play Books
Play Magazines
Play Movies & TV
Play Music
Polaris Viewer 4
Quick Translator
Task Manager
Video Wiz
YouTube (removable but I keep)

There is more just have not checked yet

Reactions: unclevername
Upvote 0
I would also install CWM Recovery and make a backup before touching any system apps "safe" to remove or not, and after that first freeze apps with titanium backup and reboot and use your phone for a bit to see if there is going to be any problems.

These are what I removed a while ago

Application Manager
Backup
Browser
Calendar (DO NOT REMOVE CALENDAR STORAGE)
Chrome (Can remove I just move updates back to system but you also have to copy the libs in the apk to \system\lib)
Dictionary
Downloads
Email
File Manager
Gmail (removable but I keep)
Maps (removable but I keep)
Memo
Music
Navigation (removable but I keep)
Play Books
Play Magazines
Play Movies & TV
Play Music
Polaris Viewer 4
Quick Translator
Task Manager
Video Wiz
YouTube (removable but I keep)

There is more just have not checked yet

jmpiv4, have you installed CWM Recovery on yours? I seem to remember reading in other threads that it isn't safe for our phone. Also, what is the difference between the backup I'd be making with CWM Recovery and the one I just made with Titanium Backup? Is the CWM better somehow?

One other thing: when I went to the app store and searched for "CWM Recovery" a plethora of different apps came up. The first one on the list is "Rom Manager" which, after doing a little research, it seems to me that it includes CWM Recovery within it. Is this correct? The other prominent one is MK802 CWM Recovery. Again, in regards to Rom Manager, I've read in these threads that it isn't safe for the VM LG Optimus F3 V6. What is your opinion on that?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
jmpiv4, have you installed CWM Recovery on yours? I seem to remember reading in other threads that it isn't safe for our phone. Also, what is the difference between the backup I'd be making with CWM Recovery and the one I just made with Titanium Backup? Is the CWM better somehow?

One other thing: when I went to the app store and searched for "CWM Recovery" a plethora of different apps came up. The first one on the list is "Rom Manager" which, after doing a little research, it seems to me that it includes CWM Recovery within it. Is this correct? The other prominent one is MK802 CWM Recovery. Again, in regards to Rom Manager, I've read in these threads that it isn't safe for the VM LG Optimus F3 V6. What is your opinion on that?

Thanks!

Do not use play store apps for this.

Use info in following link
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6533531

Reactions: unclevername
Upvote 0
I'd especially like to get rid of the annoying startup theme - the VM jingle with the dancing girls.
If you're rooted, you can do that by using a good root-capable file manager and replacing this sound file: "/system/media/audio/ui/PowerOn_Virgin.ogg". For my purposes, I opened up the original .ogg file in an audio editor and wiped out everything except the initial "electricity" sound, which is non-annoying. (It might be possible to just remove the sound file altogether, but I won't take that chance.)

I'll attach a .zip file to this post with a couple of sounds in it: the cropped version of "PowerOn_Virgin.ogg", and also "silence.ogg," which is exactly what you think: 0.1 seconds of no sound at all.

If there are other UI sounds that annoy you (in /system/media/audio/ui/), make a backup copy (just call the backup files "XXXXX-original.ogg" or whatever) and put a renamed copy of "silence.ogg" in their place. Me, I replaced "LG_Cable_Connect.ogg" and "FullBattery.ogg" with The Sound Of Silence, because I don't want a beep happening in either of those situations!

Oh, I've also created a quieter version of "Effect_Tick.ogg" for myself, so I tossed that in the ZIP file as well.

Attachments

• sounds.zip
    144.3 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Do you know if google plus can be removed safely?

Yes, it can. I removed it from my F3. The list above for removing apps is a good one, but I used this list:

Safe apps to remove

Still, I might consider using the one in this thread (or cross reference the vmroms one with the one here), as I'm beginning to miss using the phone dialer codes for certain internal functions. I think I have a nandroid of V5. Will check to see if using robaho's modified v6 prevents me from using the dialer codes.

After much thought... decided not to revert to V5. Besides, as I'm using stock V6, I should still receive that prompt for the Kit Kat upgrade, if we F3 VM users will ever get it. Or save some money now for a Kyocera Hydro Vibe or Volt... hmmm!!!

"Damn!"

"Damn, damn!" LOL :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones