• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What 3G speeds are you getting?

700kbs is considered normal for 3g. I hope you guys arent expecting more from 4g than what will be delivered. 4g will probably max at 4-5 mbs. As far as tmobile hspa+, i suspect that once more tmobile phones are compatible, it will probably slow down substantially.

Edit: If you are in an area where you know verizon has better 3g, you may consider updating your prl to one that is modified for verizons towers. Instructions can be had under android development in the xda evo forums.

Upvote 0
Some updates have happened since this post was created, but it's asking the exact same question if you are interested. My 3G speeds varies greatly based on where I am at. I was surprised over the weekend to see 3G speeds in excess of 2mb download while I was up at the house of my in-laws which is in a tiny town in the mountains.

Upvote 0
3.95mbps is extremely unlikely on a 3g cdma network, please do not use the speedtest.net app for testing speed.

Personally I think that the WiMax, as a technology, and the frequency Sprint has it on, will provide a varied experience...especially given what people in Europe have been posting about their WiMax experiences. Whether or not that extra speed/cost will be worth it to you, only you can decide. If you are going to be streaming a lot of video, you may want to go with the higher bandwidth plan. For general data connectivity, including SIP calls, you should be fine with 3G.

Please do not post on something you do not know about. For your information, wimax uses the same spectrum as lte in most of europe and is lower the 3g service in united states.

As for the rest, you are just posting a marketing ad and clearly do not understand what you are saying. Here is a hint, hspa+ is not what they are making it out as, it works really well for short period of times and as long has you have very little people using it.

When you start to get more then 2 people using it, it really slows down.

Upvote 0
ya i dont agree with the stupid 10 extra charge unless you are getting 4g. People will say the evo is a data hog. Well it is no different than any other pda phone. I just checked my data usage for this month and iv had my evo for this billing cycle and im at 49000kb with 2 days left on my cycle. Then i looked at last month when i had my moment and i used 115000kb of data. But as far as speeds i get the same as my old moment which is pretty much the same that everyone else has listed.

Upvote 0
ya i dont agree with the stupid 10 extra charge unless you are getting 4g. People will say the evo is a data hog. Well it is no different than any other pda phone. I just checked my data usage for this month and iv had my evo for this billing cycle and im at 49000kb with 2 days left on my cycle. Then i looked at last month when i had my moment and i used 115000kb of data. But as far as speeds i get the same as my old moment which is pretty much the same that everyone else has listed.

I hear ya! but it beats the hell out of watching your usage like a hawk then getting nickeled and dimmed for extras. Its still cheaper than VZW and way cheaper than ATT.

Upvote 0
I can get 4G even in the walk in closet of my apartment, yet my 3G signal is so poor that I constantly get kicked offline.
YouTube buffers every two seconds ( literally ) on 3G, and Pandora skips every song after around 1/4 through it.

( 4G is great until you lose signal and it drops down to 3G and kicks you off. )

My 3G speeds range from -0 to 325 Mbps. Average is around 125-150 Kbps.

Upvote 0
i get 1.12 down and .65 up here in IA. Coming from a 2g G1, im pumped with these speeds.

Pretty much my experience. Loved my G1 but tmo doesn't offer 3G in my city, the evo came out as I was deciding which carrier to switch to. Easy decision. I'm getting .7-1 down, .5 up and it is plenty fast enough. Youtube and Slacker stream flawlessly so lack of 4G here isn't an issue.

Upvote 0
As much as I like 4G speeds, it is dissapointing sometimes that Sprint's 3G is so slow, but that's more to do with EVDO's limits. I'm only getting 1.5 Mbps down. I'm sometimes jealous that AT&T and T-mobile users can easily get 3+ Mbps with average signal , but then I turn on 4G and then sit back relax with 4+Mbps.

Upvote 0
Seen this post, and was amazed how low everyones speed was for 3g, and people saying average is .7 - 1mb or so. So I ran SpeedTest again, and to my surprise, BARELY broke 1mb, few times was under. from 8/1 - 9/5 I was consistently getting
2-3 mb down, same servers. wtf?

Also, make sure you turn on gps, turn your phone off/on and reload SpeedTest to make sure you have the closest server possible. - Side note, im not getting an option for the Atlanta, GA server from Alabama anymore, was my 2nd closest. Majority of the 2-3 mb tests however were from a diff server, that I used tonight 10+ times out of frustration.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones