• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is Motorola Services?

Ag76

Oct 19, 2012
I've Googled Motorola Services and found lots of people complaining about it, but nobody seems to know exactly what it is. When I first got my phone, I noticed Motorola Services had used a lot of data, and the salesman in the Verizon store thought it monitored data usage or something like that. He thought it might be because I'd downloaded the Jelly Bean update. (on wifi) After a few days the usage was in kb instead of MB, so I quit worrying about it.

Today I checked my usage and see that Motorola Services is listed as "restricted". In settings I found a section called Device Administrators, and under that Motorola Serviced is listed, but is now unchecked on my phone. I'm guessing that's why it's listed as restricted under data usage. Should I enable Motorola Services again since it apparently is the default setting? Anybody know exactly what it does? I haven't noticed anything not working properly on the phone since it somehow became disabled, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: Motorola Services isn't restricted because Device Administrator is not enabled, it's because background data is restricted. Should I leave it restricted or enable it? I don't know how it became restricted because I didn't do it.

Hm. I just checked my data usage, it's only at like 2mb. Not exactly sure what it is either, I just figured it runs Moto's skin over android and maybe some of it's apps. It's never used a large amount of data on my phone, hasn't even come into my top ten actually. It's at 1.14mb this month after 9 days. I guess maybe the verizon guy restricted it in your phone after notificing it used a lot of data?

Regardless, I guess if your phone works fine with it restricted then leave it be. Unless you start missing calls, texts, notifications or anything detrimental, I probably wouldn't touch it.

Reactions: Ag76
Upvote 0
I went ahead and allowed the background data, mainly because I don't know for sure if I need it or not, and besides the first day I had the phone, it hasn't used a lot of data. But I do tend to keep an eye on Motorola Services to make sure it doesn't go crazy for whatever reason. I think your explanation probably makes sense, but find it odd that nobody seems to know exactly what it is, even on the Motorola forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones