• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Droid should I get?

actually i think both use a 3.7" screen. and the droid screen is actually better than the incredible imo. the droid uses a 480x854 res screen vs the incredibles 480x800. also the incredible is an AMOLED screen vs the TFT screen of the droid. the incredible will be much harder to see in the sun light than the droid but will be slightly and i mean slightly more vibrant under normal conditions. both AMOLED and TFT have there ups and downs, both are good though.

remember that the incredible has a faster processor, more memory, and a better camera.

basically the only reason why you should get the droid over the incredible is if you want a physical keyboard. both are good phones though.

hope that helped.

Upvote 0
With a custom kernel on my Moto Droid "BEKit 1100Mhz LV 7X", my Linpack scores are higher than an HTC Incredible. Also I use SetCPU to keep the heat/battery drain to a minimum.

And according to some people who are smarter than me about processor architectures, the OMAP chip in the Droid has a polygon fill rate (3D performance) 6 times higher than the Snapdragon.

Ask yourself:
Do I want a physical keyboard? (Yes Droid, No Incredible)
Do I want to root and customize my phone? (Yes Droid, No Incredible)
Do I need an 8MP Camera? (Yes Incredible, No Droid)

Here is a link to a few pages of discussion, after reading it, I bought a Droid:

OMAP3530 Vs Snapdragon: SURPRISE!!! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Upvote 0
With a custom kernel on my Moto Droid "BEKit 1100Mhz LV 7X", my Linpack scores are higher than an HTC Incredible. Also I use SetCPU to keep the heat/battery drain to a minimum.

And according to some people who are smarter than me about processor architectures, the OMAP chip in the Droid has a polygon fill rate (3D performance) 6 times higher than the Snapdragon.

Ask yourself:
Do I want a physical keyboard? (Yes Droid, No Incredible)
Do I want to root and customize my phone? (Yes Droid, No Incredible)
Do I need an 8MP Camera? (Yes Incredible, No Droid)

Here is a link to a few pages of discussion, after reading it, I bought a Droid:

OMAP3530 Vs Snapdragon: SURPRISE!!! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

You obviously didn't read the whole debate. It's all about, what games are optimised on what chipset

Upvote 0
You obviously didn't read the whole debate. It's all about, what games are optimised on what chipset

No, I read it. It is about architectural differences between a GPU that can draw polygons faster than it can fill pixels. Depending on the game this may impact performance.

Having just run Linpack on my Droid, I know my phone is faster than an Incredible. I personally would pick a 468% increase in pixel fill rate over a 15% increase in polygon draw rate.

And I have a physical keyboard, so what is YOUR point exactly?

-Mike

Upvote 0
No, I read it. It is about architectural differences between a GPU that can draw polygons faster than it can fill pixels. Depending on the game this may impact performance.

Having just run Linpack on my Droid, I know my phone is faster than an Incredible. I personally would pick a 468% increase in pixel fill rate over a 15% increase in polygon draw rate.

And I have a physical keyboard, so what is YOUR point exactly?

-Mike

lets get real here scooby. the droids a good phone but its not faster than the incredible. dont worry we dont think any less of you because you dont have the latest and greatest phone. you can stop jerking your dickroid now please.

Upvote 0
Ummm, using standard benchmarks like Linpack shows that an OC'd Droid is faster than a stock Incredible as far as processing power goes.

I chose the best phone for what I needed, and the numbers don't lie.

Do you have any facts to bring to the discussion, or are you just going to revert to name calling?

-Mike

what are you OC'd to? and you cant compare an OC'd phone to a normal one, thats like comparing a turbo subaru impreza to a non turbo impreza...

OC the incredible about half as much as you OC'd your droid to and it will be faster. face it man it has more cpu power and ram etc...

Upvote 0
what are you OC'd too? and you cant compare an OC'd phone to a normal one, thats like comparing a turbo subaru impreza to a non turbo impreza...

OC the incredible about half as much as you OC'd your droid to and it will be faster. face it man it has more cpu power and ram etc...

You're right, it probably will. Simple truth is that it isn't a slouch, not by a long shot. But there are many more reasons for selecting a handset for example:

Does it have a physical keyboard? (Which is only important if you really want one, I did so I got a Droid.)

Do you want to change the ROM, remove the stock bloatware, or OC the device? (Obviously this isn't for everyone, but for some odd people it is important)

Both are probably really good phones, each one has its own pros and cons. The HTC Incredible forum here is chock full of praise and disappointment, it is kinda dumb to think that one phone is the only phone you should consider.

-Mike

Upvote 0
You're right, it probably will. Simple truth is that it isn't a slouch, not by a long shot. But there are many more reasons for selecting a handset for example:

Does it have a physical keyboard? (Which is only important if you really want one, I did so I got a Droid.)

Do you want to change the ROM, remove the stock bloatware, or OC the device? (Obviously this isn't for everyone, but for some odd people it is important)

Both are probably really good phones, each one has its own pros and cons. The HTC Incredible forum here is chock full of praise and disappointment, it is kinda dumb to think that one phone is the only phone you should consider.

-Mike

ya youre right about that, it is no slouch. i never denied it was a very good phone. and about the rooting, im sure you will be able to root the incredible and evo within time, just like any other phone that has came out it takes a bit to get a root out for it.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Rouge right now which I hate since it really does nothing good. I am looking at the Moto Droid and the HTC Incredible I cant decide which one I will like better. Any insite will be great!

It depends. I have the HTC Droid Incredible, and i love it. Its fast, 8 mega-pixel camera, and is very responsive. I think it beats the Moto Droid it everything, except that the Moto Droid has a physical keyboard. If you dont need a physical keyboard, I would get the HTC Droid Incredible.

Upvote 0
what are you OC'd to? and you cant compare an OC'd phone to a normal one, thats like comparing a turbo subaru impreza to a non turbo impreza...

Though I saw a video which had the Droid clocked to 1GHz (same speed as the stock Incredible) head to head against the Incredible, and the Droid's Linpack scores were higher- YouTube - Motorola Droid vs Droid Incredible 2 - Wifi Fixed and Linpack .

I like the Snapdragon (have a Snapdragon phone which is slightly undervolted/underclocked to 786MHz, and no doubt it is fast), but with the better separate GPU, OMAP is better.

If you intend on rooting, go Droid. If not, go Inc.

Upvote 0
I'd almost bet money that the Droid will get Froyo before the Incredible though. Not that Motorola has been the standard for updating their phones, but the fact that its running stock android can't be dismissed.

Will this really matter to most people? Sense is pretty awesome, but I'd almost be willing to stick with stock if it meant I'd get updates sooner. I am hoping HTC launches a some nice hardware with stock android on Verizon soon!

Upvote 0
I'd almost bet money that the Droid will get Froyo before the Incredible though. Not that Motorola has been the standard for updating their phones, but the fact that its running stock android can't be dismissed.

Will this really matter to most people? Sense is pretty awesome, but I'd almost be willing to stick with stock if it meant I'd get updates sooner. I am hoping HTC launches a some nice hardware with stock android on Verizon soon!

I doubt HTC will ever produce a stock handset. Sense is kinda their thing (even the WM handsets have a version of it), and on a fast phone like the Incredible it is a fairly pleasant addition. On their less capable handsets, it hurt overall performance.

Sense is the main reason why Hero users (a group I used to be a member of) had to wait so freaking long to get 2.1. Even the Samsung Moment got 2.1 before we did.

Of course if you used a ROM without Sense, you'd have the extra space that Sense usually occupies to install whatever widgets you want. Beautiful Widgets is a must have on a Sense-less phone, and it is only $2 (I think).

-Mike

Upvote 0
I cant decide which one I will like better. Any insite will be great!
How are we supposed to -- especially since you haven't bothered to post anything regarding what you're looking for or what your priorities are?

Compare the features and specs and select whatever suits you best. Try them out in person to assess physical attributes that may matter to you. It's like any other device comparison. Get the newest device you can to help stave off upgraditis.

Upvote 0
The physical keyboard is kind of a mess though, but with other touch options like HTC_IME, Swype, Swiftkey etc., it makes it fine. I don't care for it much, by my fiance prefers it over the on screen. Definitely get to a VZW store and try it for yourself. Understand you will get better with it over time, but I was a little disappointed that I really couldn't type anything fast to begin with.
And, there are a few ROMs out there that assimilate Sense for the Droid, so if that's something you really like you should be in luck. Not sure how long it'll take to have a solid Desire/Incr ROM ready, but it's a nice option. And, having FroYo on my Droid already is a nice, sweet treat :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones