• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is leaving for the Galaxy S?

Getting the Galaxy S?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 78.4%

• Total voters
To me it looks like Samsung wants to run with the pack but is always lagging behind.

They brought the Galaxy i7500 out to run with the G1 but by that time we were getting better phones like the MT3G and Cliq so then they come out with the Behold II but by that time everyone was clamoring over the Droids so now here we sit waiting for the Galaxy S and it's 1GHz processor but now were already hearing about dual core this and 2GHz that............ history is repeating again.

Upvote 0
Don't waste any more time with this one. If he refuses to see the PATTERN of lack of future support that has been the BUSINESS MODEL THUS FAR, he is *exactly* the kind of person that they are looking to catch.

We all (Galaxy owners, Behold owners, Behold 2 owners) bought the hype of "great hardware and specs"... And believe it or not, many Behold 2 owners who bought our phones last year *did* do our research and *did* buy into promises of future support not only from that video which appeared to be Samsung sanctioned but also from the reps who sold us the phones. It was all a LIE.

The Behold 2 had great hardware and specs at launch...its architecture still has great potential! Yet it was abandoned (and we faithful buyers right along with it). And here we are just six months from purchase with a phone that is at its end of life (not to mention its shaky daily performance).

And "oh joy!" this time with yet another launch, It is said that the CEO has promised Froyo! Whoopeee!!! Call it damage control...an attempt to "save face." It is the historical performance that I base my conclusions upon...not some air based promise that has yet to be fulfilled or have any preceding concrete evidence to support it. I will never believe another word from Sammie regarding Smartphones and "future support" based upon their own actions to date towards existing customers.

But to those who want the phone, get the phone and do so as quickly as possible.

No offense, but this argument is completely irrelevant. You're trying to compare apples to oranges. You have no way of comparing what will happen with the Galaxy S to any of their previous phones.

I've already said this, but apparently people associate the cost of a phone to the quality (which is obviously incorrect in the world of smartphones) of a phone. The Behold 2 is a MID-RANGE device AT BEST. It has a 528mhz processor, small screen, and terrible reviews. Just because you paid a bunch of money for a phone that wasn't even TMobile's top Android phone doesn't make it a high-end device.

This is Samsung's very first high-end device and they're already treating it that way. Something they have NEVER done. So all of this comparing the Galaxy S to the Behold 2 is simply re-tarded.

Upvote 0
No offense, but this argument is completely irrelevant. You're trying to compare apples to oranges. You have no way of comparing what will happen with the Galaxy S to any of their previous phones.

I've already said this, but apparently people associate the cost of a phone to the quality (which is obviously incorrect in the world of smartphones) of a phone. The Behold 2 is a MID-RANGE device AT BEST. It has a 528mhz processor, small screen, and terrible reviews. Just because you paid a bunch of money for a phone that wasn't even TMobile's top Android phone doesn't make it a high-end device.

This is Samsung's very first high-end device and they're already treating it that way. Something they have NEVER done. So all of this comparing the Galaxy S to the Behold 2 is simply re-tarded.

The Behold 2 ran with the pack at 528MHz and had more ROM than the standard device at 320MB when it was released. Now that phones like the Nexus, Incredible, and Evo have 1GHz samsung again chose to run with the pack. While everyone else is updating their 528MHz phones to 2.1 Samsung tells its customers to kiss their ass. Now their are dual core processors and 2GHz processors on the horizon how long will Samsuck stick with an "outdated" 1GHz processor?

Anyone that jumps from the Behold 2 to the Galaxy S and gets stranded again has nobody to blame but themselves.

Upvote 0
The Behold 2 ran with the pack at 528MHz and had more ROM than the standard device at 320MB when it was released. Now that phones like the Nexus, Incredible, and Evo have 1GHz samsung again chose to run with the pack. While everyone else is updating their 528MHz phones to 2.1 Samsung tells its customers to kiss their ass. Now their are dual core processors and 2GHz processors on the horizon how long will Samsuck stick with an "outdated" 1GHz processor?

Anyone that jumps from the Behold 2 to the Galaxy S and gets stranded again has nobody to blame but themselves.

This is true about blaming themselves, but I"m just stating that no one has anything valid to compare the future of the Galaxy S to. It's just a bunch of opinions. Any time you purchase a smartphone, you run the risk of it being outdated by something better.

Upvote 0
@Spiz: why are you trying so hard to sell the galaxy s to people? It's almost like you work for samsung. You are buying into the hype and that's fine, if you like it. however, this phone and samsung as a company are not for everyone.

BTW how can you call it their flagship when their are already 4, yes 4 different variations of the galaxy s/s-life line by samsung? Some actually are even better phones. they already have the Galaxy s pro with keyboard, camera flash, and rumored to have more ram, and on the low end of things they have the galaxy apollo, which runs 2.1 fine BTW, with barely better specs than the behold 2. it has a 800mhz processor clocked down for battery life, much like the behold, which actually has a processor capable of 728mhz. it was clocked down to 528mhz to save battery life. galaxy s or s-life is a line of phones, not just one...samsung's track record shows they will drop the older ones when they release the next in the series. buyer beware!

Reactions: euph_22
Upvote 0
@Spiz: why are you trying so hard to sell the galaxy s to people? It's almost like you work for samsung. You are buying into the hype and that's fine, if you like it. however, this phone and samsung as a company are not for everyone.

BTW how can you call it their flagship when their are already 4, yes 4 different variations of the galaxy s/s-life line by samsung? Some actually are even better phones. they already have the Galaxy s pro with keyboard, camera flash, and rumored to have more ram, and on the low end of things they have the galaxy apollo, which runs 2.1 fine BTW, with barely better specs than the behold 2. it has a 800mhz processor clocked down for battery life, much like the behold, which actually has a processor capable of 728mhz. it was clocked down to 528mhz to save battery life. galaxy s or s-life is a line of phones, not just one...samsung's track record shows they will drop the older ones when they release the next in the series. buyer beware!

They have different versions for different carriers. But the Galaxy S that we will be getting, the most popular one, is the original Galaxy S. The S-Life is a campaign put on by them, but the phone itself is their flagship device. One that they want to beat the iPhone.

Samsung's track record can't be compared to the current phone because nothing is the same. When a company invests a huge amount of advertising in a device, it's a good indication that they fully intend on supporting it (see the Droid). Plus, we've seen the fiasco that the BH2 created. You know they don't want that to happen to their iPhone challenger.

And I'm not trying to sell people on the phone. I don't care if anyone buys or not. I just want people to understand that they're opinion is formed from a hatred for Samsung, with no factual basis whatsoever.

Upvote 0

No offense. Your position is riddled with misinformation. I am comparing the company's business model toward its existing customers thus far! You, on the other hand are basing your dreams on unfounded hopes when all that you have seen from this company is a trail of disgruntled abandoned customers and negligible customer concern. Remember, we bought the hype about Behold 2 and look where we are now...

And I don't know what world you live in but $399 is a high end phone. Anything over $200 is a high-end phone. We behold 2 owners received the phone at its SUBSIDIZED price of $229.

And for your clarification: The Behold 2 was Tmobile's top of the line Android at launch!!!

The specs of the Galaxy are in keeping with where the technology is today. As I said, just six months ago we purchased the Behold 2 at its launch and are now sitting here with a deplorably faulty not to mention abandoned phone that will not be updated. $230 in subsidized costs plus a two year contract is NOT mid-range.

FYI, I do not hate Samsung. I simply state my user experience and have no qualms about doing so. I just will never purchase another of their phones based upon my experience with them as well as the duly noted experience of other owners. No hatred, just facts regarding my experience. I have no delusions about what I expect from them because they have been very clear in their behavior toward us customers.

re-tarded? LOL - Buying another Samsung phone is...shall I say it?...

Upvote 0
Samsung's track record can't be compared to the current phone because nothing is the same. When a company invests a huge amount of advertising in a device, it's a good indication that they fully intend on supporting it (see the Droid).

Actually yes there track record CAN be compared...for one thing they've shown a pattern of failing to support their phones...(the galaxy and the Behold 2, and they had to be dragged kicking and screaming by Sprint to update the Moment). You're 100% right that just because they have a terrible record for support doesn't mean that they'll fail the Galaxy S as well. But it is a change, so unless the company has changed how it approaches android phones that pattern will continue.

And marketing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with product support. They are organizationally completely distinct, all they way to having a separate corporate officer. And Samsung's recent update failures combined with the large marketing push suggests that they still view them as completely different. In short, you can't use the marketing push as evidence that they will support the phone.

Considering how much revenue that company brings in, I'd argue that they are not a joke and know what they're doing.

So by your own argument, they made a conscious CHOICE to not support this phone, to screw over their customers and break the promise to give use 2.x. In 4-6 months when they have the replacement for Galaxy S, they might make the same exact decision.

If your sure they will support the phone, that's fine...but calling people who disagree with you "******s" is just wrong (and horribly offensive). They have reasons and evidence to support there arguments, just like you have evidence. Only senior people at Samsung will now if they plan to give it lifetime support or not.

Upvote 0
Why not search the reviews for yourself? the Galaxy S is getting good ones in Europe.

you all seem to not understand that by releasing a device world wide like this to 110 countries will ensure that support is not dropped within the first 6 months. They won't just leave this for a new one in 6 months because it would look bad on them and pissing off 110 countries doesn't look good for business. they would lose more money by not supporting the device. This device is on level with the HD2 on Tmobile. It will be Tmo's flagship android and it won't be abandoned in the first 6 months I guarantee it.

No they will wait until 6 and a half months.

Upvote 0
So by your own argument, they made a conscious CHOICE to not support this phone, to screw over their customers and break the promise to give use 2.x. In 4-6 months when they have the replacement for Galaxy S, they might make the same exact decision.

There was no promise whatsoever. The only people that believe that to be a promise are BH2 owners. I used to believe that, but that video wasn't made by Samsung, and when I purchased my phone in Nov, the rep told me that the phone was only slated to 1.6 according to a Samsung corporate employee. So let's just drop that argument.

If your sure they will support the phone, that's fine...but calling people who disagree with you "******s" is just wrong (and horribly offensive). They have reasons and evidence to support there arguments, just like you have evidence. Only senior people at Samsung will now if they plan to give it lifetime support or not.

I never called anyone re-tarded (I assume that's what you said, it was starred out). I said there were some re-tarded arguments out there. There's a big difference. And I stand by that, because frankly, people are using stupid arguments to try to predict the future.

Upvote 0
Ok now you are just trying to rewrite history...no one knew about the update in November, not samsung not tmo! the damn phone didn't even come out until nov. 18th. time to get your lies straight. you my friend have lost what little crediblity you had. you are coming off as nothing but a straight up samsung fanboy. Time to ignor your posts...enjoy your "super" phone. lmao!

Upvote 0
There was no promise whatsoever. The only people that believe that to be a promise are BH2 owners. I used to believe that, but that video wasn't made by Samsung, and when I purchased my phone in Nov, the rep told me that the phone was only slated to 1.6 according to a Samsung corporate employee. So let's just drop that argument.

I never called anyone re-tarded (I assume that's what you said, it was starred out). I said there were some re-tarded arguments out there. There's a big difference. And I stand by that, because frankly, people are using stupid arguments to try to predict the future.

The video was copyrighted by samsung meaning samsung stands behind those statements.

It was basically an online infomercial selling the behold 2.

My aunt bought an Oreck vacuum cleaner from an infomercial because they claimed it had a lifetime warrenty. About 2 years later the vacuum died and guess what....... she got another one from Oreck for free.

Reactions: mikenick42
Upvote 0
Ok now you are just trying to rewrite history...no one knew about the update in November, not samsung not tmo! the damn phone didn't even come out until nov. 18th. time to get your lies straight. you my friend have lost what little crediblity you had. you are coming off as nothing but a straight up samsung fanboy. Time to ignor your posts...enjoy your "super" phone. lmao!

Super phone for super people

super.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok now you are just trying to rewrite history...no one knew about the update in November, not samsung not tmo! the damn phone didn't even come out until nov. 18th. get your lies straight. you my friend have lost what little crediblity you had. you are coming off as nothing but a straight up samsung fanboy. Time to ignor your posts...enjoy your "super" phone. lmao!

My mistake... was thinking November as the release date, got mine in Feb. Typo. That being said, the rest of my post was accurate and not a typo. The manager at TMo that I worked with was told by a Samsung rep the phone would only get 1.6 in the "future" but had no dates.

At the time, the Droid was on 2.0 which was obviously Motorola specific.

So that pretty much squashes the argument that Samsung "promised" BH2 owners with 2.0. They took down that video because they didn't want people being led in the wrong direction by a video they didn't make. Because clearly, the BH2 community was stretching for anything they could with the lack of a 2.1 update.

But yes, I will enjoy my "super" phone. And yes, it will be better than anything else available, including the piece of junk Slide that I smartly returned.

Upvote 0
This in no way states the video was copyrighted by Samsung. The video is using a Samsung device, so they're required to put that information in the video. Come on, you should know this.

You realize that Samsung does review any material before releasing a copyright do you not? Or do you not know how a trademarked business operates?

Furthermore this video was originally posted on Samsung's Youtube page:

YouTube - samsungmobileusa's Channel

Watch the videos posted on there. Same guy, same set, same concepts.

Reactions: behold_this
Upvote 0
You realize that Samsung does review any material before releasing a copyright do you not? Or do you not know how a trademarked business operates?

Furthermore this video was originally posted on Samsung's Youtube page:

YouTube - samsungmobileusa's Channel

Watch the videos posted on there. Same guy, same set, same concepts.

Interesting... you'd think there would be some lawsuits going on over this between Samsung and TMobile. Or least some BH2 owner would have the balls to start one. I stand corrected though.

Reactions: mwl1119
Upvote 0
Interesting... you'd think there would be some lawsuits going on over this between Samsung and TMobile. Or least some BH2 owner would have the balls to start one. I stand corrected though.

Buy whatever phone you want. If it is the Galaxy S you choose I hope were all wrong and you are right.. Just be warned Samsung will not support a product that is not supported by consumers and with the way they have done T-mobile customers in the past they may have a hard sale with the Galaxy S. I too have found it tempting but when i started looking at it that way I beat the temptation completely.

Upvote 0
Buy whatever phone you want. If it is the Galaxy S you choose I hope were all wrong and you are right.. Just be warned Samsung will not support a product that is not supported by consumers and with the way they have done T-mobile customers in the past they may have a hard sale with the Galaxy S. I too have found it tempting but when i started looking at it that way I beat the temptation completely.

What are you going with then? I had the Slide but was thoroughly unimpressed with the construction and decided that I really don't like the physical keyboard. I see you have/had the Cliq, so maybe you like the keyboard. For TMobile, I don't see a better option for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones