• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What will we do when sprint stops supporting Wimax??

LTE is a 10 year plan.

The wimax contract ends in 2015, and Sprint has the option to extend. However, it's expected that around mid 2014 Virgin will get LTE phones. At that point your phone will be two years old. About the time most people crave a new one.

Exactly. By then we'll have phones that will put this V to shame.

Let us see how much LTE on prepaid will cost.. LOL

Reactions: smartphone45
Upvote 0
Exactly. By then we'll have phones that will put this V to shame.

Let us see how much LTE on prepaid will cost.. LOL

Yep. Hopefully it'll stay the same! BTW is there any word on when the Evo V 4G will be coming to Boost Mobile retailers? I got mine from RS, but also am looking to get one as a gift but want to give my local retailer some business because they have always treated me well.

Upvote 0
Well I'm assuming the iphones that virgin mobile is releasing is LTE. Sooooo they make up for it by making the phone ridiculously expensive($600).
iPhones don't have LTE and VM has no LTE network. So I doubt that is a correct assumption.

I am guessing it will be a Sprint iPhone with some minor alterations for VM.

This is also off-topic in regards to this thread, so if you want to discuss iPhones on VM, try checking this thread out: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile/561321-virgin-mobile-gets-iphone.html. Thanks ;)

Reactions: Hollaback12786
Upvote 0
Well I'm assuming the iphones that virgin mobile is releasing is LTE. Sooooo they make up for it by making the phone ridiculously expensive($600).

I don't think any VM or BM phones would have LTE at this point. It's too new to Sprint. They are basically using it as a selling point.

Eventually we'll see it but not until WiMAX is nearing It's end of life probably. =\

Upvote 0
:D

When I go to virginmobileusa.com web site, I see phones such as LG101 which is a low end 2G/3G phone and HTC EVO V 4G which is latest high end (for VM USA) wi-max phone.

Virgin Mobile USA started with 2G/3G network and is expnding to future state (4G LTE). In betweek they want to utilize existing contract and capacity of wimax via Clearwire.

Whenever, there was something new to offer, VM USA came up with promotions and plans. People switched to new phones with new plans. SOme people stayed back on their 2G/3G phones and plans. With HTC EVO V, people switched to wimax 4G with plan rate increase (minimum 35 USD).

So VM USA still sees demand for basic 2G/3G phones and 2G/3G network and hence is maintaining and providing tjhose services/networks. If the demand for wi-max 4G, HTC EVO V keeps rising then Sprint will renew the contract with Clearwire (Sprint owns less than 50% stocks of Clearwire and has 7 out of 13 members on Clearwire board). Clearwire is building 4G LTE network and is also maintaining the wi-max network (until there are customers like Sprint and others).

We will have wi-max available the same way as we still have basic 2G/3G networks available. In fact, I read that Sprint and BVerizon are upgrading 3G network to EVDO Rev B (they do not want to rely too much on 4G demand/network - which is not rolled out to to each and every corner of USA).

In worst case, if wi-max and HTC EVO V 4G phone demand goes down at VM USA, we will have 4G LTE phone by 2015 and a new rate plan. Also, are we going to hang on to HTC EVO V 4G until 2015? We as customers also want to switch to latest and greatest as soon as possible.

Thus, it is all in demand and supply. We can enjoy HTC EVO V 4G and wi-max as long as there is demand for it. Think of today and now (the American way) and lets see what future 4G network Sprint/VM USA brings to us which we do not have control over.

Here is a good tutorial on 2G, 3G, 4G, etc.

2G, 3G, 4G, and everything in between: an Engadget wireless primer -- Engadget

I personally will prefer universal free (or fixed minimum monthly fee) seamless broadband wi-fi network across USA.

Upvote 0

If Sprint is making money on HTC EVO V - phone sales and monthly subscription charges - then they will definitely continue using Wi-Max. In worse case, we will be on a upgraded faster 3G - EVDO Rev. B network. They have to make 3G better as they are landing iPhone soon. Howver, I doubt that many of us would continue using HTC EVO V after 2014 or 2015 if Samsung Galaxy S2 or Samsung Galaxy S3 or any other Quadcore - 4G LTE phone lands on Virgin Mobile USA network. The HTC EVO V owners might upgrade to USD 45 per month for 4G LTE.

But again Sprint will continue providing Wi-Max and HTC EVO V (or other Wi-Max enabled phones) if they are making profits.

Upvote 0

If Sprint is making money on HTC EVO V - phone sales and monthly subscription charges - then they will definitely continue using Wi-Max. In worse case, we will be on a upgraded faster 3G - EVDO Rev. B network. They have to make 3G better as they are landing iPhone soon. Howver, I doubt that many of us would continue using HTC EVO V after 2014 or 2015 if Samsung Galaxy S2 or Samsung Galaxy S3 or any other Quadcore - 4G LTE phone lands on Virgin Mobile USA network. The HTC EVO V owners might upgrade to USD 45 per month for 4G LTE.

But again Sprint will continue providing Wi-Max and HTC EVO V (or other Wi-Max enabled phones) if they are making profits.

I gotta say that ive fallen in love with the 3D (videos mostly) and that it would be hard to give that up as a feature although at some point the Evo V will be discontinued and i may lose it forever if it decides to wither and die........ but hopefully by then they'll release a 2.5ghz Quad-Core 3D phone (maybe the Evo V 2) :)

Upvote 0
I know that even when it comes time to upgrade again, This phone will stay part of my family.

I've also fallen in love with the 3D feature. It's amazing some of the memories I'm making.

They'd better have a pretty high end phone for me to switch to. I'm also not going to get another WiMAX device....

Lol why not another WiMax device?

Upvote 0
If you still have the phone by then, network vision should be in full effect and our 3G speeds are supposedly going to be greatly improved. Supposedly. Also read there were gonna move that to the 800mHz (or 850, can't remember) spectrum, which our phones support so we should get better coverage, both inside and outside of buildings.

Upvote 0
LTE is in the works now and fiber optic links are being implemented in markets all over the US for each cell site. Some markets are higher priority as Sprint needs the bandwidth to implement new products it seems...they may just drop Clearwire when time comes and roll their own LTE product or a hybrid of the two.

If you live in a certain city in Maryland I would keep an eye on your speeds/coverage for 3G/4G over the next year or so..

Upvote 0

In worst case scenario, if Sprint decides to drop Wi-Max and Clearwire, I can imagine 3 scenarios:

If we decide to stick with EVO V and Sprint decides to not give us any incentive then at least 3G will work on our phones

Sprint will give us replacement phones at discount rates to move on to LTE with same or 5-10 USD more per month for service

Sprint may give us 5-10 USD per month discount on monthly charges if we decide to stick with EVO V and Sprint drops Wi-Max

I will welcome any one of the above choices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones