• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is going to drop the DX for the Iphone?

This is why I would be surprised if VZW sold the iPhone. They've spent shittons on Android promotions. I've seen ads in movie theaters, TV, online, emails, everywhere. Android is their flagship right now. It wouldn't make sense to release their flagship's greatest competitor.

Verizon pushed the Android because they had no choice. They needed something to compete with all of the smartphones on the market.

That being said, I think it is naive to think they really care about Android. The only thing they care about is increasing subscribers. If carrying the Iphone increases subscribers, they will carry the Iphone. It will be up to the manufacturers of the Android equipment and platform to try to compete.

Verizon wins big time by carrying the Iphone. Users can choose whatever platform they want. Non smartphone users will upgrade to the Verizon Iphone, AT&T subscribers will switch to Verizon and existing Verizon smartphone customers will buy new equipment.

Upvote 0
a lot of interesting takes here. So many say they don't want to become an apple snob, yet their comments scream of being an android snob.. haha.

Ok, for me.. I have an X now, and I've owned all of them. Droid 1, D2, Fascinate, Incredible, now X.

I previously had a 3GS when with ATT.

It was ATT I disliked, not the iPhone. the iPhone itself worked great, and still does today (as my ipod).

I've never gotten more than 5 months out of an Android VZW device that wasn't eventually replaced on insurance. That's a fact. I'm on month 3 with my X.. so far so good. My 3GS as previously mentioned is still working like new.

So there is something to be said for the iPhone. I don't care if Jobs is a D... all I care about is a phone that works as advertised. And as much as I love Android, it doesn't work as advertised a lot of the time. the freezes, the battery life on most of them, the camera's all pretty much are low quality unless you are in a perfect sunny day outside.... I have a list.

I would grab the iPhone.. and I'm not ashamed to say it. And I'm not a snob. I simply want a phone I don't have to worry about for two years, and I have had no such luck with VZW android devices.

No snob about it.. just factual (in my case).

Hey man, I know you said you disliked ATT and that's why you switched but either way it sounds like you only had the 3GS for a few months too...It came out June 2009 and since then (16 months) you've gone through 6 phones from 4 different manufacturers. You might need to just take care of your phones a little more...Android is only the software, not the hardware.

Update: No harm meant, i couldn't word it any nicer, maybe you just have bad phone luck or you just like having new phones, which I'm guilty of too.

Reactions: WTF
Upvote 0
Verizon pushed the Android because they had no choice. They needed something to compete with all of the smartphones on the market.

That being said, I think it is naive to think they really care about Android. The only thing they care about is increasing subscribers. If carrying the Iphone increases subscribers, they will carry the Iphone. It will be up to the manufacturers of the Android equipment and platform to try to compete.

Verizon wins big time by carrying the Iphone. Users can choose whatever platform they want. Non smartphone users will upgrade to the Verizon Iphone, AT&T subscribers will switch to Verizon and existing Verizon smartphone customers will buy new equipment.
I don't think they particularly care for Android so much as they spent a lot of money in ads promoting Android and bashing the iPhone (ie: island of misfit toys commercial)

Upvote 0
I just did my "new every two" upgrade on Verizon and the thought (however briefly) entered my mind to wait for the Verizon iPhone . . . Then I came to my senses and realized that it won't matter that it is on the Verizon network (maybe, finally good coverage?), I would still be ruled by the "almighty" Apple gods - NO THANKS

I do own an iPod, just because they do interface well with the computer and the music management is fairly straightforward, but I DETEST anyone censoring . . . This is a free country and everything within it should remain that way!

ANDROID FOREVER!!!

Upvote 0
When the iPhone comes to Verizon, the android share of the US market will fall at least a little, because many who currently own dumbphones will switch to the iPhone along with a small percentage of current Android owners. After the glamour wears off on the iPhone with Verizon users, it will be interesting to see where the industry takes us. Bringing the iPhone to Verizon in the end will be good for everyone. Strong competition will produce even better products. Will be interesting to see where Apple, Google and Microsoft take us.

Upvote 0
never will i sell my soul to Steve Jobs
Sure Motorola and now htc are trying to stop developers with locked bootloaders and rootkits, but Android is still open, and android is still better.
All those who plan on going to the iphone if/when it comes to verizon good riddance.
If you want a smartphone that tells you what you can and cannot do, be my guest

Upvote 0
never will i sell my soul to Steve Jobs
Sure Motorola and now htc are trying to stop developers with locked bootloaders and rootkits, but Android is still open, and android is still better.
All those who plan on going to the iphone if/when it comes to verizon good riddance.
If you want a smartphone that tells you what you can and cannot do, be my guest

Sell your soul? LMAO! The DX tells you what you can and cannot do way more often than the iPhone. It tells you you cannot do anything because it is locked, lagging or just broken. You have the freedom to pull the battery or do a factory reset. Wow, what a great device.

Upvote 0
Sell your soul? LMAO! The DX tells you what you can and cannot do way more often than the iPhone. It tells you you cannot do anything because it is locked, lagging or just broken. You have the freedom to pull the battery or do a factory reset. Wow, what a great device.
Just because you have had bad experiences with the device doesn't mean that other people don't like it.

Upvote 0
iPhone is an app driven platform.
The whole experience is based on the single physical button and hopping from one app to the other.
Well Android got that already.
The great app experience is not a problem for an Android.
However, where Andriod truly excels is not at just an apps experience, it is about taking total control of your device.
If you desire something, there is almost always a way to get there in Android platform.
Even in physical design, you have vast options to find what you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Extremely well said khsjsilver!

I'll give you another example of the gross stupidity that is Android.

It is obvious that almost everyone has to do a factory reset of their phone from time to time. Not sure I understand that, in a year and a half, never had to do it with the iPhone and had multiple OTA Upgrades.

You would think, given the need for factory reset, there would be a one click back up app that would restore apps, setups, data, etc.. One where you could just click, walk away and 15 minutes later go back and everything would be the way it was before the factory reset. I guess Titanium Backup can essentially do that but you must be rooted.

So you essentially have to violate your factory warranty in order to do so many things that are just common sense. Just how FREAKING ******ed is that? You supposedly have all this control and customization capability but you can't freaking delete the Facebrook App from your phone unless you root.

IMHO, the iPhone really isn't all that. But the idiots at Android, Motorola and Verizon have made so many fundamental screw ups that defy imagination that they drive people to the iPhone. Had Jobs not tied the iPhone to AT&T, I don't think Android would have ever gotten off the ground.

i agree with you here 100% i had a iphone for years loved it just hated att. i'll be going back once(if) it comes. plus it intergrates with your home computer, i use a mac, much easier than any other phone ive had(bb,droid)

you dont realize how critical itunes was for backing up shit until i did a factory reset on my x and had to re install all apps one by one. the camera and camcorder are insane but other than that i can go back to the iphone without hesitation. plus the iphone 4 just feels better in the hand. if for any reason the phone is the 3gs i wont be changing unless its the iphone 4

Upvote 0
IMO Itunes is the biggest POS software ever invented. The ONLY thing it seems to do right is backup the iPhone before syncing. And thankfully so, because it's so easy to mistakenly wipe the data on the phone. Also its picture backup/handling is pathetic at best (the simple built-in windows utility is far more intuitive and useful). And even though it does do a backup, half the users don't even know it's happening. I've recovered several iPhones from people doing a sync with a blank database in itunes only to see all their data on the phone go puff! I'd rather drag and drop than be tied to that POS.

Reactions: mxsjw
Upvote 0
You're on a forum like this and don't root your phone to allow for data/app backup? :eek: At this point, it's hard to brick your phone beyond the point of recovery unless you choose to be blatantly stupid.

droidx_fan, it's humoring to see you bashing Android phones for carriers forcing some stuff to be on the phone unless you root and remove it, but yet there's various restrictions that Steve Jobs places upon the iPhone users..

Also, tests have shown that the iPhone itself has provided help towards lost calls, even with the silly bumper installed. At least Android phones can make calls without dropping them regardless of the network.

I've played with my friend's iPhone 4.. and I don't get what's so great about them. You essentially get a screen of apps. I like my screens and widgets. Oh wait, you have to void warranty there and jailbreak for that..

Upvote 0
I’ll concede the iphone4 does feel better in the hand—but only when held to your ear as a phone. When used as a mobile internet device or a mini-tablet the DX feels damn near perfect in the hand and way better than the iphone4 IMO. I think Moto hit the sweet spot with a 4.3” screen with this particular aspect ratio.

Have to agree with you about the screen of the DX - its the big plasma-screen of smartphones :D

One other thing I've noticed regarding the screen and pictures taken with the DX - the camera produces nice wide-screen shots that look great on the high-res LCD (and on my laptop at home). I joined several friends for a hike up in Rocky Mountains Sunday and took about a hundred pics - the vast majority came out sweet and that's considering the weather went from sunshine to snow in about 4 hours time (I also used an app that tracked our progress via the DX's GPS on Googlemaps - very cool!).

This is such an improvement over my previous smartphone - can't wait to see what happens with the next OS update :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I certainly won't be switching...I love Android and never plan to use anything else. With that being said, I find some people's responses quite humorous. While the iPhone may have it's short comings when being directly compared to Android devices...it also does some things better. I'm not saying in whole it is better, that really depends on the users needs.

Android is for me because I do care about all the customization and less restrictions, in contrast my wife could care less and uses Android because she wants a smart phone with internet. She's never going to root unless I do it for her.

While the iPhone isn't for the majority of us on here, people who act like it's an inferior device either aren't that familiar with them or feel the need to boast that their phone is better because it's their phone. I have personal experience with AT&T and the iPhone and the phone just works well. My experience with AT&T wasn't great regarding coverage and customer service and I think many iPhone customers will switch to Verizon if/when it comes. And that's a great thing for iPhone customers and Verizon. It's also great for us...competition between companies only results in better products. Look how far Android has come in only a couple years.

As good as Android is for techy people, right now, I couldn't imagine my grandparents or even parents using one. It would be just too much for them to handle. But, an iPhone is easy to use right out of the box for what a lot of people want to do...search online, get email, use FB, Twitter, etc. Not everyone wants or need what Android offers, right now.

My point is that there is no need to dis the iPhone to show Androids superiority. If we do that, we're just acting like the iPhone fanboys that we all despise.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I certainly won't be switching...I love Android and never plan to use anything else. With that being said, I find some people's responses quite humorous. While the iPhone may have it's short comings when being directly compared to Android devices...it also does some things better. I'm not saying in whole it is better, that really depends on the users needs.

Android is for me because I do care about all the customization and less restrictions, in contrast my wife could care less and uses Android because she wants a smart phone with internet. She's never going to root unless I do it for her.

While the iPhone isn't for the majority of us on here, people who act like it's an inferior device either aren't that familiar with them or feel the need to boast that their phone is better because it's their phone. I have personal experience with AT&T and the iPhone and the phone just works well. My experience with AT&T wasn't great regarding coverage and customer service and I think many iPhone customers will switch to Verizon if/when it comes. And that's a great thing for iPhone customers and Verizon. It's also great for us...competition between companies only results in better products. Look how far Android has come in only a couple years.

As good as Android is for techy people, right now, I couldn't imagine my grandparents or even parents using one. It would be just too much for them to handle. But, an iPhone is easy to use right out of the box for what a lot of people want to do...search online, get email, use FB, Twitter, etc. Not everyone wants or need what Android offers, right now.

My point is that there is no need to dis the iPhone to show Androids superiority. If we do that, we're just acting like the iPhone fanboys that we all despise.

I think you nailed it. The iPhone is a decent phone for a lot of people, not withstanding issues highly publicized here and elsewhere (and the DX has its share as well). Being one of those "techy" types, I prefer the DX but I have friend at work who loves his iP4. We've had some great conversations on the pros and cons of our phones (and without the drama that some have brought to the discussion in these forums). He too is looking forward to Verizon acquiring the iPhone so he can dump ATT and their poor service.

Competition is a very good thing for all of us - its what's given us the iPhone and the Droid X :)

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I really can't imagine myself switching away from Android anytime soon. Originally I got my Droid X to hold me over until the iPhone showed up on Verizon because my BB Storm was a POS, but now it makes me laugh to think that the DX was supposed to be the decent phone to just get me by until the iPhone. I love the flexibility of having many handset options, so if I switch from the DX it'll be to another Android device on Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones