• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What launcher are you using?

Ok, based on all of the people using it I finally tried Nova Prime today. I have to admit, it's pretty nice. I used my free google store credit to get it. :)

The only thing that might drive me back to tw is the calendar widget. Has anyone found one as nice as the one in tw?

Hi All,

just upgrade my S3 to a note 3, disappointed with icon size, want more on home screen.

having read this and other threads it appears the way to go is a launcher and one of the more popular ones is nova prime.

A few elmentrary questions

A) does the phone have to be rooted to use a launcher, I think not but need to check
B) the quote above mentions the calendar I use a google calendar as my home page, does the above just apply to the stock calendar or others ie google, and what exactly does it do to it.
C)if i download Nova Prime on my S3 try it, as it is a paid app can I still down load it on my note, which will have the same phone number but new sim

cheers

gorsebush

Upvote 0
Hi All,

just upgrade my S3 to a note 3, disappointed with icon size, want more on home screen.

having read this and other threads it appears the way to go is a launcher and one of the more popular ones is nova prime.

A few elmentrary questions

A) does the phone have to be rooted to use a launcher, I think not but need to check
B) the quote above mentions the calendar I use a google calendar as my home page, does the above just apply to the stock calendar or others ie google, and what exactly does it do to it.
C)if i download Nova Prime on my S3 try it, as it is a paid app can I still down load it on my note, which will have the same phone number but new sim

cheers

gorsebush

A) No
B) Should be just the stock (Samsung Calendar Widget). Google Calendar widget should still work fine. I don't use the stock OEM wigets (regardless of which phone it is), so I can't say what it does to it really.
C) Should be able to download the Guide. I remember getting the version geared towards the Note 2 and referenced that, until I got more familiar with some of the added software enhancements.

Upvote 0
I've been using Aviate. It's very different from the other launchers I tried and it's the first one I've sick to for this long. It changes your home screen depending on where you are but the part I like best is the collections of applications.

For calendar app I really like Sunrise. Clean fast and visually appealing.

Upvote 0
I've been using Aviate. It's very different from the other launchers I tried and it's the first one I've sick to for this long. It changes your home screen depending on where you are but the part I like best is the collections of applications.

For calendar app I really like Sunrise. Clean fast and visually appealing.

Sounds cool, might have to check it out :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
Yahoo purchased it. It's not for everyone because it changes a lot. I'm too much of a control freak to use that. I enjoy having options to change, but don't enjoy something being changed for me, which basically is what Aviate does.

Yeah I noticed that, it was very weird, the first time it changed that is lol.

I was just like, "Woah, excuse me phone?", I mean it was cool as heck, but like you I like to change and control my phone. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I noticed that, it was very weird, the first time it changed that is lol.

I was just like, "Woah, excuse me phone?", I mean it was cool as heck, but like you I like to change and control my phone. :)

I'm sure it needs a little time to get used to your habits, but it's the worst feeling when you want to get to something really quickly, but you're not able to do it because the configuration has changed enough that you have to spend more time looking for it.

They types of users I see it working well for are the ones that are not app-heavy users and don't like doing customizations on their own, while also wanting a refreshing change every day. I'm somewhat a creature of habit, except for the times I find an app that'll make one of my routines even easier.

Upvote 0
Aviate is my new favorite on my phone, think Google Now with a touch of location-aware app categorization, and a decent example of flat design. Three days in it knows to enable work mode at work, home mode at home, listening mode during nature walks, and transit mode in driving. I love it, and no more having to go through the convoluted method that Nova needs to add apps in folders within the app drawer. I never could get used to drawer--nova settings--app drawer--drawer groups--folders--blah! Just to shove an icon into a folder. I love its minimalist flat design. Not pinkie pie girly pastels like iOS 7, not a throwback to the Windows 1.x era or the OS/2 era, but a clean and proper flat design. Sure sucks how no OEM can do flat UI without it coming off ugly as heck. I mean, come on new S5 TouchWiz the 70s ended decades ago

Smart launcher 2 Pro runs on my tablets, very fast. Reminds me of the UI of the Gear 2 with its flat UI and default icon set, giving more consistency. Both work perfectly fine with the TouchWiz features as well.

Upvote 0
I have been running ADW launcher for 3 yrs... it has everything I wanted.
but it has not been updated since July 2013. I guess the developer dropped this app.
so it is starting to have issues.

I have purchased Nova Launcher the last time it was on sale.
I tried it, but seem to missing a lot of features that was on ADW Launcher.
Nova is so basic....

Upvote 0
but it has not been updated since July 2013. I guess the developer dropped this app.

Nova is so basic....
So... What are you missing from it?

Upvote 0

Nova is so basic....

FYI - I'm pretty sure ADW just released a "new" version.

As for Nova being so "basic", that's probably the last thing that I'd classify it. Nova is the reason I really don't care what OEM's do with the UI. Nova has so many options for customization, that there are even some features that are used on OEM specific UI's.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
yeah.. the new ADW is still in Beta...
I don't want to be the experimental bug finder .. so I will wait till it comes out with full release.
I play around with it in the evenings on my secondary phone. I find bugs I report them. I think of suggestions, I send them to tye dev.
It's definitely not ready to be a daily driver but once all the bugs are worked out it will be pretty sweet!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones