• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Webtop without adaptor!

I have the hdmi but my laptop does not have he port. I'd there a way to try it on TV without mouse or keyboard?

When you're phone is connected to the TV it just mirrors whatever is on your phone. You control the phone and everything is displayed exactly as it is on your phone to the tv. I am currently using it and I have no issues with lag as I read with some people on XDA or sound being off.

Upvote 0
When you're phone is connected to the TV it just mirrors whatever is on your phone. You control the phone and everything is displayed exactly as it is on your phone to the tv. I am currently using it and I have no issues with lag as I read with some people on XDA or sound being off.

That would be mirror mode not webtop mode, no? Two different things.

Upvote 0
i asked this question on the forum the OP linked to, but haven't gotten any responses. I must have killed the thread :thinking:

can someone explain exactly what this does? Do I need to buy a keyboard to connect to my phone with? blue tooth? is there a keyboard that can connect via the micro USB port? How is this different from mirror mode?

thanks! =]

Upvote 0
Do I need root to use the ADB method? I rooted and had my way with my OG Droid but I have yet to pop my Bionic's cherry. I forget if you need root to use ADB. Saving $30 on hardware might give me a real reason to do it.

EDIT: Just reread the instructions and answered my own question. Performing file functions on /system/ so yes, root is needed.

Upvote 0
i asked this question on the forum the OP linked to, but haven't gotten any responses. I must have killed the thread :thinking:

can someone explain exactly what this does? Do I need to buy a keyboard to connect to my phone with? blue tooth? is there a keyboard that can connect via the micro USB port? How is this different from mirror mode?

thanks! =]

I answered you over there, but I'll post it here too for ya:

This enables the option to select Webtop mode when you plug the HDMI cable in...once you start it the phone turns into basically a mouse/keyboard combo, an area where you can manipulate the cursor, and a Left and Right click and keyboard popup button for control.

Flashing the zip gave me no issues whatsoever, no reason not to do this if you have cwm and an HDMI cable

Upvote 0
I should take screenshots of what webtop is. It is a TOTALLY different UI than mirror mode. I love it! And now that I'm using a bluetooth mouse to control my Bionic while using webtop, I love it even more. Now I need a bluetooth keyboard. :cool:

No thanks for you until I get screens! :D I've been dealing with mirror mode and having webtop on demand without the adapters would make me root to unleased in a heartbeat (1.4 has this mod built in)!

It's sad how I browse the rooting forums each day but for an unknown reason I have yet to root my bionic. Quite odd coming from a guy who roots every phone he touches lol!

It's probably because I've been too busy learning java for app development with all my free time since I got my new phone ;)

Upvote 0
Oh that video pushed me over the edge!! Everything's rooted and running super awesome today, thank you!!

Man, webtop is leagues better than mirroring for web browsing and app management! I'm also digging how you can adjust the settings on quality from 720p to 1080p or a few others (not widescreen, if I remember) on the output, very nice!

Yankee, you better root your phone or I'll have to go over there and do it myself :p They made it ridiculously easy and user friendly with all the apps out right now, bootstrapping is the simplest thing since sliced bread! :D

Upvote 0
Amazon.com: Mini Bluetooth HID Wireless Keyboard for Motorola Xoom: Electronics

I bought one of these. The keys are about 80% like a netbook but pretty usable once you get the hang of a few out of place buttons. Typing this with webtop! It has a built in mouse track ball, scroll pad and even a bt dongle for a laptop which is a nice extra for bt tethering. Look at the A and L for an idea. The . is in the wrong place which is mildly annoying.
2011_10_07_17_36_03_52.sized.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones