• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What will I miss in new phone?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
Old phone is faulty, switch on a few seconds/minutes and it will auto shut down.

If I am unable to access the old phone,
1) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone, in the new phone can I install whatsapp and use in the new phone? Old phone has already installed whatsapp using the same SIM card.
2) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone, what data will I be missing from the old phone?
3) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone and use the new phone for some months, then I repair the old phone, can I still get back all the data e.g. whatsapp/sms/photos... in the old phone?

Thanks

Last edited:
Old phone is faulty, switch on a few seconds/minutes and it will auto shut down.

Perhaps it's just the battery is knackered, and needs replacing?

If I am unable to access the old phone,
1) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone, in the new phone can I install whatsapp and use in the new phone? Old phone has already installed whatsapp using the same SIM card.

Yes. Provided you kept the same phone number with the SIM, WhatsApp should just be able to connect and login to your WhatsApp account. But the WhatsApp messages from the broken phone won't be available, unless you backed them up previously.

2) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone, what data will I be missing from the old phone?

All of it will be missing. A SIM doesn't usually contain any of your data, unless you specifically stored it there yourself, e.g. contact details. SIMs can usually only store contact details, and even then their capacity can be very limited, like 32kilobytes.

3) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone and use the new phone for some months, then I repair the old phone, can I still get back all the data e.g. whatsapp/sms/photos... in the old phone?

Possibly. Provided the phone was repaired without wiping the stored data, or the main logic-board wasn't changed, then your data, like photos, SMS, etc. should still be accessible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whatsapp was installed in old phone for a long time, if I take out SIM card from old phone and insert into new phone and install whatsapp in new phone, then if I switch on the old phone (without any SIM card) will I be able to see old whatsapp messages on the old phone? Will old whatsapp messages be appearing in the old phone without any SIM card or with a new SIM card?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whatsapp was installed in old phone for a long time, if I take out SIM card from old phone and insert into new phone and install whatsapp in new phone, then if I switch on the old phone (without any SIM card) will I be able to see old whatsapp messages on the old phone? Will old whatsapp messages be appearing in the old phone without any SIM card or with a new SIM card?

Thought you said your old phone wouldn't stay on, and was "faulty"? Is it actually usable or not? Because if it is, you can backup and restore WhatsApp messages without actually logging into WhatsApp itself, using a file manager app. https://faq.whatsapp.com/601558080647471/?locale=en_US

I'm pretty sure you can't log into WhatsApp without a SIM and associated phone number, because AFAIK WhatsApp logs in via sending/receiving an SMS.

Upvote 0
Old phone will auto shut down after a few minutes, I think not enough time to do a backup before it switches off again. I was thinking I would just remove sim card from old phone and insert into new phone and install whatsapp then later if I am free then I would send the phone to repair and then retrieve the old whatsapp message, but I read the info below and it seems like once I install whatsapp in the new phone, I would not be able to access the old phone whatsapp again.

"Use a new SIM card with the same number to activate WhatsApp on your new phone. This is the fastest way to deactivate your account on the stolen phone. WhatsApp can only be activated with one phone number on one device at a time." https://faq.whatsapp.com/449960055665529/?locale=en_US

Upvote 0
When you put your SIM in your new phone you will not be able to access WhatsApp on the old phone unless you put the SIM back in that one (at which point you won't be able to access it in the new phone until you replace the SIM there).

WhatsApp has probably been making daily local backups anyway, so you may have them on the phone's internal storage already. So if you can manage to copy them off then you'd have something. You'll need to copy the WhatsApp media folder too. Otherwise I'd at least try turning the backup to Google Drive on and seeing whether the phone will stay up long enough: you wouldn't be the first person to send a phone to be repaired with the clear stipulation that it should not be reset and find that stipulation is ignored (and anyway if they decided the fault was a component on the motherboard - which is possible - then their method of repair will almost certainly be to replace the motherboard, i.e. bye-bye data). So I'd try whatever you can before sending the phone away.

Also I'm not sure that you'll be able to restore data from a backup taken later without erasing messages that have arrived in the meanwhile. So I really would try to get one now.

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
"To maintain security, limit data retention, and protect the privacy of our users, WhatsApp accounts are generally deleted after 120 days of inactivity. Inactivity means the user hasn’t connected to WhatsApp.
An internet connection is required for an account to be active. If a user has WhatsApp open on their device, but they don't have an internet connection, then the account will be inactive.
Content stored locally on a user’s device prior to account deletion will remain until WhatsApp is deleted from the device. When a user reregisters for WhatsApp on the same device, their locally stored content will reappear." https://faq.whatsapp.com/2551264625111105/?locale=en_US

Do I need to be using the same phone number and same SIM card for the old phone locally stored content to reappear?

If I do not insert any SIM card for the old phone will the old phone locally stored content reappear?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I am already using whatsapp in the new phone, after repairing my old phone can I access old phone whatsapp by doing these steps without inserting any SIM card into the old phone?

How to set up WhatsApp on a phone without a SIM by using a second phone:

1. Download and open WhatsApp on your phone without a SIM card.
  2. Read the privacy policy and terms of service offered by the welcome screen.
  3. Hit Agree and continue.
  4. Enter your other device’s phone number.
  5. Press Next.
  6. Verify your number is correct and press OK.
  7. The app will send a text message to your active device.
  8. Get the code and enter it into the phone without a SIM.
  9. You should be good to Go!
https://www.androidauthority.com/use-whatsapp-without-sim-card-870736/

I am wondering if this works then if there is a new whatsapp message does it show on both phones?
If last message received in old phone is 1 Jan 2020 then I do the step above on old phone in 1 Dec 2020 and a new message comes in in 1 Dec 2020 so does it mean all messages from 2 Jan 2020 to 30 Nov 2020 is missing in old phone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the last whatsapp google drive backup was 1 Jan.

If on 30 Jan I do a manual google drive whatsapp backup and the phone auto shut down halfway during the backup. If I restore whatsapp backup on the new phone, do I get a corrupted 30 Jan backup or 1 Jan good backup or not able to restore any backup?

How to save whatsapp backup in computer? I guess transfer speed likely to be faster than saving online.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones