• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When will Google kill Google+? - Google+

I hope it doesn't go away anytime soon. G+ has really become my online home, even more so than a certain forum for Android.

I'm not going to sit here and try to argue that it's perfect or necessarily even good enough for everyone. For me, though, it's pretty close to what I want from a "social network". I put that in quotes because G+ does depart from what many might consider to be a staple of social networking. While Facebook (for me, at least - and I admit I haven't visited since shortly after G+ launched) seemed to be made up of a few close friends, family whose presence on the Internet made me just a bit uncomfortable, hundreds upon hundreds of "friends of friends" or acquaintances I couldn't actually stand, and the mindless unimportant drama that they spewed across the information superhighway at no one in particular. I guess some people are into that, but I just found it to be exhausting.

G+ (again, for me) has been less about "people I know, whether I want to or not" and more "people it would be cool to share a beer with." I've found tons of interesting people to interact with on a daily basis about any topic at all, and interest-based sharing via the Collections feature means I can follow someone's posts about clever photography techniques or classic cars without also having to see their political or religious posts - or the other way around. I've made a lot of great friends on G+, but more importantly I've learned an incredible amount from and had brilliant interactions with other users who are passionate about their interests.

Like I said, the platform isn't perfect, and the way it currently operates probably isn't for everyone - particularly those who are looking for a more traditional social networking experience. It might take a bit of effort to find people and collections to follow and interact with, and limiting your vision to just the people you already know will likely leave your G+ looking like the ghost town the media keeps saying it is.

I've jumped in, participated, and made it my home, and I can assure you that things are much more lively and vibrant than they might seem from the outskirts.

Upvote 0
All I got was some Russian coder complaining about this and that. Looked at other groups I might be interested in, and most were ME ME ME, look at ME. (mostly creative type groups) It's like an overdone Pinterest which I have to ban in searches. I don't care what you like and how great you are if I want an answer to a problem.

I've found better forums online and finally told G+ to stuff it.

Even the Yahoo groups for certain subjects are far better when someone needs an answer.
I've stayed as I might be one of the few who remember how to program a certain sewing machine. (x,y coordinates)

Upvote 0
It seems like it's going absolutely nowhere, especially since Vic Gondutra left Google.

Define "nowhere", please. Whaddya want, a F@ilbook level of banality? Are thousands of "here's what I had for lunch" posts any more valid?

All I got was some Russian coder complaining about this and that.

Then you chose the wrong community... unless you're interested in coding? ;)

I don't care what you like and how great you are if I want an answer to a problem.

Then perhaps an interactive platform like G+ isn't suited to your needs? Just saying... :p

I've found better forums online and finally told G+ to stuff it.

Ahh, there's your problem.... G+ isn't a forum. ;)

Even the Yahoo groups for certain subjects are far better when someone needs an answer.
I've stayed as I might be one of the few who remember how to program a certain sewing machine. (x,y coordinates)

So ignore all the superfluous cr@p and only contribute if/when you want. I fail to see the problem... you don't read every topic post here on AF, do you?

When all is said and done, G+, Tw@tter and even F@ailbook all serve the same purpose... they are mere conduits of information. What is done with that info is up to each individual user. Ingest. digest or discard.... it's up to you. :D

Upvote 0
I didn't choose the wrong community. It was this one. More people posted here, anyway.
How this Russian got in the act, I don't know. Nor do I care. He got blocked.

Google gave up on Buzz since no one wanted it at the time.

I do scan most topics, except some that sound personal.

Then why are you given the stupid choice of logging in with G+, FB, Twitter, and now Pinterest? Most of the interesting forums use that.

I like crafting, and most of those are the idiots whose posts degenerate to see my grandchildren, how wonderful I am, etc. If you use certain other forums, this is not allowed in the main section. You are given an off-topic sort of forum where you can post what you want, within reason. Yahoo makes posters stick to the topic. You stick to the topic here.

If none of those are forums, then why bother joining?

Upvote 0
Not social networks, but real life:

I didn't choose the wrong community. It was this one. More people posted here, anyway.
How this Russian got in the act, I don't know.

I know all about Russians getting in on the act.

Nor do I care. He got blocked.

So about two years ago the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of the People's Republic of China(SAFEA) issued a decree, which states that all foreign language teachers must be native speakers of the language they're teaching. Which basically means for English, if you don't have a passport for the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa, you're NOT going to be teaching English here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't choose the wrong community. It was this one.

Ah, the AndroidForums G+ community? Same name, completely separate entity. Afaik membership here isn't even a prerequisite for membership there.

Then why are you given the stupid choice of logging in with G+, FB, Twitter, and now Pinterest? Most of the interesting forums use that.

It saves you the trouble of remembering yet another login id? I use it for some sites, but or others I prefer a discrete unique id.

Yahoo makes posters stick to the topic. You stick to the topic here.

I'm old-skool and prefer a more rigid structure as it makes searches more accurate, but kids today prefer free forming. It's all about the traffic, man. :rolleyes:

If none of those are forums, then why bother joining?

That's the problem.... they're NOT forums, they are stream-of-consciousness outlets. You have to do your own selective filtering now, unfortunately. :(

Upvote 0
That's the problem.... they're NOT forums, they are stream-of-consciousness outlets. You have to do your own selective filtering now, unfortunately.
frown.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones