• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the best replacement home screen???

InAsheville

Lurker
Nov 26, 2009
I tried Home++ yesterday and didn't like it too much although I may just have to try it again. I didn't care for that "power strip" in Home++ either (can you turn it off?). I wished it would import all the icons from my regular home screen into Home++ so I don't have to re-create everything. Does anyone else out there have a better home screen replacement program? I saw people talking about GDE but I couldn't find the actual application in the Market Place. I also looked at the PandaHome but from the screen shots, it looked weird. I like the plain-jane version that came with my phone. I don't want fancy skins or colors or bells and whistles.

I tried Home++ yesterday and didn't like it too much although I may just have to try it again. I didn't care for that "power strip" in Home++ either (can you turn it off?). I wished it would import all the icons from my regular home screen into Home++ so I don't have to re-create everything. Does anyone else out there have a better home screen replacement program? I saw people talking about GDE but I couldn't find the actual application in the Market Place. I also looked at the PandaHome but from the screen shots, it looked weird. I like the plain-jane version that came with my phone. I don't want fancy skins or colors or bells and whistles.

For some reason a lot of people miss dxTop. Here is a thread:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/23303-your-thoughts-dxtop-droid-owners.html

It is very basic with four screens and lots feature you have to buy elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I am switching between DXtop and GDE right now. Can't decide witch one I like better.

Best way to find most of the home Apps is Apps >> All Apps >> Top Paid and scroll down most of them are not very far down on the list. Just remember you have 24 hours to try them as long as you uninstall before the 24 hours is up you wont be charged or will get a refund.

Upvote 0
I know this question is subjective but I was hoping to just figure out what the more popular home screens are. There isn't a "Home Screen" section of Market, and if you search, you get all sorts of results. I also did do a serach on this, but I came across stuff that was several weeks old and with as fast as things are developing for the Droid, I wanted to ask the question again to see what people were using. And see...I've already learned the names of a couple more apps that I hadn't already heard of: dxtop & aHome

Upvote 0
I've been using GDE since I got the phone and its worked flawlessly. I did have the errors some were talking about when I upped desktop count to 6 and added one of the pure widgets. Since removing the pure widget and taking back down my desktop count its been flawless again. I know thats not a controlled experiment.

Anyway the cube actually functions smoothly, the Hero theme is nice and the lower-res of it is barely noticible. Never really used default home much because of it. And from what I hear of others saying alternatives a bit laggy I don't think I'll try em for a while, unless they can offer something I don't have.

Upvote 0
I've been using dxTop since I got my Droid and I really like it. When I tried some of the others I wasn't able to use standard widgets with them. I would actually like to have more than 4 home screens however, so I may go back and try some of the others again to see if I can find one that works with standard widgets but has more than 4 screens.

I'm with those who cannot understand why android doesn't come default with an option for more than three screens. Just doesn't seem like it should be that big a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones