• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Home Screen?

Which Home do you use?

• Total voters
Weather & toggle widget has a 3g toggle switch plus an awesome flip clock like HTC's.

We're actually looking for a on click toggle widget. That one is a shortcut to 3g settings.

Papadroid said:
As far as which home I use I prefer sense. I tried Helix and loved (loved!!!) the docked icons on the bottom but to my surprise it seemed slower than sense. Which is really weird based upon everything else I read here...

Yeah, once in a while it'll get a bit laggy. That's when I know it's time for a reboot.

Upvote 0
Well, I put a lot of blame on Beautiful Widgets for my battery drain, so I uninstalled the app. Today, my running services is over 80% and the battery is down 12%! My phone has been in airplane mode since taking it off the charger at 8am this morning and the running time is over 4 hours! It hasn't slept! The number one program according to Spare Parts is the Helix Launcher.

Anyone else experience this? This sucks because I really like Helix.

A little late commenting, but I thought you would want to hear this...

I was running mine just like you with Beautiful Widgets and Helix, I ran it that way for two weeks and saw the same type of battery drain you were experiencing.

I have removed Helix and left BW and my battery life improved noticeably. I also saw the high usage of Helix that you mentioned.

Bottom line, I am now running Home with BW and aside from no landscape mode and the "Nexus Looking" menu access button, I am much happier!

EDIT 4/22: I am now 24 hours into my third full charge since removing Helix and I am still at 55% on my battery...

Upvote 0
One thing about Home on my device rather than Sense, and I do go back and forth still, is that in Home, again on my Eris, I never have to touch the screen.

No biggie.. it's just that the trackball moves through the icons smoothly and clicking the highlighted icon with the trackball brings up the app, as well as horizontally scrolling to go to the screens on the right and left of the main screen.

This is possible in Sense, but I noticed that in 2.1 I get the same effect as I was in 1.5: it's smoother using the trackball in Home.

I have no idea why.

Upvote 0
Anyone notice that no matter what home you are running after a while the phone lags?

I had this issue with GDE and now LauncherPro.

It is odd but it seems to lag in weird places when you are not using sense.

If by lag you're referring to how much time it takes the phone app to come up, I've never seen anything out of the ordinary; about a second and a half from the time I click the phone button.

Keyboard lag dialing on the phone? None.

[EDIT] lol.. the above "second and a half" was in Sense.. I just switched from Sense to Home and rebooted, there is no time lag at all, not even a second, pressing the phone button and seeing the utility come up on-screen; it's instant... quite impressive.. never noticed that before.

Upvote 0
After reading this thread I decided to download and install helix. So far I'm loving the look and haven't experienced any issues. I especially love the docking area, saves space and is better for organization.

I did try using live wallpaper since someone else said it worked for them, but I've had no luck with it either. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong though.

Upvote 0
Anyone notice that no matter what home you are running after a while the phone lags?

I had this issue with GDE and now LauncherPro.

It is odd but it seems to lag in weird places when you are not using sense.

I am seeing this in NewsRob of all places. Before LauncherPro I never really saw lag unless I was syncing, now there is lag no matter what I do. That being said I love LauncherPro and would have its children if it asked me nicely.

Upvote 0
I have just found that the phone runs much better without any home replacement. I just went back to stock sense and its running fine.

Things that start to lag...

the keyboard is the worst, especially in landscape.
I even had the voice to text lag before fac reset and fine after, I would say a sentence and 15 seconds later it would respond, this is on the HTC_IME mod.
2.1 is much more stable with page transitions than 1.5 was for me
the navigation (google) app would lag beyond usability at times, when loading the menu for instance, or trying to mute the text to speech

my device seems to run better with sense and very few apps installed, great slogan, droid does apps, yeah max 5 for me...

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity I downloaded and installed two screen apps last night, Launcher Pro and Helix.

Both are just as fast as Home and Sense on my phone.

I really have use for Launcher Pro's landscape mode on the home screen, as I use my device in that mode as often as I can, just a preference.

I'm not sure yet, but I just may keep Launcher Pro. Helix is being deleted, though, not because I hate it or had problems with it, but just because I'll not need it.

I've never had lag with my Eris and I feel badly for those who do and are trying to make it run as it should. If I had that issue or any other persistent one I think I'd be at the Verizon store getting replacements and testing them right there in the store and not walking out the door with it until it was the one that operated as is should; I'd be willing to spend a lot of time getting it right.

As it is, the one they handed me in January has always been great; I really thought they all were that way, that it was just good HTC quality.

It turns out I was wrong about that, unfortunately; it appears the quality control at the factories where it's made, assembled and inspected is lacking, otherwise they'd be consistently just like mine is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones