• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning - don't let it discharge too far!

Not Lithium Batteries, no. It drastically shortens their life and if you let it die completely, you'll need a special charger to fire it back in to life. When your phone says it has no charge, it actually has 5-6% (I believe), at this point, it turns itself off to stop it fro discharging completely.

I'll only let mine turn itself off once a month or so.

When I've a bit more time, I'll dig out some links for you if you like.

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't conditioning the battery the first few charge cycles supposed to be good for it? I know Lithium batteries aren't SUPPOSED to have a memory but it seems as though they degrade over time just like any other.

I was always told with new batteries that if you discharge it to 0, then recharge it and then repeat this process about 2 times your battery should be in good condition.

Upvote 0
You can and it might and I used to follow that train of thought too. However, it doesn't make massive (if any) amounts of difference I've found. My first One X, I charged it fully, then discharged about 3 times before I started charging as and when. It had to be replaced and I didn't bother on the 2nd one, I charged fully once, let it discharge to about 50%, then charged it when I felt it needed it.

I've noticed little to no difference in the battery performance of either. If anything, the replacements battery has been slightly better.

Upvote 0
ok guys, I had the same problem: went completely flat, charged for 24hrs - wall charge, wouldn't turn on (htc one xl).
Not even the charging light.

Solved: Hold down the power button unti you see the bottom button lights flash several times (not just once - hold it for like 5-10 seconds). After doing this my phone started to boot and sure enough had full battery power and everything was back to normal.

Hope this works for you.

Upvote 0
ok guys, I had the same problem: went completely flat, charged for 24hrs - wall charge, wouldn't turn on (htc one xl).
Not even the charging light.

Solved: Hold down the power button unti you see the bottom button lights flash several times (not just once - hold it for like 5-10 seconds). After doing this my phone started to boot and sure enough had full battery power and everything was back to normal.

Hope this works for you.

Thanks for the tips. Same thing here. Thought I had the phone plugged in (wasn't attached at the supplied USB charger end.. d'oh!) & left it overnight with WiFi on.

This morning, plugged it into the charger, then powered it on (thought I'd be OK as it was plugged in), just to receive texts, etc.

Phone powered off after 1 minute. Powered on again, but powered off again. Then left it to charge for ~1 hour, but noticed the red LED was not on. Phone would also not power up. Unplugged & plugged in again - found that the red LED flashed for ~30 sec after 15-20 sec of being plugged in, but then the red LED turns off again. Phone battery is not getting warm, as I think it usually does when charging.

Will leave charging and re-try later...

Upvote 0
OK, it appears to be working again.

Since last comment yesterday, I left it charging for ~8 hours. Red LED still slow-flashing every 10-15 mins. Changed chargers (used another HTC) & red LED stayed on, so looked like it was charging. Left like this for a couple of hours, then powered on.

Battery charge displaying as charged (~90%). Plugged in and left powered on. Charge dropped quickly on screen (over ~30 mins), but left charging over-night. This morning, phone was powered off. Could not power on. Plugged in again and after 30 mins or so, tried again and it powered on!

Showed ~70% charge initially, dropping slowly over the day so far (at ~45% now, so fairly normal). Will allow to drop to "orange battery" display and will try charging again.

TLDR: I think the root cause was a deep battery discharge, followed by attempting to charge with a faulty PSU.

Upvote 0
Just to add a final note - I have noticed over the last few months that my friends' HTC ONE X phones have also had this problem when using a USB extension lead while charging.

i.e. Mains charger ==> USB Ext. lead ==> HTC lead ==> phone

This seems to severely limit the charging current (have tried with different leads, haven't found one that works!). I understand that the length of a USB can be critical for data requirements, but I didn't realise it would affect charging performance as a wire is a wire is a wire!! :D

Anyhoo - hope this saves someone the same bother. Stick to HTC chargers & HTC cables (which are too short if you ask me!) :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones