• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What 64 GB microSD for Note 3?

DO
NOT
BUY
THIS!!!!!!!!!

RARE Original "Custom Made" 128GB Micro SD Card Beware of Fake | eBay

Just posting this here for the laughs.

While fake and hilarious, I think shortly after the New Year we will start to hear about the REAL 128GB MicroSD cards. Unless "they" plan to continue to keep intentionally capping the market for another half year.

LOL, Pyro!

Pretty sure we're well past the timeframe that Sandisk was expecting to announce 128gb microSD and phone storage capabilities, so I'm not holding my breathe for it. At least not in the near future.

Upvote 0
I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB MicroSD card. It has 59.45GB free without formatting. Anybody else notice that these newer high capacity cards work right out of the box without formatting? Can someone who has formatted their Samsung or Sandisk 64GB cards on their phone tell me what their capacity shows after formatting?

The same...lol

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Cool. Thanks drexappeal.

Now all I have to do is work out that flaky card issue from earlier in this thread.

Saw that, really stinks :\

Anyhow, I never really saw a use for a 64GB card, I don't think I am even going to get a microSD with 32GB internal...I never really used it all up in the first place when I had my 32GB Nexus

Upvote 0
Anyhow, I never really saw a use for a 64GB card, I don't think I am even going to get a microSD with 32GB internal...I never really used it all up in the first place when I had my 32GB Nexus

Both my phone's memory and the 64Gb card are roughly 80% full at the moment.

Looking forward to those 128Gb cards.

Upvote 0
Has anybody tried one of these yet?

SD to MicroSD/TransFlash Card Converter Module - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

There are some talk of people using a SD adapter, in order to get 128gb SD card to work on their phones.

Not sure how that actually would fit in the phone cover, but I'm very curious now. Since no official 128gb microSD has gone to retail, I love running into random little tidbits online that get me thinking to experiment.

Upvote 0
DO NOT use a SanDisk Ultra class 10 card! I bought a brand new 32GB one from a reputable B&M store, put it in my brand new Note 3 and moved all my data onto it. Music, photos, documents, apps. Everything appeared to work great, and I was getting up to 30mbps transfer speeds with it. Then within 24 hours, all data stored on it began to randomly disappear. I noticed this as app icons reverted to placeholder icons where those apps used to be before the card started deleting them. I moved all surviving files back to internal memory as fast as I possibly could. Properly unmounted the card, shut down the phone and removed the card. Restarted and the phone immediately had issues. Apps still being randomly deleted as before, but now from internal memory! Then it restarted itself and got stuck on the carrier splash screen. Booted it in recovery mode and cleared device system cache, then selected reboot now. Still stuck on carrier splash screen. Booted it in safe mode and put it in airplane mode. Exited safe mode and rebooted it normally. Noticed another app had disappeared. Downloaded it from Google Play and as soon as the download completed and began installing, phone restarted itself again. This time stuck in a continuous bootloop. Booted it in recovery mode and cleared device system cache again, then selected reboot now. Still stuck in bootloop. All attempts to boot in safe mode failed. It showed safe mode in the lower right corner as it should, but refused to go into it. Instead it just kept on looping. All attempts to resolve the issue in recovery mode failed too, until I finally did factory reset. Experienced similar issues with a brand new 32GB Samsung class 10 card, also bought from a reputable B&M store in a brand new Samsung Captivate Glide. So now I want to know which if any specific brand and type of SD card is safe to use in a Samsung Android phone. I know 32GB cards are supposed to be supported by them. But at this point I'm assuming they only support them for data loss, as twice in a row now they've worked exactly the opposite as intended, and only ramdomly deleted data on both the card and in internal memory, and either bricked the phone or forced me to do a factory reset. Needless to say, I feel Samsung owes the public an explanation of why these issues are occurring with SD cards in their phones, as I am just one of many victims who lost data because of them!

Upvote 0
I've read some sd-cards have caused wake-lag on the phone and other issues. I need to get a sd-card, and I have found two 64Gb cards, but I dont know which one I should buy..

The first one is Samsung Plus 64 Gb card with adapter: HERE

The second one is a Sandisc Ultra 64Gb card which has somekind of "Memory Zone App for Android: HERE

Which one should I get? They are both the same price 79

Upvote 0
Bought my N3 5 days ago and inserted my 64gb Sandisk ultra that I was using with no issues on my previous S4.
Everything worked perfectly for 4 days. On the 5th my N3 was VERY hot and then freezing up on home screen. I rebooted and it got stuck on the Samsung logo forever. Took battery out, let it rest and issue kept repeating. Took the phone to the store- Best Buy- to request a new one and they replicated the problem and agreed in giving me a brand new phone. The problem is that they only had it in black and I REALLY wanted the white one. He finally found the last White one in my city in another store. The guy on the other Best Buy wasn't so easily eager in giving me a brand new phone, so he tested it throughly. He was almost giving up when he decided to insert my SanDisk ultra on the brand new phone from the store. And guess what? The second phone, the brand new one he had just opened from the store wouldn't boot either and got stuck on that screen with the Samsung logo flashing indefinitely. He gave me back my 5 day old N3 and advised me to get a new card. And I left the store upset, as I had no idea the card was causing the issue. Would it be SOME batches of the phone came with the problem? The seller also told me the white one wouldn't be coming to Best Buy anymore as their last order was in November. Didn't know why but said he heard the white Note 3 is being discontinued. ... I really need a card but not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
Bought my N3 5 days ago and inserted my 64gb Sandisk ultra that I was using with no issues on my previous S4.
Everything worked perfectly for 4 days. On the 5th my N3 was VERY hot and then freezing up on home screen. I rebooted and it got stuck on the Samsung logo forever. Took battery out, let it rest and issue kept repeating. Took the phone to the store- Best Buy- to request a new one and they replicated the problem and agreed in giving me a brand new phone. The problem is that they only had it in black and I REALLY wanted the white one. He finally found the last White one in my city in another store. The guy on the other Best Buy wasn't so easily eager in giving me a brand new phone, so he tested it throughly. He was almost giving up when he decided to insert my SanDisk ultra on the brand new phone from the store. And guess what? The second phone, the brand new one he had just opened from the store wouldn't boot either and got stuck on that screen with the Samsung logo flashing indefinitely. He gave me back my 5 day old N3 and advised me to get a new card. And I left the store upset, as I had no idea the card was causing the issue. Would it be SOME batches of the phone came with the problem? The seller also told me the white one wouldn't be coming to Best Buy anymore as their last order was in November. Didn't know why but said he heard the white Note 3 is being discontinued. ... I really need a card but not sure what to do.

Hard to tell if it's a memory card problem without knowing what you put in that card. The phone shouldn't be hanging because if the card is faulty...unless there's a daemon taking over the boot sequence. Card fail all the time, but the N3 doesn't rely on a memory card to boot or run.

Upvote 0
Agreed. It would be strange for a card to impact the boot sequence. But since it replicated on New phone that is pretty telling. Where did you get the card? My sandisk ultra 64gb I've have for probably 2+ years. Used on my moto bionic and now on the Note 3. Never an issue. Got mine from amazon.

Be very wary of cards from ebay. To many stories like yours

Upvote 0
Agreed. It would be strange for a card to impact the boot sequence. But since it replicated on New phone that is pretty telling. Where did you get the card? My sandisk ultra 64gb I've have for probably 2+ years. Used on my moto bionic and now on the Note 3. Never an issue. Got mine from amazon.

Be very wary of cards from ebay. To many stories like yours

I got my card from Best Buy when I got my Galaxy S4. Not weird files on the card, basically what was on my S4, as I just took it from the S4 and inserted on the N3. And it was working fine on the S4.
Pictures, family movies, and school documents (pdf, .txt) and some apps moved to sd card.
Of course I moved the apps from my previous S4 to phone so my sd card had no apps, but I didn't format it. Don't think that's the problem, probably the card.

I found an interesting review on Amazon by SkinCare CEO : " To all those who purchased this card due to all the great reviews.... and then used it in a Galaxy S4 (GS4) smartphone for storage, the solution to the problem is not one you can solve without returning the card to SanDisk for a replacement under warranty. Believe me I tried everything that the Google searches returned as solutions... formatting as exFAT, formatting in the GS4 then copying data to the card while in the phone etc.... nothing worked... and so now please stop pulling out your hair and hopefully you will get the same result which I hope to get soon (just RMA'd and will send it back tomorrow for a free replacement under warranty).

The problem (As confirmed from the SanDisk customer support rep when I asked specifically asked him):

- When used in the GS4, this card will unmount itself inadvertently (may be true only for cards manufactured before the ROM patch described below was implemented in manufacturing). This can cause the data to become corrupt (luckily was not my experience) and / or can be very frustrating as most of us are saving 13 MP camera pictures to the card (or MP4 movies that stop in the middle of the movie) and it unmounts when you view the picture in the gallery or worse, right when you take the picture (this was the issue I experienced).

- SanDisk knows about this issue. Again, SANDISK KNOWS ABOUT THE ISSUE AND WILL REPLACE YOUR CARD. Call them (info below) and they WILL take care of it under warranty. They have a good name for a reason and they want to keep it. (sorry SanDisk about the 1 star, but I thought it was the way to get the message out to those searching for a solution)

- The customer rep told me that SanDisk tried to work with Samsung to resolve the issue but Samsung refused to acknowledge a problem exists with this card and some of their phones (especially their flagship GS4 phones).

- The customer rep told me that to their knowledge the card works fine in regular cameras (not Samsung GS4 phones with cameras, obviously) and even worked fine in some phones from HTC etc. that could accommodate the 64 GB cards. Hence the 5 star ratings from others.

- The solution SanDisk came up with was to write a patch into the ROM of the card itself to specifically address the issue on Samsung GS4 phones (and maybe other Samsung phones like the GS3). I was assured that the new card I would get would work flawlessly. will see in about 3 weeks.

- I purchased my card from Amazon June 2013, so the ones currently being manufactured and the one I should get will have the new patch. However, as SanDisk manufactures in batches (like most of the industry), old batches of "unpatched" cards obviously exist in warehouses.

- I asked about a software patch I could download and was told it's not possible... hence the "hard coded patch" in the card's ROM

So... how to take care of the problem....

After speaking with the SanDisk US customer support (link and info below), this is what I learned and did.
Go to the SanDisk site

1) SanDisk Contact Information
2) call consumer products support (this is the US no.) 1-866-SANDISK (726-3475)
3) Tell them that the card is unmounting itself in your GS4 (I assume this is also a problem experienced by GS3 owners too)
4) They will then confirm your information, approve your return (10-15 min approval window by mine was basically instantaneously), and then send you emails with a UPS return label and instructions.
5) BTW, they also asked if I had a magnifying glass to ID the serial no. on the card, but I didn't and couldn't read it myself (those numbers are super small printed into the plastic... don't believe me? take a look yourself.) I told the rep I couldn't read them and he said no problem, they would process without the serial no. I assume this is because they send you a new replacement card only when they receive your card you send in. Makes sense.

Well, that's it. Problem (hopefully) solved. Let's see in 2-3 weeks. The rep was super nice about it and seemed like they were all too familiar with the problem. KUDOS TO SANDISK FOR TAKING CARE OF IT... however, it would be nice if there was some type of communication / notice of the issue besides Google info sources, forums etc. I spent hours, maybe a couple of days total hours worth, thinking it was an issue with my phone / my data transfer. oh well, that's how it goes.

I really hope that this review helps some of you out there with the same problem as me. GOOD LUCK!!

Upvote 0
What is the problem with it? If it is a branded sealed package? Honestly, I don't know...please explain for the rest of us.

Well if i am correct in assuming this. what PyroSporker is on about is sellers unknowingly or more often knowingly selling on these kind of open market places (EBAY/AMAZON) knock off goods from our Asian cousins e.g. China and the likes of..... if you are not aware China is not very active in patient protection etc.. as you might notice on your internet travels plenty of cheap products that invariably come from China of which are generally not built to the same standards as the real western deal(Real Brand) thanks to our strict high standards.

For example i purchased an iPhone 4 car charger because it was cheap, knowing that is was a complete peace of rubbish. but it does the job, so i dont care. although it gets very hot when chargeing leading me to assume it is of poor build quality, health and safety standards and electrical safety stuff :p bla bla bla.
If the product was a peace of hardware that works with your phone software and was not built to the same standard (which it wont be!) as the actual real product then this could possibly harm your device in all manor of ways and your wallet obviously as you will have to buy a new one!

and yes the sealed branded side that is easily copied and even on occasions can be produced along side the real branded product.

it is an interesting area to research into plus makes me angry as a lover of all things British, i don't appreciate knock off Chinese goods, unless my wallet dictates otherwise! sadly!

The Moral of the Story Spend your money wisely to buy reputable products from reputable establishments (who can confirm the origin of their products and show they conform to the necessary standards).

Buy Quality Buy Once!!!!

Sorry for the long Post :)

Disclaimer: i am aware that other countries partake in such activities and dont, i do not have any hard evidence of what i have said just secondary. so i place it on good authority as i have researched this area for university assignments, by means of journals and news articles.(you cant believe everything you read in the Press!)

Edit: on another note if there are any English/British users on here who could suggest a decent value place to get a Samsung or sandisk micso SD from that's not eBay or amazon it would be much appreciated? im a student so kind of poor!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones