• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice activated camera shutter

My Galaxy s21 has this as a setting in the phone app (under "Shooting methods"). If the Tab doesn't have that then there's nothing you can do, apart from ask Samsung (a long shot).

Can Google Assistant or Bixby do this as an alternative? I keep both turned off, but I think voice control of at least some functions is part of what they can do.

Upvote 0
My Galaxy s21 has this as a setting in the phone app (under "Shooting methods"). If the Tab doesn't have that then there's nothing you can do, apart from ask Samsung (a long shot).

Can Google Assistant or Bixby do this as an alternative? I keep both turned off, but I think voice control of at least some functions is part of what they can do.
I'll have a look at those options, but I am somewhat surprised that the same versions don't offer the same features. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'll have a look at those options, but I am somewhat surprised that the same versions don't offer the same features. Thanks.
System software is built for each model separately, so having "the same" version need not mean the same features in all cases. Sometimes a manufacturer may include or leave out a feature because the hardware differs, sometimes they will do it for "market segmentation" reasons (e.g. leave a feature out of a lower-end or older device even though the hardware can support it just fine).

Why they would leave it out of a relatively recent flagship tablet is not obvious. If I was forced to guess I might wonder whether it's because the camera hardware is more like Samsung were putting in budget phones of 2020 than flagship ones and so it gets a version of the camera app aimed at those lower-end devices? That's pure speculation, but you could imagine something like that happening without much thought involved.

Reactions: PhillT and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Google Assistant does work on my Pixel 7 for this - 'hey Google take a picture' launches the camera, tells you to get ready and after a few seconds takes the picture. It comes in handy every now and again.
That doesn't fit the bill for me. I need it to take the shot on command, like my phone does.
Why it isn't available on the tablet is a mystery to me.

Upvote 0
That doesn't fit the bill for me. I need it to take the shot on command, like my phone does.
Why it isn't available on the tablet is a mystery to me.
cuz most people do not use tablets for photos or making videos. so it is probably not a popular enough feature to include it on a tablet.
I'll have a look-see.
let us know if there is one that works or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones