• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

W O R S T APP: So Far

Rico ANDROID

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2011
In Cell Phone SIMetery
What are some of the worst apps you would not recommend? I have a few.

1374466675_picsay-1374466675.jpg

Any app that places ads on the notification bar.

Any app that works on a tablet, but does not have a landscape mode. It sucks when using an Asus transformer with the keyboard dock.

Any app that can work in landscape that is totally designed with portrait in mind and with no thought on making it look proper in landscape. These apps look like portrait mode with only the top half of the portrait screen visible.

Upvote 0
Any app with a Playstore rating less than 3.5 (although I generally don't try anything less than 4.0). Any app not on my Nexus 7 :).

+ 1 - what he said! I want to see 4.4 or higher. I'll cut some slack with newer programs that might still be working through the bugs because less ratings means a bigger fluctuation. But if it's got a couple thousand ratings and it's below 4.4 I move on to something else.

Even with high rated apps I read the most recent reviews to make sure there are not newly induced horror-show problems with recent up-revs.

Upvote 0
Any app that places ads on the notification bar.

Any app that works on a tablet, but does not have a landscape mode. It sucks when using an Asus transformer with the keyboard dock.

Any app that can work in landscape that is totally designed with portrait in mind and with no thought on making it look proper in landscape. These apps look like portrait mode with only the top half of the portrait screen visible.

OH I hear YOU bro! I am a landscape kinda guy and I Hate it when that happens

Upvote 0
Any specific app names, or would that violate some site policy?

My most recent beef is enhanced email. I had to turn the thing off. I get 100s of backlogged emails that never get deleted from the server like the ten dollar app claims it does.

I am getting force closes ANY time I modify the setting, say, I go in lately to check the "delete from server setting to assure I got it right, and dayam! it force closes AND still I get tons of email. Good thing I still have unlimited data.

Wont go into further details. its a declinintg 3.9 the bad ratings increasing on this app

Upvote 0
Developers for Launcher Pro Plus either walked away from a good thing like Dell disowned the Streak and others at picking up the ball and making better apps! Like The Galaxy Note 2 smoked the Streak. Or who knows what happened.

Launcher Pro Plus Last Update : 05/17/2011 but holds a steady 4.5 rating with 86 posted user ratings since April 1/2013. so the app is still being downloaded and liked but many features are not working as newer OS are released.

Upvote 0
Some app ratings on Play I ignore. If the app is astronomical, it's usually been hashed and rehashed to death on Cloudy Nights. I'll take their recommendations. They actually use the app in the field and can give far better reports.

I don't know if the change about + to post has done anything, but the one liners "great" and "sucks" are NOT very explanatory yet the vote counts.

Launchers have also been hashed and rehashed here. If the launcher does what I want and works, that's great. It doesn't have to wash windows and whistle "Dixie"
Biggest necessity - get rid of the search bar. I won't use it, don't want it and it hides parts of the pictures I like. (I use my own pics as wallpaper.) Browsers been gone over with a fine tooth comb.

There's enough serious reviews posted here from people who can explain why or why not they like something. Counters the fanboys very well.

I read updates first. If I no like, I no do. If I no do, then don't pester me. If I bought the app, I bought the app and shouldn't have to update if it's working perfectly for now. I've had to question 2 updates recently. Company explained why and it was OK.

I ignore the "MUST HAVE" type nonsense.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Developers for Launcher Pro Plus either walked away from a good thing like Dell disowned the Streak and others at picking up the ball and making better apps! Like The Galaxy Note 2 smoked the Streak. Or who knows what happened.

Launcher Pro Plus Last Update : 05/17/2011 but holds a steady 4.5 rating with 86 posted user ratings since April 1/2013. so the app is still being downloaded and liked but many features are not working as newer OS are released.

ADW.Launcher FTW!

Upvote 0
Like the youtube app?

I put that, enhanced email, gethuman , most reverse-call apps and a few others on
my list of. ☆‡must-notz‡☆

My current list of 1Star - Minus:

☆- Youtube (Why do I need an app?)
☆- Ehnanced Email (anything but enhanced)
☆- Gethuman (totally fail)
☆- Reverse Call (dud)

Reactions: divinebovine
Upvote 0
Some app ratings on Play I ignore. If the app is astronomical, it's usually been hashed and rehashed to death on Cloudy Nights. I'll take their recommendations. They actually use the app in the field and can give far better reports.

I don't know if the change about + to post has done anything, but the one liners "great" and "sucks" are NOT very explanatory yet the vote counts.

Launchers have also been hashed and rehashed here. If the launcher does what I want and works, that's great. It doesn't have to wash windows and whistle "Dixie"
Biggest necessity - get rid of the search bar. I won't use it, don't want it and it hides parts of the pictures I like. (I use my own pics as wallpaper.) Browsers been gone over with a fine tooth comb.

There's enough serious reviews posted here from people who can explain why or why not they like something. Counters the fanboys very well.

I read updates first. If I no like, I no do. If I no do, then don't pester me. If I bought the app, I bought the app and shouldn't have to update if it's working perfectly for now. I've had to question 2 updates recently. Company explained why and it was OK.

I ignore the "MUST HAVE" type nonsense.

[Said in a rolling-"r", 'beautiful-sultry foreign-spy-romantic'esc sort of voice]♥♥♪

Upvote 0
Some app ratings on Play I ignore. If the app is astronomical, it's usually been hashed and rehashed to death on Cloudy Nights.

Sorry for being thick but I have absolutely no idea what this means. A quick sweep of Google leaves me none the wiser too.

With regards to my own 'pet hates' any app that pushes ads to my notification bar gets immediately uninstalled. I don't care how great the app is.

Upvote 0
Sorry for being thick but I have absolutely no idea what this means. A quick sweep of Google leaves me none the wiser too.

With regards to my own 'pet hates' any app that pushes ads to my notification bar gets immediately uninstalled. I don't care how great the app is.

I think the Zeub means just that, if an app is good, its good, if it aint, it aint . I do find myself curled up on some nights hashing though my android-buddy T.E.D.5, purging alls i thought were useful or apps my inventory log says ive not used since it was installex months ago.

Like you, i dont like any app taking over my notification bar. When i first went androidil, i downloaded some copy/paste app (cant remember the name) where, after an update i blindly accepted (i like zeub's coment where i dont need "every" update if the prior works for me), l started getting ads on the phone and notification bar, i started uninstalling starting with last installed then realized its an update to an app installed early on. Was irritating

Upvote 0
Cloudy Nights is an astronomical forum. They discuss everything under the sun that pertains to astronomy with a bit of off topic.

People can run telescopes with devices. I could have run my LX-10 with Astromist on Palm! So that tech has been around for quite a while. There's Apple, Android, Windows and Linux lovers plus some of the devs for apps on the forum. It's a lot better than "stunning" or "sucks"

It would be like a hardcore gamer who would probably check out a more advanced forum for what she/he was interested in.

We get reviews here that are quite good. Sometimes they are under a specific phone rather than in general view. If some with a Samsung phone pan an app, and others with HTC praise it, what does that tell you? That usually isn't included in the reviews.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
The guy from Enhanced Email offered to give me a refund...its been 2 years now and that app is such a flop. It never worked consistently for 2 months straight. I am not talking about users with one or two accounts and doesn't care if the app keeps throwing deleted emails back into your accounts;.

If the app says it deletes mass counts of emails , then it should do so.. the dev only caters to a selected few and the hell with the rest.

Not worth 10dollars

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones