• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What app do you use for capturing screen shots?

Can any of these screen shot apps be used to post on a computer.

You mean from a computer? If so, then yes, the ddms.bat (Dalvik Debug Monitor) utility runs from the Android SDK (PC, Mac, Linux).

I mis-spoke earlier when I said "adb"...meant ("SDK") ;).

If you've got the Android SDK installed, you can run the ddms.bat script to invoke the utility. Then, after you've connected your phone via USB cable, there's a "Device" menu item with a "Screen capture" function. Pretty cool.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
The Android SDK (ddms) is the only way to grab screenshots w/o being rooted.

edit: I'm sure you meant for the Droid X too...(not trying to be contrary here :)).

Actually, on some phones, you apparently can take screen shots without being rooted. I (re-)searched this a couple of weeks back...bizarrely, its true (but I don't think it is for the X).

"Screenshot It" (free trial and paid version available), "Screen Capture - No Rooting 2.2" (requires adb manipulation of a library file on your phone :eek:), "Screen Capture Shortcut" (Galaxy S and Tab only). There's probably more too...

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Yes, I meant on the DX. (I assumed that was still the case.) :D

Yeah, I'd be very surprised that any of these apps would work on the X, but I haven't personally tried any of them. I am curious as to to what makes some of them workable on the other phones though...maybe its the library or hardware permissions that allow this...dunno.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones