• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Almost ready to say goodbye to my Bionic. Which phones are you guys switching to?

You say you have gotten replacement phones for a charging issue. Normally when they send you a replacement like that, it's just the bare phone, you have to move the battery, sim and SD card over to the new phone. Have you been moving your battery from phone to phone and not having a replacement?

If you have been using the same battery it's likely that your battery is just at the end of it's life. Keep in mind it's had to be recharged 4 or 5 times more than an old dumb phone would have had to been charged so the battery life becomes an issue before the 2 years is up.

If it's not that, it could be the charger, although thats less likely. Do you still use the original charger? If not, do you use an OEM Motorola charger that's been approved for use with the Bionic? Both an OEM charger and OEM battery are pretty cheap on Amazon to hold you over till you get your new phone, not to mention these devices will be VERY useful even when they stop being used as phones.

Yeah tried new battery same deal. Yeah man bought the new charger back in december. ITs prob crap i have to hold the charger in a certain position for it to charge. If it slighty moves puff it wont charge. But tbh i could care less. Im wanting to switch over the the iphone for personal reasons also =)

Upvote 0
Yeah tried new battery same deal. Yeah man bought the new charger back in december. ITs prob crap i have to hold the charger in a certain position for it to charge. If it slighty moves puff it wont charge. But tbh i could care less. Im wanting to switch over the the iphone for personal reasons also =)
OEM battery and charger for the new ones?

The reason I ask is it's a shame to let the device go to waste. We all move to a new phone eventually, I'm starting to look myself, but the Bionic has been a great phone, even if Verizon has had growing pains during the time I've had it.

But my original battery was about at the end of it's life so I bought 3 new ones. Even when I get a new phone in a few months, the Bionic will have a great life as a GPS and a media player as well as a small Kindle reader.

Upvote 0
OEM battery and charger for the new ones?

The reason I ask is it's a shame to let the device go to waste. We all move to a new phone eventually, I'm starting to look myself, but the Bionic has been a great phone, even if Verizon has had growing pains during the time I've had it.

But my original battery was about at the end of it's life so I bought 3 new ones. Even when I get a new phone in a few months, the Bionic will have a great life as a GPS and a media player as well as a small Kindle reader.

Yes both OEM. It wont go to waste. Im going to sell it to verizon and apply that to my upgrade

Upvote 0
Well all it's time for me to say goodbye. One of my employees phone's died; a Fascinate Galaxy 1. Bad charging circuit or something would cause it to lock in battery diag mode.

Anyway, better for me to get a new phone than a field employee so I gave him my Bionic after I updated it to JB. Still an awesome phone and I was perfectly happy. Ended up with a Razr HD Maxx for $149. I think they are dumping them since they are six months old and something is probably coming down the pipe.

In comparision to the Bionic, the RHDmaxx is about the same dimensions but a huge battery hiding in there. At the end of my normal the day I still have 75% battery compared to 30% or less on the Bionic. The HD AMOLED display is nice. Both phones lost MotoPrint in JB which is a bummer. The Bionic still has Exchange Tasks synching though which is gone on the Razr. Maybe I'll rip the apk and try it on the Razr. Otherwise somewhat more refined hardware but substantially the same phone.

So I'll be in the RazrHD forum but might pop in from time to time. Be well, you are a great group of people.
Lars

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Well all it's time for me to say goodbye. One of my employees phone's died; a Fascinate Galaxy 1. Bad charging circuit or something would cause it to lock in battery diag mode.

Anyway, better for me to get a new phone than a field employee so I gave him my Bionic after I updated it to JB. Still an awesome phone and I was perfectly happy. Ended up with a Razr HD Maxx for $149. I think they are dumping them since they are six months old and something is probably coming down the pipe.

In comparision to the Bionic, the RHDmaxx is about the same dimensions but a huge battery hiding in there. At the end of my normal the day I still have 75% battery compared to 30% or less on the Bionic. The HD AMOLED display is nice. Both phones lost MotoPrint in JB which is a bummer. The Bionic still has Exchange Tasks synching though which is gone on the Razr. Maybe I'll rip the apk and try it on the Razr. Otherwise somewhat more refined hardware but substantially the same phone.

So I'll be in the RazrHD forum but might pop in from time to time. Be well, you are a great group of people.
Lars

Bye Lars and good luck!

Funny thing was, I was driving past Verizon yesterday...then I doubled back to see when I am eligible for an upgrade. Seems I'm eligible. I was looking at the RAZR HD Max and the Samsung Galaxy S III. I'm torn between the battery life of the RHDmaxx vs the superior camera in the GSIII. I'm in real estate and take lots of pictures. But I have always had Motorola.

Don't know if I should wait longer to see what's next since my Bionic still runs well.

Once again, good luck Lars!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I stopped using my Bionic full time as a phone when I moved to the Galaxy Nexus. I moved from that to GS3 on CM10.1 which is my current but I still use my Bionic and Nexus over WiFi as well so they still see use and work good.

If I was still using the Bionic all the time and was upgrading I'd go GS4.. Note II is the only other one I'm interested in on VZW but its already got age to it now and that horrible branding on the button (jmo). Honestly the only Moto phone I'd give a look to is the supposed "X" phone they're supposed to be bringing out eventually..but if it has locked bootloader I'd skip that too

Upvote 0
I'm saying goodbye too. I just pre-ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I will be keeping my Bionic for a media player, use with the Lapdock, and on WiFi from time to time.

My S4 and Otterbox Defender case are due to ship out May 30th.

I will miss you guys! I will still pop in from time to time to see who of the ole gang is still here.

Upvote 0
I will soon be eligible for a subsidized upgrade on Verizon. The Galaxy S4 is the only interesting phone on Verizon at the moment, but it doesn't really seem like a tremendous upgrade.

I might just continue to use my Bionic until something truly impressive is available -- maybe the Nexus 5 if it is a premium product and if it is available on Verizon. The Nexus 4 is neither premium (no LTE) nor available on Verizon. :(

Upvote 0
I got my Bionic on the first day it was released with such high expectations, and unfortunately, I was highly disappointed. I got so fed up with this thing that at one point (before a factory data reset) I switched back to my OG Droid.

Anyway, I pre-ordered the S4 and probably won't buy another Motorola product again. Tracking says it'll be here tomorrow!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones