• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Savage Shadows

Android Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I downloaded Virtual Box from Oracle, and am running Ubuntu 12.04 with the purpose of working on kernels for Android. I've read that Perl is a good program to unpack boot.img files. Should I use Perl, or is there something else I should use?

Or, should I not even be using a virtual machine to unpack and edit? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm sure I'll have other questions along the way, I'm just starting to learn. So I decided to open a thread to post them instead of posting these unrelated question in other threads.

I downloaded Virtual Box from Oracle, and am running Ubuntu 12.04 with the purpose of working on kernels for Android. I've read that Perl is a good program to unpack boot.img files. Should I use Perl, or is there something else I should use?

Or, should I not even be using a virtual machine to unpack and edit? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm sure I'll have other questions along the way, I'm just starting to learn. So I decided to open a thread to post them instead of posting these unrelated question in other threads.

Unpacking a boot image will serve no purpose on building kernels. The kernel image is inside the boot.img and is already compiled as the zimage. Then to build a kernel you don't need to unpack the boot.img either.

Edit: Sorry missed the spot where you said you had ubuntu setup. If setup you need to setup your dev tools, sdk, get a toolchain and the kernel source. O and ditch ubuntu it blows, install mint...

Upvote 0
Unpacking a boot image will serve no purpose on building kernels. The kernel image is inside the boot.img and is already compiled as the zimage. Then to build a kernel you don't need to unpack the boot.img either.

Edit: Sorry missed the spot where you said you had ubuntu setup. If setup you need to setup your dev tools, sdk, get a toolchain and the kernel source. O and ditch ubuntu it blows, install mint...

+1 on mint
And if you are on a compatible 64 bit machine and ask nicely 2fast might even share his custom bfs linux kernel....

:)

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Well then, if 64 bit windows 7 ultimate with 4gb ram does the trick, here goes!
puppy-dog-eyes-emoticon-i6.jpg

Upvote 0
Also. What toolchain would you recommend? I see different ones use different codes. I've only ever learned html and c++, and I understand I will have to learn probably a couple different languages. But I do understand the basics of code and can catch on without much trouble. So, yeah, toolchain suggestions? And what languages should I be trying to learn?

Upvote 0
Not to be a d!ck but did you read the read me in the kernel source? If so I believe it says 4.4.3. Where you are welcome to use which ever you feel like, but I notice really not difference. Right now I have reverted back to the one supplied via aosp. If you want to use a newer version depending on the version the source may need to be edited to build. That or it may break some things as well.

As for the code I am pretty sure you could have found it searching. But it is c and assembly code. I was planning to do a guide but haven't got that far. How ever all you really need to know is the following:

• Download source and extract
  • Set makefile in root of source to point to your toolchain. Look for the cross compile line.
  • Do not use the supplied kingdom config as it doesn't work. You will need to pull the one from the stock kernel.
  • Place .config in your source
  • Cd source
  • Make menuconfig and edit options you want
  • Then type make or make -j4 for good measure

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones