• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When did you tell your kids that Santa wasn't real?

There's a way round that one : Of course you wrap them and label them, how is Santa supposed to know who they are for? That one worked on me.
Santa never wrapped any of the gifts, that's how you knew it was from him. Only family gifts got wrapped, that's how I (and my mom) got around that!

Upvote 0
This year is my son's second Christmas so much bigger.....can't wait :)

Yeah, it's so much better when they get to an age where they have some understanding of what's going on. My daughter was only 3 months old last time so didn't really appreciate it. She still doesn't really understand what's going on this time round, but she'll get excited when she sees stuff to open under the tree.

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
I don't ever remember believing in Santa Claus, or being asked to believe in him either. I will have to check with my brother on this issue, but I can think back to as early as 6 and recall that I knew the presents under the tree came not from some overweight, red-suited interloper, but from family and friends. Perhaps, just perhaps, it is the horrible trauma of finding out the reality of Santa Claus that has driven it totally from my mind, but . . um . . . i don't think so. I always saw myself more as the Charlie Brown/Linus type searching for profundity and getting nothing but superficial fluff. And when the depth of spirit and feeling were there, no one else seemed to be that interested.

I suppose that is why i never propagated the legend/myth [nice euphemism for a lie] of Santa to my own son.

Upvote 0
I hear ya, lunatic59, but I feel like there's so little time allowed for kids to believe in "magic", that I try and milk it for all it's worth... They have plenty of time to be smacked in the face with reality as they get older. I want my kids to hang on to as much innocence as possible while they still can...
^^^that, my son is mystified by the Elf on the Shelf. He showed up the same night the tooth fairy came. I don't know how many more years I'll get to enjoy the pure excitement of a little boy when he first sees the Tree on Christmas morning, but I'm going to stretch it for as long as I can.

Sadly, I think this may be my last year though.:(

Upvote 0
I disagree with you Lunah, There's plenty of magic in the world for kids to enjoy. Back in my youth, we made our own magic ... through 10 feet of snow. (Yep, you guessed it, uphill both ways. :p)

My recently married son and I still enjoy every single Transformer and Star Trek movie no matter how stupid they turn out to be. We talk for hours about Dr. Who. We even have an invisible mischief monkey who lives in our basement and is responsible for all the unexplained breakages in the house. ;) If that ain't magical ....

Telling them that the Christmas clown will bring them stuff if they're good? Let's just say it doesn't float my boat.

I want my kids to hang on to as much innocence as possible while they still can...

Keep them innocent too long and you'll end up with a 35 year old living in your basement. :eek:

Upvote 0
I was 5. My Dad just told me straight up he wasn't real. He weren't gonna let some fake fat old bearded man take the credit for the presents he worked hard to give me and my siblings every year lol. I just accepted it.

On a side note though, I was disappointed and gutted to learn at age 6 that WWE was fake when my Dad saw me watching it. Couldn't believe it.

Upvote 0
We had nature. Watch ants bring home food, watch a hummingbird fly. Watch a leaf riding the current down a creek.
Fantastic cloud shapes.
Knowing what is under your feet, and overhead. Andromeda Galaxy at 2.5 million light years away is the farthest naked eye object, and Pikes Peak granite is 2.3 billion years old. That's a far longer chunk of time than Santa.

Upvote 0
I was 5. My Dad just told me straight up he wasn't real. He weren't gonna let some fake fat old bearded man take the credit for the presents he worked hard to give me and my siblings every year lol. I just accepted it.

On a side note though, I was disappointed and gutted to learn at age 6 that WWE was fake when my Dad saw me watching it. Couldn't believe it.
Wrastlin is real!!!!!

[emoji123]

Reactions: Omar Days
Upvote 0
MIND BLOWN!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418136894730.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418136894730.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: bjacks12
Upvote 0
Around 8ish for the boy, less for the daughter.

I do understand that some don't want to propagate misdirection from an early age but I gladly forgave my parents for that and looking back, I've very thankful they did it. I can still remember the excitement. Not the faded memory of it but I can recall the exact events within a given night while waiting up to put the old sneak attack on Santa - much to mom's vexation as she wouldn't get to sleep until o'dark thirty. After I finally lost the struggle, she still had to fill up the stockings and move all the gifts down 2 flights of stairs because dad was always long since asleep. :D

Pretty sure that warm, bordering sour milk went down the drain and the cookies back in jar less the one sacrificial cookie for the crumbs on the plate routine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones