• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is your favorite form of exercise?

Along those lines, I discovered something about my back (chronic pain for years): stomach exercises.

I think it's well known among some physical therapists, etc, but I only last year came to understand the relationship between back strength and comfort, and strong abdominal muscles.. the abs support the back! ;)

Crunches, etc, can help some back problems.
Very true strong abs help but so does having a strong everything in the core. Crunches are ok and certainly better than nothing. But the most effective ab exercise IMO is the standing cable crunch. Really feel this from upper abs all the way down.
Short Spud Strap Ab Pulldowns
And quite frankly if you suffer from low back pain/issues actually strengthening the low back muscles is crucial too. If you are like me you probably also have tight hamstrings, glutes, etc. So keeping those loose is also vital.

Upvote 0
Maybe I should re-word that title.. we're going to see some funny responses. ;)

Anyway, I mean as a "keep fit" routine. I lift weights four days per week, "split routine," and ride my bicycle five or six days (outdoors weather permitting, indoors on a special stand in Winter).

How about you?

I play the banjo. Practicing those right hand rolls builds strength in my right hand for my other favorite form of right hand exercise. You know what I mean, picking those 16-th note triplets

Upvote 0
I play the banjo. Practicing those right hand rolls builds strength in my right hand for my other favorite form of right hand exercise. You know what I mean, picking those 16-th note triplets

Wow. 16 year-old triplets would've been great when I was sixteen.

The twins, Gloria and Gladys had to do, though.

Upvote 0
Good Luck. Always a fine line between pushing it and injury recovery.
I'm just the opposite. I love back stuff.
Always respected someone with a big thick strong back versus the mirror muscles physique

I completely agree with you on that. I think back exercises are entirely overlooked in most gyms. They are an absolute must!

otherwise you just end up with that gorilla walk :D

Upvote 0
I live just below the coast mountains and massive forest ranges, thus I greatly enjoy hiking and trail running. In winter snoe-showing.

Also snowboard and play ice-hockey in the winter, roller-hockey in the spring.

Not a gym person but tend to do some circuit training in the late winter months when it does nothing but rain here.

EDIT: oh and yoga. love yoga when I get motivated enough to keep it as a routine.

Upvote 0
Went to my first Bikram Yoga class this week and OMG it was the most brutal yoga I've done!!! The studio must have been 40 degrees celcius plus (105 fahrenheit), so you can imagine how most of the participants were dressed! lol. Oh, and got to say that half of the chicks there were beauts, lol.

It was a really good workout. I never really consider Yoga as a workout. More like something I'd do after a stressful day to calm down, lol. Well with this, I could feel my heart rate racing with this one. Leg muscles hurt badly (the good 'badly') the next day, so that just shows it was a really good workout :) Going to my second class this evening!

Upvote 0
Let me know how the pole dancing is. I've been thinking about trying it too.

not only does it look fun, the pole dancing, but ive seen some results from it and dammmn. too bad i still live at home or i'd totally have a pole in my room. i'd also like to know if you start this as a routine, how it all goes :)

Went to my first Bikram Yoga class this week and OMG it was the most brutal yoga I've done!!! The studio must have been 40 degrees celcius plus (105 fahrenheit), so you can imagine how most of the participants were dressed! lol. Oh, and got to say that half of the chicks there were beauts, lol.

It was a really good workout. I never really consider Yoga as a workout. More like something I'd do after a stressful day to calm down, lol. Well with this, I could feel my heart rate racing with this one. Leg muscles hurt badly (the good 'badly') the next day, so that just shows it was a really good workout :) Going to my second class this evening!

ahhh i did a "yoga heat" class this summer a few times probably once a week and dear god! yes 105 degrees and stretching and holding and wow. what a sweat. awesome work out though. after my first class, i felt muscles hurting i didn't even know existed!

Upvote 0
ahhh i did a "yoga heat" class this summer a few times probably once a week and dear god! yes 105 degrees and stretching and holding and wow. what a sweat. awesome work out though. after my first class, i felt muscles hurting i didn't even know existed!

I think for me, it was rowing that I felt the most pain and realized I had all these muscles all over my body I didn't even know about. lol

If you're given the opportunity to row, I suggest you do! :)

I have two months of Hot Yoga and after that I'll do some pole dancing lessons. When spring comes I'll pick up my on jogging. My goal is to beat my time for the 1/4 marathon, lol. If I keep up with my workout, I might be able to run with some friends for the 1/2 marathon in the fall! lol. I'm suppose to do weights on a regular basis considering I have a home gym at home...except it's sooooooo boring -_-;

Upvote 0
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, running down their friends, side-stepping responsibility, and pushing their luck![/FONT]

Upvote 0
I try to be ambitious and lift 4 days a week but in reality it's been more like 2 days lately as it's harder to find the time, even with my high priced gym membership that has indoor/outdoor pool, open 24/7, rock climbing wall, two basketball courts, racket ball court and more cardio and weight lifting equipment than you can shake a stick at.

I also play basketball 1-2 nights a week lately and when it's warmer outside I also play tennis a few times a month. Not athletic at all, but I also golf on the weekends but unless I walk and carry my bag it's not a workout.

Not a huge cardio fan so I get my running in during basketball and I play very hard so I sweat buckets on the court. I don't go crazy weight lifting due to time constraints so I check in at about an hour with weights.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones