• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Walk Me Thru Rooting My Eris

Well if everyone still says it's the trackball then I guess it's the trackball. I was just thinking that the battery or something else might be causing it seeing as with other phones I've had any issue similar to this has been the battery. Then again this is unlike any phone that I've had before.

Also, has anyone had any issues with downloaded ringtones skipping around and cutting out when they play as the ringtone but work fine when you are on the selection screen just listening through the ringtones? I have the RingTone app Mp3 Ring tone app and Zedge. I haven't pinpointed which ringtones from which app are doing it but it's only my downloaded ones. Just a curiosity question.

Upvote 0
Well as good of care that I take of all my phones the unthinkable happened to move last night.... I took my 12 dollar case off of it because after handling it with brake fluid on my hands the paint started coming off. Yeah so that's the ok part. Last night I went to put it in my pocket while standing by my jeep with my neighbor and out drops to the asphalt not even 3 feet off the ground and cracks the screen all to hell. So, do I put up with the destroyed screen until the end of the month and continue to get little pieces of it in my thumb, try and get a new screen, or see if verizon will be nice and let me upgrade 25 days early without a big charge? Help me out here guys and gals...I'm super pissed that I even did this in the first place, so I'd like a good fast fix, please?

Upvote 0
Well as good of care that I take of all my phones the unthinkable happened to move last night.... I took my 12 dollar case off of it because after handling it with brake fluid on my hands the paint started coming off. Yeah so that's the ok part. Last night I went to put it in my pocket while standing by my jeep with my neighbor and out drops to the asphalt not even 3 feet off the ground and cracks the screen all to hell. So, do I put up with the destroyed screen until the end of the month and continue to get little pieces of it in my thumb, try and get a new screen, or see if verizon will be nice and let me upgrade 25 days early without a big charge? Help me out here guys and gals...I'm super pissed that I even did this in the first place, so I'd like a good fast fix, please?

Verizon will probably let you upgrade.

Upvote 0

I'm glad I don't have your luck lol. I dropped mine yesterday for the 100th time and my battery cover broke. I had it duct taped yesterday but last night I super glued it to try and hold the crack. Figured I'd try it and see if it holds up later. You can get replacement screens off of ebay fairly inexpensive if you want to try replacing it...
htc eris screen | eBay Bu if you talk to VZ they might let you upgrade a little early if your account is in good standing.. It's only 3 weeks. And if I'm correct, If your account is paid up to date, those 3 weeks are already paid for. It seems like we pay a month in advance but I don't really pay attention to my bill... I just pay them and move on lol.

Upvote 0
Without rapeing me on the price? My idea was to either get a new phone in the store or a cpo. But I will get an android, I will get insurance, and will eventually root it. I just don't want them to stock me with a huge 500 bill for a new phone because I'm having to upgrade early.

I have a business account where as I deal directly with the same buisness rep so I'm sure that's different. But simply asking them should yeild your answer. And I've paid 500.00 dollar bills.:eek:

Upvote 0
Yeah I just deal with the pos phone before I pay full retail for a replacement. And I don't have bad luck really, it is just the way things happened this time. I could have a brand new phone, never drop it and never abuse it at all and in 2 months it will crap out. Say least that used to happen. Lol. I dried my eris but in it's cheap case and never hurt it. This time, no case equals a busted screen. I will call tomorrow...wait today, working nights has its perks.

Upvote 0
Yeah I just deal with the pos phone before I pay full retail for a replacement. And I don't have bad luck really, it is just the way things happened this time. I could have a brand new phone, never drop it and never abuse it at all and in 2 months it will crap out. Say least that used to happen. Lol. I dried my eris but in it's cheap case and never hurt it. This time, no case equals a busted screen. I will call tomorrow...wait today, working nights has its perks.

One other idea... If they for some reason won't let you upgrade and you can still use your phone with the cracked screen.. Get a screen protector from Walmart or somewhere. It'll at least keep the pieces in place instead of your thumb untill the end of the month ;):D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well I have somewhat good news...I just spoke with a Verizon rep online and told him what happened and what I was looking to do. He said to call customer service and tell them the same thing and that they should be able to move the date up to where I can get an upgrade now. So...here is the question....the big money question. I don't want to get one of the newest phones out there. The Thunderbolt is an option since it's been out for a little bit. But I'm not going to get the Charge. I would like to get maybe the incredible 2 or just the incredible. I was and am looking for a less costly phone out of pocket so I was looking at CPO's. Big problem they don't have the Incredible listed online and the droid they do have is the droid 2 global but it's out of stock. Now I won't ever use the global feature so is it really worth it to get that phone when I already love HTC? Throw me some feedback here everyone and help me on my way to a new and faster android phone.

Upvote 0
My already fast / awesome Droid X just got awesomer :)eek: :D ;)) with the official GingerBread OTA this past week.

Seriously, it feels like 20-30% faster (and there were many improvements from Froyo to GB that accounts for this). I know its not HTC, but I love my X.

If you want an unlocked bootloader though, you'll need to look elsewhere than Moto for the time being until they signal like HTC did.

Good luck...:)

Upvote 0
The Thunderbolt is an option since it's been out for a little bit. But I'm not going to get the Charge. I would like to get maybe the incredible 2 or just the incredible. I was and am looking for a less costly phone out of pocket so I was looking at CPO's. Big problem they don't have the Incredible listed online and the droid they do have is the droid 2 global but it's out of stock. Now I won't ever use the global feature so is it really worth it to get that phone when I already love HTC? Throw me some feedback here everyone and help me on my way to a new and faster android phone.
thunderbolt without a doubt! :D tho my opinion may be biased ;)

what is important to you in a phone? if you dont want a big phone,then youre left with an incredible or incredible 2. the charge,revolution,and TB are all 4.3" screens.

4g? screen quality?

the charge does have a nice amoled screen,i have to admit that. tho it does have less ram,and less internal memory storage than the TB.

do you plan to root? if not,youre looking at "touchwiz" on the charge,motorblur on any moto devices,socilaite(or whatever :eek:) on LG,and sense on htc,wich youre somewhat familiar with. nothing wrong with staying stock,but may sure you play with the phones alot and make sure you are fairly sure you can live with the mfg skin.

if you are going to root,the thunderbolt is your best choice. the inc2 has not been permanetly rooted or fitted with an engineering bootloader yet, the charge development community is very small at this point,and motorola devices are locked down with encrypted bootloaders.

personally,i am very partial to HTC phones :cool:

My already fast / awesome Droid X just got awesomer :)eek: :D ;)) with the official GingerBread OTA this past week.

Seriously, it feels like 20-30% faster (and there were many improvements from Froyo to GB that accounts for this). I know its not HTC, but I love my X.

If you want an unlocked bootloader though, you'll need to look elsewhere than Moto for the time being until they signal like HTC did.

Good luck...:)
scary,is your X not rooted? i feel ya... GB is awsome... ive been using it for a couple months now,lol. the pre-alpha cm7 build for my TB is working well,and hopefully soon theyll have RIL completely merged so we get nightly builds :cool:

I bought a used Inc so I wouldn't have to sign a two year contract. I've loved it.

this is a good option as well. actually,what id reccomend. with the new phones comin out, you can pick up used incredibles pretty reasonable. i personally would save your upgrade for a newer phone that you like. nothing wrong with the incredible,but it is an older phone,and i wouldnt use an upgrade to get one of them.

Upvote 0
thunderbolt without a doubt! :D tho my opinion may be biased ;)

what is important to you in a phone? if you dont want a big phone,then youre left with an incredible or incredible 2. the charge,revolution,and TB are all 4.3" screens.

The Fascinate is still an available phone with a 4" display - the same as the Inc 2 (which is also a global phone, by the way). It has a gorgeous display and, I believe, is rootable.

From what I have heard of both, if I would get a 4G phone I'd get a Charge over a Thunderbolt - much better battery life, prettier display, and none of that random reset problem that many are having with the Thunderbolt. At this point I would not get a Tbolt until they have an update that somehow makes the battery life reasonable, assuming that the the issue is one of software and is actually fixable, and, of course, no more random reboot problems.

Upvote 0
The Fascinate is still an available phone with a 4" display - the same as the Inc 2 (which is also a global phone, by the way). It has a gorgeous display and, I believe, is rootable.

From what I have heard of both, if I would get a 4G phone I'd get a Charge over a Thunderbolt - much better battery life, prettier display, and none of that random reset problem that many are having with the Thunderbolt. At this point I would not get a Tbolt until they have an update that somehow makes the battery life reasonable, assuming that the the issue is one of software and is actually fixable, and, of course, no more random reboot problems.

the fascinate is a good option. my only issue with samsung,if youre not going to root it,is the fact that they seem to be pretty slow on the draw in getting android updates. the fascinate has only recently gotten its officail 2.2 upgrade :eek: at their current rate,everyone else is gonna be on the OS after ice cream sammich by the time they get to GB.

well,actually i have 2 issues with samsung if it was going to stay stock- if you thot sense was bad... holy crap check out blurr or touchwiz. i played with a chagre for 15 minutes or so the other day.

on the battery life,i cant really comment how a stock charge would hold up to my useage,but all things considering the TB i dont believe is that bad. the right rom/kernel with minimal auto syncs usually gets me thru a whole day of really heavy use.

i actually dont know much about the random reboots. are these complaints from folks on stock phones? i prolly only used mine for a week or so before it was rooted. but in that time it was solid... no random reboots for me :D

im sure it is software related,and will be taken care of(if the recent OTA hasnt allready)

Upvote 0
i actually dont know much about the random reboots. are these complaints from folks on stock phones? i prolly only used mine for a week or so before it was rooted. but in that time it was solid... no random reboots for me :D

im sure it is software related,and will be taken care of(if the recent OTA hasnt allready)

The recent OTA seems to be what started the random reboot problem.

Upvote 0
The recent OTA seems to be what started the random reboot problem.
oh! :eek:

some of the guys that like to really tweek kernel voltage were having trouble with the radios that accompanied that OTA and certain kernels,but i was unaware of it affercting stock phones.

ive run several roms with the OTA as a base,and not had any issues whatsoever.

yes,hopefully there will be fix soon if its an issue affecting stock phones.

Upvote 0
scary,is your X not rooted? i feel ya... GB is awsome... ive been using it for a couple months now,lol. the pre-alpha cm7 build for my TB is working well,and hopefully soon theyll have RIL completely merged so we get nightly builds :cool:

Oh, it's rooted all right! :D :D :D

Saturday night, I installed the two-part, pre-rooted OTA from P3Droid. It was rooted before, but there is no direct root exploit for GB at this time.

I wanted to make sure the GB OTA did come and self-install itself so I didn't have to SBF back to Froyo. I've gotten to finally play with and research ClockworkMod recovery (its pretty wild how the files that are being backed-up are displayed during the Nandroid backup).

GB is sweet and fast on my Droid X...the GB JIT compiler is certainly is flexing its muscles. I always thought my X was fast before (never saw the need to OC it).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
WOW, that's alot of info. I'll tell you this much, I talked ALOT and I mean ALOT of trash to my friend when he got the HTC Eris because I'm a motorola fan. BUT....after finally having the Eris I see why he got it, not to mention he got it as a prototype because his brother works for Verizon corporate in Cali and his brother hooked him up with getting to test the phone when it first came out. NOW, he is STILL waiting for the Bionic which after talking to him last night said that it is going to another chip maker that is suppose to be able to make it work. If not then it's scrapped. So any rumor or media publication that says the bionic is scrapped is false. Now I'm not afraid of the TB, I have just fallen in love with HTC. I can break away from that no problem but I know how it works and also how to root one. Again comes my fear of screwing up something with WHATEVER new phone I get. I still have to call Verizon which I will do very soon...probably in the next 15 to 30 minutes. Thanks everyone...maybe narrow it down just a touch more for me with not so much detail maybe?

Upvote 0

After almost 2 years, the only time I ever dropped the darn thing was the day I forgot to put the case on.

Shitty how it works out that way. :(

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone...maybe narrow it down just a touch more for me with not so much detail maybe?

not sure exactly whay you mean?

TB-4g capable,4.3" screen most RAM and internal memory. rootable,working custom recovery and large development community,and official cyanogenmod support. possible random reboots with stock phone and recent OTA,but otherwise extremely capable,fast stock phone.

inc2-"world phone" with gsm+cdma radios. no 4g,4" screen. no permanent root yet.

fascinate-4" screen,rootable,decent dev community. crappy touchwiz and slow to update stock phones.

charge-4g,brilliant amoled screen,less ram and internal memory. small development community,doing a restore in clockwork sends the phone into an almost unrecoverable bootloop. crappy touchwiz and slow updates if staying stock

lg revolution-crappiest camera of the "superphones"(5 mp),4g capable. easily rootable,but small dev community... not sure if they have a custom recovery whipped up for it yet.

incredible-3.7" screen,amoled or slcd screen(id try and find an amoled),easily rootable,lg dev community,no 4g,less memory,but extremely fast and capable for an older phone. big + is the ability to find a good one used and not have to sign a contract.

droid 1-again,easily rootable,lg dev community,tons of used ones. quite a capable phone,especially when rooted and overclocked to about 1000 hz. :cool: another great option for a cheap,used holdover phone.

droid 2,x,x2,etc. :crappy motoblurr and encrypted bootloaders,so not very developer friendly. tho they are capable stock phones if you can live with those restrictions.

and thats about all i can come up with :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
not sure exactly whay you mean?

TB-4g capable,4.3" screen most RAM and internal memory. rootable,working custom recovery and large development community,and official cyanogenmod report. possible random reboots with stock phone and recent OTA,but otherwise extremely capable,fast stock phone.

inc2-"world phone" with gsm+cdma radios. no 4g,4" screen. no permanent root yet.

fascinate-4" screen,rootable,decent dev community. crappy touchwiz and slow to update stock phones.

charge-4g,brilliant amoled screen,less ram and internal memory. small development community,doing a restore in clockwork sends the phone into an almost unrecoverable bootloop. crappy touchwiz and slow updates if staying stock

lg revolution-crappiest camera of the "superphones"(5 mp),less memory,4g capable. easily rootable,but small dev community... not sure if they have a custom recovery whipped up for it yet.

incredible-3.7" screen,amoled or slcd screen(id try and find an amoled),easily rootable,lg dev community,no 4g,less memory,but extremely fast and capable for an older phone. big + is the ability to find a good one used and not have to sign a contract.

droid 1-again,easily rootable,lg dev community,tons of used ones. quite a capable phone,especially when rooted and overclocked to about 1000 hz. :cool: another great option for a cheap,used holdover phone.

droid 2,x,x2,etc. :crappy motoblurr and encrypted bootloaders,so not very developer friendly. tho they are capable stock phones if you can live with those restrictions.

and thats about all i can come up with :)

I think you said it all bro. I couldn't imagine not being able to make a decision with that post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones