• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Whats the benefits of rooting?

No. If you don't have it setup right you cannot surf through it, it will just redirect to a verizon page saying you need a mobile connect plan.

Guys, stop posting misinformation. You KNOW that you are making stuff up, so why do it? I don't understand. You think that you have to always look like you have the answer or a response to everything? Grow up. Don't post bullcrap.

Excuse me but what the hell is your problem?? :thinking:

I didn't make anything up, nor did I post any misinformation. The mobile hotspot feature is a PAID SERVICE that Verizon charges you for. Plain and simple. It's right there on their website, it's in your contract terms and agreement. When you set up the app to use it there is a disclaimer.

So what is this "misinformation" that you see?

Upvote 0
No. If you don't have it setup right you cannot surf through it, it will just redirect to a verizon page saying you need a mobile connect plan.

Guys, stop posting misinformation. You KNOW that you are making stuff up, so why do it? I don't understand. You think that you have to always look like you have the answer or a response to everything? Grow up. Don't post bullcrap.

I don't see any misinformation in her post...the user stated that the 3g mobile hot spot was working and coworker connected, therefore it is set up correctly and will be getting charged.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This has been addressed countless times. Please search the forums. If you have a specific question, people will be happy to help. There's a sticky at the top of this forum that will answer most of your questions.

See this thread from admin Shivers316, specifically the following excerpt:

"We welcome EVERYONE to this forum. We don't care if their grammar isn't perfect. And, albeit a little annoying when someone doesn't, we don't "require" people to search first before they post a question. Replying to a thread by saying "use the search" is just as bad or worse than not searching first. Either reply to a thread with a helpful solution or don't reply at all."

Upvote 0
See this thread from admin Shivers316, specifically the following excerpt:

"We welcome EVERYONE to this forum. We don't care if their grammar isn't perfect. And, albeit a little annoying when someone doesn't, we don't "require" people to search first before they post a question. Replying to a thread by saying "use the search" is just as bad or worse than not searching first. Either reply to a thread with a helpful solution or don't reply at all."

My reply was not just search, it was stating that this generic question has been addressed numerous times, and a specific question will get better answers. And I pointed the OP to the sticky which has such generic responses. But thanks for taking the time to post this response to me rather than something to the OP.

Upvote 0
DizkoDan said:
My reply was not just search, it was stating that this generic question has been addressed numerous times, and a specific question will get better answers. And I pointed the OP to the sticky which has such generic responses.

The original question was as specific as it needed to be. Also, you mentioned a sticky, but you did not provide a link, nor did you provide an answer to the question. That is not helpful.

DizkoDan said:
But thanks for taking the time to post this response to me rather than something to the OP.

You're welcome.

Upvote 0
The original question was as specific as it needed to be. Also, you mentioned a sticky, but you did not provide a link, nor did you provide an answer to the question. That is not helpful.

You're welcome.

I'm gonna end this here, because this brings nothing to the OP's thread, but I think you should take your own advice here.

Either reply to a thread with a helpful solution or don't reply at all.

I'm sure any of the hundreds of users here who I have helped will attest to my usefulness on these forums. Looking at your past posts, all I see is you starting arguments, and making generally unhelpful posts. Please go troll elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I too am considering rooting my DInc. Although Its performance is good the one area I have issues with is the interface. I'm using Launcher Pro and Widget Locker and it seems that sense is always trying to assert itself. Since there is no way to kill Sense I'm wondering if rooting would give me that ability? A performance increase would also be welcome.

Upvote 0
I too am considering rooting my DInc. Although Its performance is good the one area I have issues with is the interface. I'm using Launcher Pro and Widget Locker and it seems that sense is always trying to assert itself. Since there is no way to kill Sense I'm wondering if rooting would give me that ability? A performance increase would also be welcome.

With root you have a couple of options there. You can run a "de-sensed" ROM, or a "vanilla" ROM. "De-sensed" means that most of the sense stuff is removed, but the underlying framework still exists. A "vanilla" ROM is based on pure android source code, which means it won't have ANY proprietary software loaded.

The performance argument can go both ways. It really depends on the specific user more than the ROM itself.

Reactions: MKREdit
Upvote 0
DizkoDan said:
I think you should take your own advice here.

You didn't ask for any help. Therefore, there is no solution for me to provide to you.

DizkoDan said:
I'm sure any of the hundreds of users here who I have helped will attest to my usefulness on these forums.

You were not helpful in this case; your assistance elsewhere is irrelevant.

DizkoDan said:
Looking at your past posts, all I see is you starting arguments, and making generally unhelpful posts. Please go troll elsewhere.

You've obviously misread my posts, not to mention the fact that you were quite selective in your commentary. I never once started a single argument. In this particular case, I simply pointed out a mistake that you made that was in clear violation of what the admins of this forum have required. It only became an argument when you became defensive. Therefore, you actually started the argument, which makes you the troll. You could have simply said, "Thank you, I'll keep that in mind next time." That would have been the end of it.

Upvote 0
You've obviously misread my posts, not to mention the fact that you were quite selective in your commentary. I never once started a single argument. In this particular case, I simply pointed out a mistake that you made that was in clear violation of what the admins of this forum have required. It only became an argument when you became defensive. Therefore, you actually started the argument, which makes you the troll. You could have simply said, "Thank you, I'll keep that in mind next time." That would have been the end of it.

Oh jeeze, really? LET IT GO!

Stop hijacking the OP's thread. Last I checked you are not the forum guard. If you have a problem with someone's post, report them. Don't start a pointless fight in someone's thread.

Rooting in and of itself does not give you the ability to kill sense. As someone mentioned, you can install custom ROM's which are pure android ROM's without the Sense UI. But that's a whole other ballgame.

What do you mean by "sense is always trying to assert itself"? What is it doing? I have been using LP and WL for quite a while and I haven't even seen the Sense UI since I installed them.

Upvote 0

Stop hijacking the OP's thread. Last I checked you are not the forum guard. If you have a problem with someone's post, report them. Don't start a pointless fight in someone's thread.

Last time I checked, a person doesn't need to be a "forum guard" in order to point out how someone else is being rude and behaving in a manner opposite of that which the admins have required. Nice job taking sides, too. I like how you place the blame squarely on me for letting it get to this point while failing to acknowledge DizkoDan's unreasonable defensive behavior. Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
Rooting in and of itself does not give you the ability to kill sense. As someone mentioned, you can install custom ROM's which are pure android ROM's without the Sense UI. But that's a whole other ballgame.

What do you mean by "sense is always trying to assert itself"? What is it doing? I have been using LP and WL for quite a while and I haven't even seen the Sense UI since I installed them.

Ever so often I see Sense screens. For example when I receive an incoming call sometimes its the Sense incoming call screen instead of the droid incoming screen. Also I notice if I run Sense it seems much quicker and more responsive than my WL/LP setup. I suspect that it may be because Sense is in the background but I'm not sure. I understand that Sense being an HTC product may be a factor in how it runs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones