• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Phone Will You Upgrade to in the Next 6 Months?

What are your upgrade plans in the next 6 months?

• HTC Thunderbolt

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • Motorola Droid Bionic

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • LG Revolution

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unnamed Samsung Samoled+ dual core phone

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Future Dual Core HTC Phone

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • iPhone 4/5

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Keeping my Droid until at least 2012

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters
I'm honestly considering waiting for the Droid 3 now. If nobody's going to be smart and release a 4.3" phone with a keyboard, I guess the rumored 4" and keyboard is an alright compromise between the two cookie-cutter formats of 3.7" slider and 4.3" slate.

Personally, I'd rather see actual comfortable form factors instead of the highlight of the year being "put your phone into this stupid shell that is as bulky as a netbook and instead of a nice full-fledged Windows installation running Firefox you get a laggy and painful Android-served Firefox browser". Where's the differentiation? This is why the Evo is getting on a year old and is still the king. Innovation has slowed down.

Upvote 0
I've been able to upgrade since the end of January but unfortunately there's not a single phone on Verizon's network I see worthy of upgrading to (considering I will have to keep it for the next 2 years).

I want a PHYSICAL KEYBOARD as it makes the phone more functional, since my Droid 1 acts as my laptop when I'm out and about. That means almost every phone but the Droid 2 is out of play. Unfortunately the Droid 2 was a disappointment as almost everything stayed the same except for processor and RAM (why did they think blue and grey looked better than ALL BLACK).

I am beginning to get worried as my Droid 1 is starting to seriously act up due to having it for almost 2 years nows. I'm hoping I can ride out this phone till something good comes along hopefully in the next couple months.

The only thing I'm kinda looking into (if my phone seriously crashes) is the HTC Merge as it has a 4" screen (I would like to upgrade from 3.7 Droid) and WAY better keyboard than any smartphone on VZW network. Unfortunately this phone is kinda poorly spec'd at 800 mhz (although this will get over-clocked above 1ghz on day 1). Not a dream phone but seemingly only option other than D2.

Ideal phone:
Basically a Motorola Atrix with a keyboard (can care less about a large laptop dock as I already have a laptop).

Upvote 0
I've been able to upgrade since the end of January but unfortunately there's not a single phone on Verizon's network I see worthy of upgrading to (considering I will have to keep it for the next 2 years).

I want a PHYSICAL KEYBOARD as it makes the phone more functional, since my Droid 1 acts as my laptop when I'm out and about. That means almost every phone but the Droid 2 is out of play. Unfortunately the Droid 2 was a disappointment as almost everything stayed the same except for processor and RAM (why did they think blue and grey looked better than ALL BLACK).

I am beginning to get worried as my Droid 1 is starting to seriously act up due to having it for almost 2 years nows. I'm hoping I can ride out this phone till something good comes along hopefully in the next couple months.

The only thing I'm kinda looking into (if my phone seriously crashes) is the HTC Merge as it has a 4" screen (I would like to upgrade from 3.7 Droid) and WAY better keyboard than any smartphone on VZW network. Unfortunately this phone is kinda poorly spec'd at 800 mhz (although this will get over-clocked above 1ghz on day 1). Not a dream phone but seemingly only option other than D2.

Ideal phone:
Basically a Motorola Atrix with a keyboard (can care less about a large laptop dock as I already have a laptop).

I'm in the exact same boat as you are.

By the way, does the Merge actually have a 4" screen? Every rumor I've heard about it (and there are millions for that damn vapor-phone) listed a 3.7" screen. A 4" screen would be wonderful! The only phone that I've seen that has a 4" screen and keyboard is the rumored Droid 3.

Upvote 0
Got some new leaked pix of the DX2 and Droid 3, but now there's a new contender dropping their name in the hat, the Motorola Targa. Phandroid has speculated that the Targa could have a 13mp camera. Here's the link to the pix:

[Update] Motorola Droid 3, Droid X 2, and Targa Show their Stuff in Leaked Images | Android Phone Fans

Choosing a new phone these days is a lot like playing Texas Hold' Em, isn't it? You know most of what's out there, but ya just don't know what someone's got in the hole.

Upvote 0

I don't understand how one particular brand of ARM processor could have issues with instructions from one particular radio technology. But okay.

I'm personally not mourning this loss; with all of their recent locked bootloaders, Motorola is dead to me anyway. The only thing I'll look at is the Droid 3 because it offers a physical keyboard.

Plus, what does the Bionic offer that the Droid Charge or Galaxy S II don't? Those phones even have Super AMOLED Plus screens. I don't understand what everyone finds so appealing about the Bionic, it's another cookie-cutter 4.3" phone.

Upvote 0
I have no idea what's going on with the Bionic, but I hate how tight lipped Moto has been about it. They never gave out info, they're not refuting these latest rumors and the phone is no where to be seen. I'm starting to lean toward the SGS2, now. The only thing that might change that is we get official word on the Bionic or the rumored Targa (if it even exists).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones