• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the best equivalent to Gmail.com calling on desktop?

cutedroid

Jan 3, 2013
Dear Android community,

It's my first full day with an Android in my hand.

And one big thing I miss very much is the free calling I can do with Gmail.com.

The Gmail app in Google Play store does not have the calling feature. So Android experts, please tell me: what's the next best thing?

Looking for a free solution.

I've tried GrooVe IP Lite, but it can't make calls when I'm on data. It'll only work on WiFi.

I've installed also Talkatone. It looks good so far.

The device is Samsung Galaxy Note.
Model number: SHG1717R
Android version: 2.3.6
Baseband version: 1717RUXLA2
Kernel version: 2.6.35.11
Build number: Gingerbread.248

Maybe I'm missing something here but.....

It's a phone. Minutes are for calls, data is for well... data.

Apps for calling over WiFi so you don't use minutes or data allowances - Definitelly a good idea. What's the benefit in using your data for calls? Unless you run out of minutes and almost never use data, in which case you're ptobably on the wrong plan.

Upvote 0
For 5 bucks groove ip cam make calls over your data doesn't seem to that bad I've been using it for a while. It works well

Yep and it makes some pretty decent calls over Data. I have used it before for awhile and it did me pretty well.

Thread moved into the Android Applications forum since you are looking for an Application that will assist you with this issue.

Upvote 0
@david I use calls over data because it allows me to use a cheaper phone plan tmobile for example has a $30 unlimited data and text but only 100 minutes. The since I only really need the data and text this is a perfect plan. so by being able to call over data will keep me from using those 100 minutes and raising the price of my plan.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Looks like the thread is not answered yet.

Here's the background:
I keep traveling overseas a lot and need to call up US numbers from outside US. Usually at the airport or in hotels, there would be free Wifi or other inexpensive data plan which allows me to connect to internet.
Once on internet, I can use Skype or other such clients to talk to other Skype users or pay for calls to phones.

However the only free way to call up phone numbers in the US is using the gmail.com call applet. The voice quality is good and there are no delays in the connect.

I have an Android Galaxy Note. I can't find alternative to the gmail.com call applet in it. Google Voice is useless and won't allow me to call anyone. I couldn't figure out if Handouts (which replaces Gtalk) can make phone calls to US.

I haven't tried Groove and other such paid alternatives.
If gmail.com provides desktops free call facility, it would be great if they can do the same for the Android as well.

I have tried using Phony on firefox to get the original desktop version on Firefox Android, however the call applet still doesn't work there. It says "Install plugin" and clicking it doesn't do anything.

So my requirement is for a free app/way to call US numbers from outside of US.

Experts, please suggest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones