1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Virtual Box

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Savage Shadows, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Savage Shadows

Savage Shadows Android Enthusiast

I downloaded Virtual Box from Oracle, and am running Ubuntu 12.04 with the purpose of working on kernels for Android. I've read that Perl is a good program to unpack boot.img files. Should I use Perl, or is there something else I should use?

Or, should I not even be using a virtual machine to unpack and edit? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm sure I'll have other questions along the way, I'm just starting to learn. So I decided to open a thread to post them instead of posting these unrelated question in other threads.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 2fast4u88

2fast4u88 Android Enthusiast

Unpacking a boot image will serve no purpose on building kernels. The kernel image is inside the boot.img and is already compiled as the zimage. Then to build a kernel you don't need to unpack the boot.img either.

Edit: Sorry missed the spot where you said you had ubuntu setup. If setup you need to setup your dev tools, sdk, get a toolchain and the kernel source. O and ditch ubuntu it blows, install mint...

3. cookiefrog

cookiefrog Well-Known Member

+1 on mint
    And if you are on a compatible 64 bit machine and ask nicely 2fast might even share his custom bfs linux kernel....

:)

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

4. 2fast4u88

Lol I forgot about that :p

5. Savage Shadows

Well then, if 64 bit windows 7 ultimate with 4gb ram does the trick, here goes!
    [​IMG]

6. Savage Shadows

Also. What toolchain would you recommend? I see different ones use different codes. I've only ever learned html and c++, and I understand I will have to learn probably a couple different languages. But I do understand the basics of code and can catch on without much trouble. So, yeah, toolchain suggestions? And what languages should I be trying to learn?

7. 2fast4u88

Not to be a d!ck but did you read the read me in the kernel source? If so I believe it says 4.4.3. Where you are welcome to use which ever you feel like, but I notice really not difference. Right now I have reverted back to the one supplied via aosp. If you want to use a newer version depending on the version the source may need to be edited to build. That or it may break some things as well.

As for the code I am pretty sure you could have found it searching. But it is c and assembly code. I was planning to do a guide but haven't got that far. How ever all you really need to know is the following:

• Download source and extract
    • Set makefile in root of source to point to your toolchain. Look for the cross compile line.
    • Do not use the supplied kingdom config as it doesn't work. You will need to pull the one from the stock kernel.
    • Place .config in your source
    • Cd source
    • Make menuconfig and edit options you want
    • Then type make or make -j4 for good measure

8. Savage Shadows

Sorry, I think I'm trying to go faster than I should. Maybe I'll just tinker around, and then just learn what I need to when I get to that point.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews