• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What really ruined my experience with this phone... after rooting.

AJSILVA1107

Lurker
Feb 25, 2013
My GF bought a new iPhone 4s from Virgin Mobile a while back and I was excited to "inherit" her Evo V. Coming from a rooted Triumph I couldn't wait to root my next phone. Since the very first day I unlocked bootloader, s-off, and rooted it, the touchscreen is very glitchy and unresponsive at times.

I checked the option for visual feedback for screen touches and then it shows as if I'm touching the screen, in random places across the screen (mostly in the very center). When I try to swipe to scroll, the screen doesn't move because there is "already contact" in whatever spot elsewhere. Visual feedback indicating touches flash all over the screen in different areas and a lot of times selections are being made and double-tap to zoom happens when I don't mean it to. Turning the screen off then on again makes these dots disappear but it ALWAYS comes back and I'm constantly re-unlocking my phone.

It doesn't matter what custom rom I flash (ICS or JB) the issue is still there. I've wiped everything clean countless times. Someone suggested I flash ruu so I did and it never gets better. I think the Evo V is an awesome phone and I could deal with each roms flaws, but this problem is making my phone unusable. Does anyone have the same problem? Did you get to fix it? Advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. :hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

I think its hardware-related. The screen turns on, heats up, recognized random touches and when you turn it off, it cools down. Fortunately for you, the screen on this phone is pretty simple to replace (I've already had to do mine) and costs roughly $40 on eBay if you get the whole front end (which I would highly recommend). The probably cause of your screen failing like this is water damage which is why I'd so highly recommended getting the whole front screen/lcd/softkeys assembly.

Reactions: AJSILVA1107
Upvote 0
Definitely just a coincidence, it's a hardware failure. You can follow one of the unrooting guides and take it back to stock if you want to test that idea. I agree with dermo529, get the whole front assembly from eBay and replace it, I've done it myself too and it wasn't bad. There are a bunch of great step by step vids on youtube (evo 3d).

Reactions: AJSILVA1107
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones