• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which screen protector is better?

Now, I'm confused. Some people say screen protectors are useless, and that a cover will do, others say that covers don't provide great protection to the screen.

The latter don't want to admit they've been wasting their time and money. :D

Seriously, it's a difference of opinion and a difference of circumstances. There are at least three groups here:

1. Those gone for years without a protector and without a problem.
2. Those who have used used screen protectors and not had a problem.
3. Those who have scratched their screens in the past and now use a screen protector.

I would suggest only listening to the first and last group, because the second group's experience doesn't prove anything because they possibly/probably would have had the same experience without a protector.

Reactions: Talal5897
Upvote 0
Some people say screen protectors are useless, and that a cover will do, others say that covers don't provide great protection to the screen.

Anything that covers the glass will provide protection against scratches, so it's really just a matter of personal preference and how you use your own device. With the emphasis on "you" and "your". :)

Upvote 0
Been wanting to weigh in on this issue for a while...

There are an infinite number of factors that determine why one drop fares better for a phone than another drop - cases, protectors, angle, speed, distance, landing surface, and on and on.

I just recently put the Nano on my S4. Even if it's a false sense of security, it's worth it to me because I worry less about my screen and enjoy the phone more. But that's me. Everyone has different levels of anxiety about potential damage to their phones, real or perceived.

If you have 30 bucks to spare and you think it will give you more peace of mind, then go for it. No one here can assure you one way or the other since everyone's phone experiences and mindsets are different. Just know going in that nothing is a sure thing.

I've read enough posts on various boards saying that it's less about scratch resistance than about shatter protection. Some report from unfortunate drop experiences that the glass protector has shattered leaving the underlying original screen unharmed. Others say that's not typical. There's no definitive word on the subject, regardless of how authoritative some posters can sound. If there's a chance that I might avoid a shattered screen, then it's worth it to me. The Nano is pricey, but when I indulge, it tends to be on my techy stuff. Some might see that as foolish, but wouldn't hesitate to spend up on those bumper protectors for their cars, which I think is wasteful.

And, fwiw, you don't have to be a clumsy person to drop your phone. I never understood the argument that if you are careful with your phone, you shouldn't have to worry. Sh*t happens to the best of us. :)

Upvote 0
it is very much a personal perference thing. My phones are totally naked, no case no screen protector. I'm personally willing to take the risk of damaging my phone in an accident, others believe that a little insurance/protection is worth the money and the change in appearance.

I do have a couple tiny scratches on my screen but they are only visible with the screen off and me holding it to the light to get a good reflection off of it....with the screen on, they disappear. Each person has their own preference, so go with what you want.

Hopefully, someone with knowledge of the 2 protectors you inquired about can help you out, wish I could give you more intel on your OP but I like my phones like I like my women......naked!!!

Upvote 0
Not to throw water on your fire but... there have been many posts of those who have taken on the task of replacing the glass, not the digitizer, and all seemed to have mixed results. They would seem to work good for a few days then problems would arise with touch issues, dead spots, etc. It seems the factory glass is bonded to the digitizer with some sort of adhesive that is near impossible to replicate on the home bench.

Not throwing water on my fire at all. All information is worth having and what you posted is as critical as anything else.

On the other hand the original screen really is quite durable. Get a decent case that will keep the screen from touching when laid face down and you should be fine.

I have the Zagg protector on my SII but also a case that keeps the screen from touching, as you mention. The screen is, of course, pristine after about 18 months.

As an aside, this article is somewhat informative on the subject of Gorilla Glass.

--Wag--

Upvote 0
This is mostly a religious debate, I think. You place your faith in Gorilla Glass, or in the great God Zagg! Substitute other deities as necessary.

I have carried a bare flagship smart phone in my pocket since buying an EVO 4G on release day in 2010, and never had a scratch. I do try to keep everything out of the pocket, though. And I did scratch the plastic screen on the Palm Pre that preceded these.

This article and test is interesting

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade...-phone-really-screen-protector-173351434.html

Based on this and the urgings of a friend, I think I am going to get a Zagg protector on the screen of my 32gb S4 when I get it in a week or two. This will be mainly over dropping, not scratching. My intuition has always been that a protector would help in a drop. I am also gonna use a case for the first time!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: itsallgood
Upvote 0
The stupid thing about the case is that it doubles the weight of the phone. So much for Samsung et al making great, lightweight phones.

It also makes the phone 10% thicker, wider, taller (okay, I made up the %. shoot me) so there again, so much for great phones that are unobtrusive or made from great materials, etc.

Nevertheless, I know how clumsy *I* am and a case is pretty much mandatory.

--Wag--

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones