• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Walk Me Thru Rooting My Eris

Thanks scotty. I'm hoping that one of those is as ready as rooting my eris. And without issue of bricking my soon to be new phone.

there is a small chance of bricking the phone when you write the engineering bootloader. but just make sure that the md5s match,where they tell you they need to match when following the guide and youll be ok. as long as md5s match the risk is small to none.

unfortunately,there is no one cick app you can download to the phone,and no way you can do it without a PC.

there are a couple of "easy root" methods i linked,but jcase feels that the manual method of rooting is the best and safest at this point,so you will need to download some very large files,and get ADB set up and running.

also,dont be in a hurry. as weve mentioned,the TB is a great phone(other than the kickstand placement ;)) right out of the box,there is really no need to do anything to it,performance wise.

further,there are no real AOSP roms yet,due to the RIL prollem,so even the "desensed" roms are still going to look alot like sense... there honestly wont be much visual difference in running a stock phone with ADW or launcher pro,over running a desensed rom with one of those launchers.

the biggest advantage in rooting is to get rid of bloat,but the bloat doesnt really hurt anything,other than getting on your nerves to see it in the app drawer ;) speed tests and quadrant scores wont change ;)

one other thing to consider... the eris is an extremely forgiving phone. its been around a long time,and development is extremely well established. theres not much that someone hasnt been there and done that. espeically with users like EU1,scary,and doogald constantly lurking and able to get you answers right away to even the seeming most complex of issues.

youll need to keep in mind that the TB development is in its infancy. there are great,knowledgeable guys in the forum,and great developers. folks whove been around will recognize alot of names(jcase,jamezelle,adrenalyne,slayher,chingy,trident just to name a couple) and thats the reason developement is growing by leaps and bounds.

however... like i said,its only a few months old. there are only 8 pages in the "all things root" subforum... its still small enuff,you can just manually flip thru 8 pages instead of doing a search ;) you need to be aware,that while things for the most part are safe and stable,that it is quite possible for an issue to pop up that no one has seen,or has a clue what to do about. you need to be prepaired to provide as much technical information as possible in order to fix things that may pop up. if the forum cant help,the only issue may be to join the andirc guys in chat,and sometimes it may not be possible to fix an issue without flashing an RUU that unroots you and takes you back to stock.

good example is the recent gingerbread issue. there have been a few phones unrecoverably bricked,with a common denominator of running the leaked GB radios,and roms based on the leaked RUU. it is thot to be a unique hardware failure,but due to the small amount of the phones,and the fact that most folks tried to flash RUUs to fix their phones,its been difficult for them to gather information(flashing the RUU overwrites the engineering bootloader). lots of us have stayed on the leaked GB radio and roms and not experienced prollems,but GB cannot be ruled out at this time as a cause.

im not trying to scare you.. just tryin to make sure you have a clear picture of what you may be getting into. its not that rooting a TB is unsafe,but is a different situation than what we have here with the eris.

Upvote 0
Thank you thank you and thank you again. You hit on everything and even made me scratch my head with the shortened terms you used that I have no clue about. I will probably stay stock for at least 2 months. Right now I have been fighting with the sam's club people over the phone about the order. Trying to get one day shipping for my troubles.

Upvote 0
Well I got my wish after 3 phone calls to those idiots. And people wonder sometimes why we have no jobs here, it's because they keep getting sent over to India and those people can't even do it right but yet they keep them because they will work for almost nothing! On my second phone call I got hung up on for just asking if a supervisor could fix my problem and ship my phone today so I can have it tomorrow? After I asked that question all I heard was "CLICK".

I won't bore you guys with all the details but the end result is my phone is being shipped today and will be here tomorrow!! :D Yes I'm impatient and didn't want to wait until Friday because in all reality it should have been processed yesterday and shipped out first thing this morning or last thing last night and have been here tomorrow in the first place! Oh well, I'm happy as hell right now and can't wait to get that TB in my hands and start playing with it.

Now should I play with it right away and use what battery life it has already on it and then do a full charge or charge it first and then play with it? I know with smart phones it's good for the battery to let it run totally down once a month and then charge it. From what I have been told a complete discharge of the battery once a month helps in longer battery life in the end. Anyone care to challenge this or correct me or even provide more insight to that statement? I'm ok with being wrong. :cool:

Upvote 0

why the frowny faces?

Now should I play with it right away and use what battery life it has already on it and then do a full charge or charge it first and then play with it? I know with smart phones it's good for the battery to let it run totally down once a month and then charge it. From what I have been told a complete discharge of the battery once a month helps in longer battery life in the end. Anyone care to challenge this or correct me or even provide more insight to that statement? I'm ok with being wrong. :cool:

if youre just waiting for answer to this^ then i would take it out of the box,put the battery in,activate it(you will have to call and talk to a rep since it has a sim card),and play with it till it dies and shuts off. at that point charge it fully. i like to comepletely drain and completely charge the first couple times,but i have no idea how important that is with todays battery technology :)

one wierd issue i had... my phone at first was sending texts from a wierd,long string of numbers(maybe the sim card id?) instead of from my phone number. anyone who replied to one of those,i didnt get. a reboot fixed the issue. that was really the only thing i can remember havein issue with.

Upvote 0

Don't be sad ;)...I'm pretty sure Scotty's a morning person, based on the many (very) early morning posts I've seen from him.

LOL...congrats on getting a TBolt...an awesome phone, from what I hear and understand.

I don't think Lithium ion batteries have much need of conditioning like the old NiCads did. You'll be putting it through its paces by your usage in the first few days anyway, so just charge it when it needs and you'll be fine (and so will the phone ;)).

Just a little note since this is quickly turning into a ThunderBolt thread, LOL, and my Guide radar is going off a little (since I always get the feeling that Steven is watching ;)). I'm sure Scotty's busy over there the the TBolt forums and I'm betting there's a ton of stuff on how they recommend initially using their batteries.

Cheers and check back with us to give us your impressions vs. the Eris (gotta keep an Eris reference to keep this thread happy).

Thanks!

lol...I see Scotty just beat me to the response post.

Upvote 0
I'm sad because my order got canceled. Found out after I woke up this afternoon. When it was about to be shipped it got kicked out because it's an early upgrade and 3rd parties can't do them. So I'm saad and pissed. Now I have to pay the extra 100 bucks for the phone. Good part is I am getting free overnight shipping and free accessories up to 50 bucks.

Upvote 0
So how many time zones am I dealing with here with all you guys? I'm in phoenix in case you guys missed that. Lol

You have a couple time zones going on here. Scary's right if we go on talking about the bolt one of us will have to move this tread. It's getting off topic of the Eris. If you have more questions concerning the tbolt then you will need to post them in the thunderbolt forum.

Upvote 0
The chat is up on the little blue bar this website. It says chat live in red letters. Anyways I'm on my eris and won't be able top link my new thread. So I'll tell you how to find it. It's under the thread android discussion. Within that it should be easy to find.

Your thread is in Android Forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones