• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What I need to know going into a factory reset?

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
(Note to mods: I searched for this and found only posts related to specific phones. I am looking for more general info)

About to factory reset.
Settings > Back-up & Reset > Factory Data Reset

Question is what are the insider tips and tricks I need to know?

SMS
Need to back it up via a third-party app that will save it to the cloud. Then restore it from there.

Apps
Will need to be reinstalled from Play Store and Amazon store. Only reinstall what I need. Assume settings will be lost.

Data
Back up all docs, pics, MP3s, etc to my computer before reset. Then drag back after

Google Account
I have 2-factor authentication turned on. Authenticator is on my phone. Will this be an issue when logging back into the phone?

What's App
Anyway to back this up? Or does it all come back?

Email app (not gmail)
Is there a way to back this up?

Details: Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2

Thanks!

I take it you're not rooted? Take a look at Helium backup, that should back up most of what you need (aside from settings and systems apps etc) and restore it post reset. I've never used it myself, but I do hear good things.

I'm not sure the reset will wipe pics/MP3's etc so you'll probably be ok with those (no harm in doing as you've suggested though.

You could turn off 2 factor authentication before the reset, turning it back on once you've installed the authenticator app again. If not, when you set your phone up again, you'll need to set another application specific password, then download and install the authenticator app again. I normally do the latter, but I'm rooted so I can restore with TB and authenticator works fine (both for gmail and dropbox).

This is what I use for SMS: SMS Backup & Restore. You can upload the xml backup file to dropbox or copy it to your PC, whatever's easiest. :).

Upvote 0
Only thing to add is to make sure you manually sync contacts before the reset. Personally unless installing a new ROM I would backup memory card and clean it as well. Not necessary but does help reclaim some space.

I would also take note of all passwords needed in the restore and try to copy or find an app that will let you backup and restore WiFi networks and keys.

Upvote 0
I take it you're not rooted? Take a look at Helium backup, that should back up most of what you need (aside from settings and systems apps etc) and restore it post reset. I've never used it myself, but I do hear good things.

I'm not sure the reset will wipe pics/MP3's etc so you'll probably be ok with those (no harm in doing as you've suggested though.

You could turn off 2 factor authentication before the reset, turning it back on once you've installed the authenticator app again. If not, when you set your phone up again, you'll need to set another application specific password, then download and install the authenticator app again. I normally do the latter, but I'm rooted so I can restore with TB and authenticator works fine (both for gmail and dropbox).

This is what I use for SMS: SMS Backup & Restore. You can upload the xml backup file to dropbox or copy it to your PC, whatever's easiest. :).

I've used helium backup and it worked like a charm. It not only backed up my apps, but also the data like game progress, settings,...

I also backed up my messages with another app (something like sms backup?).

And contacts are backed up by google itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones