• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Where are the runtime errors in Eclipse?

Mtihc

Lurker
Jun 27, 2011
Hello,

I'm working on an app. I'm getting runtime errors.

The problem is, I can't find the error... stacktrace.. thing.

I'm running it on a real phone. In debug-mode.
I see a lot going on in Eclipse's debug perspective. But I don't see any stacktrace.
I do see the application stops, and it shows me in which thread it happens. But I can't even figure out if it's a NullPointerException or what!

So, where do I find runtime errors?
I checked LogCat, Console, Problems, Error log.

Even if I generate my own error, by dividing by zero... The app stops working on that exact line of code. But I still can't find an error that relates to it.

Please help.

You should see it in LogCat. As you wrote you don't see it there - do you see anything in LogCat? Some system logs or logs from another application? I see a huge amount of logs when I connect my phone even if I don't play with any app. But sometimes the LogCat is empty and I need to reconnect or even restart adb/eclipse/anything manually. Perhaps you have to do the same.

Upvote 0
I do see something in LogCat.
They are messages related to my app. But there are no errors.

After it says: "The debugger has settled"
There are some messages like: "GC_FOR_ALLOC free 1k"

No errors.

I did find something. I read bulletpoint 1 on this page
It says I can add "android:debuggable="true"" to the application tag.

I did that.
When I click debug, I get a message:
"The JRE Instance Default XSLT processor does not support debugging_
Would you like to debug using the default Xalan 2.7.1 processor instead?"

I clicked YES. Then it showed me some error stacktrace in the Console window.
It was not the error I expected though. I expected a ArithmeticException because I divide by zero. But I get this:

11:18:49,865 INFO [debugger] AbstractDebugger - Sending event: started eventWriter=java.io.PrintWriter@3ee6b69
11:18:49,918 ERROR [debugger] AbstractDebugger - Transform failed
org.eclipse.wst.xsl.jaxp.debug.invoker.TransformationException: No embedded stylesheet instruction for file: file:/D:/Mitch/Eclipse/Asterisk%20App/SipDemo3/AndroidManifest.xml
at org.eclipse.wst.xsl.jaxp.debug.invoker.internal.JAXPSAXProcessorInvoker.transform(JAXPSAXProcessorInvoker.java:225)
at org.eclipse.wst.xsl.jaxp.debug.invoker.internal.JAXPSAXProcessorInvoker.transform(JAXPSAXProcessorInvoker.java:186)
at org.eclipse.wst.xsl.jaxp.debug.debugger.AbstractDebugger.run(AbstractDebugger.java:111)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.eclipse.wst.xsl.jaxp.debug.invoker.TransformationException: No embedded stylesheet instruction for file: file:/D:/Mitch/Eclipse/Asterisk%20App/SipDemo3/AndroidManifest.xml
at org.eclipse.wst.xsl.jaxp.debug.invoker.internal.JAXPSAXProcessorInvoker.transform(JAXPSAXProcessorInvoker.java:214)
... 3 more

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones