• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is Att going to do to this phone?

Seems as though you don't get wireless marketing.

Whether or not I am wrong, I have at least had logical reasons for what I have thought.

Last time price was brought up you pointed out the increased cost of nand chips.

Do you honestly believe they can manufacture the dual core processors that cheap?

I am curious. How far does your over all electronics background go.

And for that matter the commerical today already showed the phone being marketed as a laptop.

As cool as that is.. I don't think it bodes well for price :/

Upvote 0
Whether or not I am wrong, I have at least had logical reasons for what I have thought.

Last time price was brought up you pointed out the increased cost of nand chips.

Do you honestly believe they can manufacture the dual core processors that cheap?

I am curious. How far does your over all electronics background go.

And for that matter the commerical today already showed the phone being marketed as a laptop.

As cool as that is.. I don't think it bodes well for price :/

Yes I said the flash chips attribute to cost but there is a lot more than that. Have you ever seen one of the teardowns where they say the real cost for manufacturing one of these devices? The markup is huge. The flash chips were the most expensive component in a phone with large storage onboard. A $199 price point is crucial to sell a phone.

Yea he doesn't get marketing or bussiness at all. I'm discussing that with him in another thread

Yes I know. I have been reading it.

Upvote 0
Yes I said the flash chips attribute to cost but there is a lot more than that. Have you ever seen one of the teardowns where they say the real cost for manufacturing one of these devices? The markup is huge. The flash chips were the most expensive component in a phone with large storage onboard. A $199 price point is crucial to sell a phone.

Yes iphone has the worst mark up of any phone last time I checked.

That doesn't mean at&t won't try to sell it for higher.

Just because something seems unlikely doesn't make it impossible.

Upvote 0
Bro I had the captivate and now the nexus S none of these issues arose maybe you had a bad unit. Ever think of that?

The Galaxy S forums were full of people with the same problems.

The GPS simply never worked. The lag from the poor filesystem implementation was crippling and the wifi/cell stack was appallingly flaky.

Upvote 0
Carmen tell me you're not coming back to AT&T are you LOL

I just might :)

I haven't decided yet haha...I love Wp7 so much and Tmo is such a good fit for me right now...everytime I play with android now I get bored

but i am very envious of these new androids so who knows(its between the Atrix and LG smart phones)

I am working on this phone addiction though...I've kept my hd7 for the past 2 months and some change lol

Upvote 0
One thing I do wish is that AT&T markets this amazing phone like it should be. If it was on Verizon, it would have the Droid marketing campaign behind it. I can picture now what the commercials would look like...lol

I think AT&T has one of the funniest commercials out now, the email one, I saw this on TV the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCzpmtolPGE

The Taco party one was ok too.

Now if they can put some creativity behind the commercials for the Atrix.

Edit: Ok...I see Moto and/or AT&T are jump starting prompting this phone. Looking at the Ravens - Chiefs game:

"Replay Brought To You By Motorola Atrix"

I see this commercial all the time. Funny

Upvote 0
Starting with the Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro, all Motos will be effectively bootlocked. Don't count on the Atrix being able to receive root. Trust me. You won't be able to root your Atrix.

While I do tend to agree that Moto will very likely lock the bootloader on all their phones now; gaining root is another story all together. There hasn't been and Android device yet that has been "unrootable" and I honestly don't believe there will be.

Running a custom ROM might be up in the air, but root is pretty much inevitable.

Upvote 0
While I do tend to agree that Moto will very likely lock the bootloader on all their phones now; gaining root is another story all together. There hasn't been and Android device yet that has been "unrootable" and I honestly don't believe there will be.

Running a custom ROM might be up in the air, but root is pretty much inevitable.

Eh.. its just like anti virus software.

Guy builds virus.
Another guy builds virus protection.
Guy builds virus that gets around it.
The other guy patches his program to cover the new virus.
and on
and on
and on
and on
and on

The only way I could see them making an "unrootable" phone is to have a physical component designed to brick the chip if you attempt.

And I don't mean "brick" as in software probelms. I mean physically destroying the cpu or something.

But, that would be a pretty a-hole move and probably have legal reprocussions.

Upvote 0

Not on the Atrix it won't. NFuse, or whatever you call it, was just the beginning. My sources tells me that the Atrix is going to be more locked down than even the D2G or DroidPro. Moto likes it's MotoBlur. They believe that rooting causing stability probs and increases calls to tech support, thus decreasing profits from the original sale. Trust me. The Atrix is going to be bootlocked like you wouldn't believe. You would have a greater chance of getting into Fort Knox.

Upvote 0
Not on the Atrix it won't. NFuse, or whatever you call it, was just the beginning. My sources tells me that the Atrix is going to be more locked down than even the D2G or DroidPro. Moto likes it's MotoBlur. They believe that rooting causing stability probs and increases calls to tech support, thus decreasing profits from the original sale. Trust me. The Atrix is going to be bootlocked like you wouldn't believe. You would have a greater chance of getting into Fort Knox.

You have alot of sources that tell you alot of stuff. Tell the voices in your head i said HI

Upvote 0
Trust me. The Atrix is going to be bootlocked like you wouldn't believe. You would have a greater chance of getting into Fort Knox.

Stop saying bootlocked like you know what it means. I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you. Locked bootloader is NOT the same as gaining root. Motorola worked with TI on hardware implementing RSA encryption into the bootloader section of the ROM memory. It's a security feature of the OMAP processor series. As of yet the only other Tegra device that has been looked into is the Viewsonic G-tab; which had basically no security. We don't yet know exactly what sort of security might be hardware capable with this new platform; but all this deals with the bootloader alone. Gaining root access is much easier than attempting to defeat hardware encryption (which so far hasn't been done).

BTW, the only sort of people that should be saying things like "my sources" are people with assumed credibility. You have none. Show me proof and we'll talk.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Stop saying bootlocked like you know what it means. I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you. Locked bootloader is NOT the same as gaining root. Motorola worked with TI on hardware implementing RSA encryption into the bootloader section of the ROM memory. It's a security feature of the OMAP processor series. As of yet the only other Tegra device that has been looked into is the Viewsonic G-tab; which had basically no security. We don't yet know exactly what sort of security might be hardware capable with this new platform; but all this deals with the bootloader alone. Gaining root access is much easier than attempting to defeat hardware encryption (which so far hasn't been done).

BTW, the only sort of people that should be saying things like "my sources" are people with assumed credibility. You have none. Show me proof and we'll talk.

Bro please check out his idiotic March 6th release day thread and see how much off an asshat this dude is

Upvote 0
Dude... even I am horribly skeptical about possible problems for the atrix..

but, no one has solid evidence either way.

Thats part of why I am just being more silent on it.

If you seriously have real sources go ahead and trust them and make your own decision.

The rest of us will make our decisions based off what we want and we expect to happen.

With that said.. I am not going to be waiting around for the atrix by choice.. although at the rate I'm going I may end up waiting on it by force at the rate I'm going.

Upvote 0
I have no problems being a first adopter of this phone. I was one of the first to get a Moto phone back in the day (1990-91):

MotorolaMicroTAC.jpg

Motorola MicroTAC (Yes, I still have it.)

I was also one of the early testers of this famous Motorola phone back in 2004:

v3_big.jpg

Motorola RAZR V3 (Still have that one too.)

Not worried one bit about Motorola quality. Let's hear it for the ATRIX 4G! :)

motorola-atrix-580x428.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones