• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what will 2.1 bring?

i really like my eris, but i'm beginning to get really annoyed with my lagging text messages. i've tried the stock, handcent and chomp and they all lag. plus, my unlock screen always freezes, and i have to pull the battery out because i can't press the end button to shut it down.
i'm still in my 30 day window at verizon and thinking of switching to a blackberry, but with talk of 2.1 coming out within the next week, i feel i should wait to see if that corrects my problems.

does anyone know what 2.1 is going to bring/update?

Dude just go get another one its just a firmware issue no reason to switch to crack berry and then if that one breaks just wait again and out will come the motorola devour

Upvote 0
The UI adds Friend Stream, a view of messages coming from various social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, as well as a new way to use the touchscreen to see all seven main screens by pinching two fingers together on the screen. The UI also puts a person's contacts into new groups so a single text message can be sent to a specific group of friends. It offers better e-mail management than the previous version, including an Unread E-mail Group for unread e-mail from all addresses, as well as the ability to Add Widgets such as Call Mom, which starts green and turns red over time if Mom's phone number is dialed, or a widget to split dinner bills or perform other tasks.
This was taken from an article comparing the Nexus One with the HTC Desire....they say the Desire has Sense that's modded for 2.1 so hopefully the Eris will receive similar features when (and hopefully soon) the OTA finally comes out! Btw here's the article if you wanna read the rest:
HTC Unveils Update to Nexus One and HTC Legend - PCWorld

Upvote 0
I'm curious to know if you are experiencing the same lag as I am with stock, handcent and chomp or something different than I am experiencing

1)Keyboard Rotation takes 3-5 secs
2) After typing and pressing send it takes another 5+seconds to send
3)Opening Handcent & Chomp takes almost 10 seconds

I have noticed that Stock actually is faster opening the app and sending messages

and imho, DONT GO BLACKBERRY...THE STORM sucked when i had it and I heard the storm 2 isn't THAT MUCH better(basically kind of like the sprint hero is the storm 1 and the eris would be the storm 2....slightly different, same phone all around)

i'd go moto droid...
and plus if you switch and it gets 2.0+, you will be mad haha
and if you don't switch and it doesn't get it within the next week, you will be mad

hmmm....

Download Spareparts in the market it will give a nice boost to the eris. Handcent is a good sms app. I have used it for awhile and works like a champ.

Upvote 0
So with the new update we can expect a larger app market? Will there be twice as many apps? More..? How about quality.. are we going to get some higher quality apps with 2.1?

For me I am just hoping for some more choices on certain apps as well as quality and I am hoping for a much larger app market to satisfy myself... :D!

Upvote 0
So with the new update we can expect a larger app market? Will there be twice as many apps? More..? How about quality.. are we going to get some higher quality apps with 2.1?

For me I am just hoping for some more choices on certain apps as well as quality and I am hoping for a much larger app market to satisfy myself... :D!

I think it will help people to decide on buying an android device and then more people will make more / better apps :D

Upvote 0
The 2.1 update will be the beginning of a whole new era!!!

Eris to v3.x, when?
what will 3.x bring?
Another video of 3.x on Eris
So I talked to a guy at Verizon today...
I called Verizon and HTC about 3.x
htc eris to get 3.x update this week
So I talked to my mom today and she said 3.x is coming this week!
3.x OTA Leaked Download?
Can Android 3.x work for the Eris

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones