• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what has the latest update done (2.10.405.2)

Since this update I have experienced regular gsm connection problems: no signal while others around me still have signal. Today it happened while driving around and the phone would not pick up a signal anywhere. After going in and out of airplane mode it immediately came back with a strong signal.
Of all things that can go wrong this is the worst... My phone's primary function is still that: a phone!

Anybody else experiencing the same ?

(fwiw: Belgian operator Proximus, unbranded phone)

I should have added that I had the WCDMA only option checked. I switched to Gsm / WCDMA automatically and have not experienced loss of signal anymore. Yet this does not explain why going in and out of airplane mode solved my connection troubles the other day.

Upvote 0
I should have added that I had the WCDMA only option checked. I switched to Gsm / WCDMA automatically and have not experienced loss of signal anymore. Yet this does not explain why going in and out of airplane mode solved my connection troubles the other day.

always had this issue even before update. 3uk. I am actually trying to get this sorted with 3 but if others not on 3 are having the same issue?

Reactions: cmcevoy
Upvote 0
Hi

I have just uploaded the new soft. 2.10.405.2. And weird thing just start :-( I have even make the hard reset but I didnt help :-( ... (the operator ERA - Poland and the phone I from HTC distribution)

I cant watch any more youtube movies on, all the time when I try to watch something I recive error "error apear during playing" (something like this I trying to translate from polish).

But the weird thing is that there is no problem on WiFi connection. Only on GSM.

Other thing is on task I have 3G (UMTS) connection and strong signal, but just when I try to open something internet, market etc. and make connection it switch to H (HSDPA). And just when the transfer stops again the 3G appear on task.

Someone will say that there is a problem with my GSM provider, but my second phone i SE Xperia X10 also the same provider. And there is no problems like this.

Yeastarday before the update everything was working fine :-( .... HTC do something !!!!!

regards

sorry for my grammar and english ...

Upvote 0
always had this issue even before update. 3uk. I am actually trying to get this sorted with 3 but if others not on 3 are having the same issue?

Yes - I'm with O2 in the UK and this has always happened from time to time. Actually seems less frequent after the last update but still occasionally have to restart the gsm radio by flicking in and out of airplane mode.

Upvote 0
Well I really regret updating the phone to 2.2 on my Orange HTC Desire - I can see why O2 have pulled it

Bad points

POP email account now doesn't keep emails on the phone any longer, they vanish as soon as I download them on my laptop even though storage is shown for 7 days

Number of Text Messages next to contact () - What use is this??

Keyboard lost ? and ! and also the symbol to remove the keyboard

Googlemail & Gmail Calender showing myself attending my appointments??

Text Chimes and alarm chimes changed

Slowish internet and scrolling erratic and not as responsive as before

3G doesn't seem to come on unless I restart after I switch from WiFi

WiFi Hotspot - joke as its not working for anybody

Weather Info still not showing correct town region

Orange junk on bookmarks again

and probably much more when I start using the phone more, but I have to ask why oh why did orange release it with this much cr4p not sorted, and yet when you ring Orange they let you think its just your phone!!! - If only they just looked on line they could see how bad it has affected so many users.

Good points

I can view BBC vids again
Flashlight (well its ok)
Transfer of limited progs to SD card (very limited)

Feel free to add any other "great updates" you can think of!! and also if you have any solutions to the new problems

Thanks

Upvote 0
The HTC Weather app seems to have been borked by the update on my phone. It doesn't use my correct location anymore, in any case - and on the clock widget just displays 'Current Location' instead of the city name, and with some random weather. Manually adding the city to the list produces accurate data, and other apps don't have a prob finding my location.

Having this same problem. HTC weather detects a wrong location more frequently now than before. Annoying.

Ditto. That problem lasted a couple of days.

- tried to repeatedly (un)check "Automatic (use n/w provided values)"
- Manually applying wasn't too helpful.
- tried syncing with Google *after* updating my location on Maps (via PC)

And voila... All of a sudden, things are back to normal.

Must say it was annoying!

I made my purchase right before last weekend. I performed a manual firmware update (to this version) immediately over the weekend and I did not spend a whole lot of time on the stock Eclair to note what changes have been incorporated in Froyo (plus this update).

Quite content with the battery. Still learning about how Android functions.

Upvote 0
Well I really regret updating the phone to 2.2 on my Orange HTC Desire - I can see why O2 have pulled it

Bad points

POP email account now doesn't keep emails on the phone any longer, they vanish as soon as I download them on my laptop even though storage is shown for 7 days

Number of Text Messages next to contact () - What use is this??

Keyboard lost ? and ! and also the symbol to remove the keyboard

Googlemail & Gmail Calender showing myself attending my appointments??

Text Chimes and alarm chimes changed

Slowish internet and scrolling erratic and not as responsive as before

3G doesn't seem to come on unless I restart after I switch from WiFi

WiFi Hotspot - joke as its not working for anybody

Weather Info still not showing correct town region

Orange junk on bookmarks again

and probably much more when I start using the phone more, but I have to ask why oh why did orange release it with this much cr4p not sorted, and yet when you ring Orange they let you think its just your phone!!! - If only they just looked on line they could see how bad it has affected so many users.

Good points

I can view BBC vids again
Flashlight (well its ok)
Transfer of limited progs to SD card (very limited)

Feel free to add any other "great updates" you can think of!! and also if you have any solutions to the new problems

Thanks

I share your disappointment mate. I have the Orange branded Desire and as far as I know no-one uses the Cra.p Orange put on it so why spend unnecessary resources shoving all that stuff onto the ROM and leaving so many customers dissatisfied. You can get rid of the bookmarks but it's the apps that need removing. Would be better if Android assigned a small section for carriers in the Market where they can upload all the cra.p they want and available for those that are interested, I believe Microsoft have done this with Windows Phone 7. Also, HTC have a section for their own widgets that you can update and download as you wish so it doesn't take up space on your phone and neither does it annoy you, perhaps Orange can learn something from them.

To be honest, the problem lies at Googles door since this is an open-sorce OS meaning they make a basic OS and the rest is left to devs and OEM's/Carriers to fill. They can't impliment any restrictions, which I believe are important, not to the extent Apple have done with the iPhone/iOS but just to protect the fundamental basics of the OS and stop it from being abused by others and to address the issue of fragmentation. A good example could be Windows Mobile, which died as a result of lack of restrictions and fragmentation, hence the restrictions placed by MS for its new OS WP7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones