1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Weaker antennas after rooting...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by critterCQB, Jan 7, 2012.

1. critterCQB

critterCQB Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. I've had my Evo 4G for about a year now and have been very satisfied with it. The other day, I found out that I still have a year before upgrade, so I made the best of it & had a good friend of mine root it for me. I'm not too brilliant when it comes to stuff like this.

I've got CM7 on here, and I'm very pleased with it. My only issue is, I feel like my antennas have become weaker since rooting. Specifically 3G & wifi. I can be standing 3 feet away from my wireless router both at home & work, and only have 2/3 signal!? Also, Sprints coverage isn't fantastic where I am. But I've gone from 2-3 bars down to 1-2. Is this a common issue with rooting? Anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Your signal bars on cm7 display 3g signal not your phone signal so it's different than the stock HTC rom. Not sure about wifi but I wouldn't worry about it especially if you aren't dropping signal.

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Are you using the most recent radios?

Updating PRL/Profile might help as well, but you have to be on a sense ROM to do that.

Granite1 and ocnbrze like this.
  4. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you count the number of bars that are displayed on your cm7 setup, and compare those to the number of bars on a sense Rom you'll notice there aren't as many bars displayed on aosp. It really isn't giving you worse signal, its just that aosp roms use a smaller number of signal bars, so it "looks" like your signal is worse. ;)

When you flash a Rom, the radios remain untouched (unless you flash the all in one Sprint lovers Rom but that's the exception ;) ).

Also aosp roms will show you 1x data when you loose 3G. Sense roms will always show 3G regardless of signal.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. nolimit06

nolimit06 Well-Known Member
    None

In my opinion the best thing to do after rooting is updating your radios, updating your PRI/PRL from a sense based ROM then reboot after the updates then flash a superwipe script and flash your perfered ROM/Kernel combo and you should be set.

Radios: [ Radios ][ 9-5 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers
    ROM: [ROM] - [MikRoms] - [12/17/2011] - MikG v3.0 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - xda-developers (Use to update PRL/PRI)
    VR_SuperWipe: http://db.tt/TZ28AP7Y (Always use when flashing a new ROM)

That should help eliminate any signal issues. Im my experience AOSP shows a more accurate signal as Sense ROMs have double the signal bars as AOSP so if you think about it they are actually about the same.

Hope this helps!

critterCQB likes this.
  6. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Need to throw in the obligatory warning re: changing your radios.

That is one way you CAN brick your phone, so, make sure your battery is charged well before you begin and DO NOT pull the battery while doing it.

I changed my radios just once, It didn't make any difference at all in my case.

Granite1 and nolimit06 like this.
  7. nolimit06

nolimit06 Well-Known Member
    None

Forgot about that but it is in the thread I linked too :p Most people see no difference but it's never a bad thing to have the latest radio.

dustwun77 likes this.
  8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Cool, I didn't read the thread. I hope it helps. :)

9. critterCQB

critterCQB Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Ok, so my buddy saved my original sense rom on the sd card. He said this week we can go back in and un-root, upgrade radios, reroot, reflash. I also had to DL Sprint_VVM.apk. Worked like a charm. Probably need to get handcent back so I can blacklist 6019. Thank you all.

10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    you do not have to unroot to get everything upgraded. i think the easiest way is to run this ruu RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15 .00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe via your computer. this will give you the updated stock rom and stock recovery as well as update your radios. all you will need to do is get a custom recovery afterwards. once, you do that then you are fully rooted. but that is up to you.

Tags: