• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where is the GPS on the phone ?

acadialover

Jan 17, 2012
Ok, silly, but I am a total newbie to android from apple, and cannot figure out where the GPS is on the phone. I look in applications and can't find it.
I have tele nav, and maps ..... where is the thing that people say they lock onto satalites (sp ) (why doesn't spell check help me )
I have used Navigatin , and MAPS both seem to show a blinking round thinghy up near the top of the screen. where is GPS ??
I wonder if the white phone is any different than the black .... hmn..... I have only had my phone (white ) a month. I updated before I had read all the posts or I wouldn't have. However...... NO problems. LOOONG battery life even after filming over 20 minutes of video, playing games for about 15 minutes, lots of texts etc.... ANd phone calls of about 15 minutes.....
I am very glad I chose this phone over the iphone, except it is big in my girly hand:D
Thanks in advance

When you're in your maps or nav apps, the blinking icon is the GPS trying to get your location. When it locks on the icon will stop blinking. Unfortunately, this and other Samsung phones have well documented trouble with GPS signal. There's a free app in the market called GPS Test that can show you how well (or not) your phone is doing at finding and locking onto GPS satilites.

Still, good pick for your first android phone :)

Upvote 0
There are several ways of turning on GPS on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch, especially if you would like to turn it on before launching a Navigation app like Google Navigation (Navigation label with a blue arrowhead icon; can also be accessed inside Google Maps) or Google Maps (Maps label with a square icon with a blue dot on a street map) or a running app like Runkeeper or Endomondo. One way is to swipe down on the Notification bar and aside from Wifi, Bluetooth, Sync, and 4G you will see the GPS icon (I believe third from the left on the top row of power control icons). Another method of turning on your GPS is to go to Menu->Settings->Location & security-> Check "Use GPS satellites". Make sure to properly exit out of your apps by hitting the <Back> key until the app is closed (unless you want it to continue to run in the background) and turn off GPS when you are not using it to conserve battery life. Google Navigation and Google Maps will also pop up a text box warning you that GPS (or wireless networks) is not set and link you to the Location & security menu to set it as well. I hope this helps.

Reactions: acadialover
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones