• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wanting to get current

if you have a windows 7 64 pc, you will not need to use ubuntu. you just need a live cd of ubuntu just in case you get the qualcomm brick mode.

I will have to investigate this then. I am just nervous about hearing that word "brick".

So on the other hand I am wondering if at my current state I would be able to still try the HTCDev unlock without going "S-OFF" so that I would at least be able to remove some of the bloat. Would this be possible in my current state?

Upvote 0
I will have to investigate this then. I am just nervous about hearing that word "brick".

So on the other hand I am wondering if at my current state I would be able to still try the HTCDev unlock without going "S-OFF" so that I would at least be able to remove some of the bloat. Would this be possible in my current state?
If you took the OTA, then you're not rooted anymore. If you're not rooted anymore, you have a problem, as you can't access the touch screen in recovery with the newest firmware. You should, however, be able to use adb to push the su binary to /system/xbin and set the proper permissions, but that's given you know how to do that.

I would recommend trying to S-OFF, as the latest OTA didn't update HBOOT, so DirtyRacun should still work. My recommendation for those using x64 boxes is to install HTC Sync Manager directly from HTC to get the latest drivers, and then uninstall the app. It will leave the drivers on your system, which is what you want. Then you can simply skip the step in the DirtyRacun instructions that say to install the old 3.0.0.7 driver.

I will emphasize however that the above process is not supported or recommended by Team Unlimited, and they won't offer any assistance if something goes wrong. That being said, many people have been able to S-OFF on 64-bit machines with no problem.

P.S. And yes, I am S-OFF (and SuperCID), so I was able to downgrade my device via RUU with no issue. Later I discovered that only the touch panel image from the previous build needed to be flashed, but again that's firmware, which means it likely can't be flashed unless you're S-OFF.

Upvote 0
If I'm tracking the thread properly, and the on-going issues others are experiencing after taking the OTA [with S-ON devices], I think the issue you're eventually going to hit is with recovery. It seems that using a custom recovery isn't possible following the OTA - users are reporting their touchscreen becomes unresponsive.

Here's one thread at XDA with some information - you can see Capt'n's posts - he also links out to other threads where folks are experiencing similar issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2126739

I'm assuming, at this stage, your "current state" is stock and locked?

...the take away is, when you're back up and running, go S-OFF...then load up Viper. You need to "learn" all of five commands in Ubuntu [one of which is how to launch the command prompt]. I, like you, was very hesitant - just brew up a pot of coffee, have a few cold beers at the ready, smoke em if you got em, and jump in.

#peerpressure

EDIT: ...what Capt'n said.

Upvote 0
GOOD NEWS jl79!!!

UPDATE: A TWRP update has been released that restores touch screen functionality (2.4.1.0). So if any poor saps actually took the OTA while S-ON, at least they can still flash stuff.

But again, people wouldn't have been in that predicament if they hadn't updated in the first place :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0
Shamelessly put the link for the latest TWRP into the Mac/rooting thread so it bumps it for you for easy access on the instructions and the download link.

Normally, we do NOT allow thread bumping for any reason - but for what you've been through, I thought that it being as easy and as SAFE as possible for you outweighed our rules. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Shamelessly put the link for the latest TWRP into the Mac/rooting thread so it bumps it for you for easy access on the instructions and the download link.

Normally, we do NOT allow thread bumping for any reason - but for what you've been through, I thought that it being as easy and as SAFE as possible for you outweighed our rules. ;) :)

Thanks so much...but I already hunted down the new TWRP and have it in the Android folder ready to go for when I get to that step!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones