• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What Kind of ROM Work Would You Like To See Next

How about slipping in the kernel from the ICS leak? Could be a start.

What's the normal way that a company would release the source code for a specific device?

Can we petition lg for source release?

not sure Mr dangerous...if a dev sees this they can answer otherwise I will find out for us later tonite

waves I will edit my post later to answer your question unless someone else can answer sooner.

barsdj it can't hurt. the worst thing they could say is no :)

Upvote 0
well after last nite jb sounds like a possibility after what we heard from pg and d2a

Well I do know that jelly bean is basically a major update of ICS. Hence why it's 4.1 and not 5.0

So maybe Jelly bean can be developed. I wouldn't care if we never got another rom again and all the devs put their efforts together in trying to get Jelly Bean for us.

Upvote 0
I've heard you use this a lot, what do you mean by 'bin kang'? Is it the same as porting?

Essentially, yes. You take the files from the bin folder on the device and dump them into the bin folder of the rom. You do the same with the lib files and the rom will generally work on the new device, provided the built files work with the hardware, kernel and firmware. Bin kang is porting with no work to change build prop or updater script. Basically, drag and drop, whereas porting updates the rom details for the new phone.

Upvote 0
I've always thought it would be nice if someone could make an OS like Android or Windows where the HW specific portion was modular to the OS and separate. That way you could leave your kernel and drivers and flash the rest.

While we're on the subject again, how about once we are building roms from source for this phone, someone try to make one using the Linaro tool chain?

Upvote 0
I've always thought it would be nice if someone could make an OS like Android or Windows where the HW specific portion was modular to the OS and separate. That way you could leave your kernel and drivers and flash the rest.
Well, they do. The kernel is what gets the software to communicate with the hardware and it does so through the device-specific lib and ril files.

A better solution along your lines would be for the OS to be standard and have devs make device-specific kernels and packages that imported the necessary libs and rils. A lot harder to do, since the compilation process now takes the standard CM or AOSP and adds the device/vendor files to make the OS work on the device. But it would be cool if what you described was possible.... there's way too many Android phones, with way too many root methods and configurations to dev for.

Upvote 0
How about an ics/Jb based ROM with customizable themes... Then again the devs would need to integrate an app that would let you dump images and icons as you please.efficiency of Android 4 and fully customizable themes. This is quite the throwback, but being able to create and share themes like the old womanly days would be pretty sweet!

Upvote 0
Honestly? I don't want this to sound witchy or rude, because I do NOT mean it that way, but.

I would love to see a ROM like broken out without the awful UI changes. I want a custom ROM for performance changes, not appearance changes. UI changes (like clock in the middle, changes in colors, etc) should be left to the user to change, IF they want to do so. I dream of a ROM as sexy as BO without it's unfortunate butterface.

Bonus points if it's based on ics! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones