• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's picking up the Galaxy Tab and using tethering w/ Evo?

I'd get an iPad over this in a heartbeat, especially since they're the same size. I second everyone here saying that the tablet can't really do anything the EVO can't, so what's the point?

As for why I'd get the iPad, it really comes down to ONE APP. It's an app that's been rumored to be coming out for Android for a while, but I've heard nothing lately. Any guesses as to what app I'm talking about?

[rant]

NETFLIX!!!

My daughter has an iPod touch, and she watches Netflix movies at home over our wifi, and away from home, she watches Netflix on her iPod while tethered to my EVO. Why can't we have an Android app?
[/rant]

Upvote 0
For me it's the 7" screen that has me sitting this one out. 7" is too big to conveniently carry in a pocket to just have everywhere I go like my evo can. Since I'd have to make it a point to take it with me, choosing to carry it in something or keeping it in some type of case or carrier, the 7" over 4.3" isn't a large enough jump to make the extra hassle worth it for me. I'm waiting for the anticipated January releases of 10" tablets running the next iteration of Android, geared for tablets. 10" to me would be worth replacing my notebook when I'm on the road in order to get the convenience and speed of Android and lose a few pounds in my bag in process.

It depends what you are using the tablet for. I agree that a 10" can be a legitimate notebook replacement (particularly if you have an external keyboard.) But I had an iPad for a couple weeks, and while it was cool I could never find a comfortable way to hold it. It's not a great device to walk around with. The Tab, on the other hand, is light enough to use while standing. It all comes down to personal preference.

Upvote 0
I am buying the Galaxy Tab because I've been using my EVO on the sofa at home for web browsing quite a bit and I'd like to have a larger screen for that. I don't have a laptop, but when I did I never found it to be very comfortable to use when actually placed on a lap (which is kind of ironic) because of the constant downward-looking posture required. I think the iPad is too big to hold up to eye level constantly, and on a lap it is even worse on posture than a laptop. The Galaxy Tab seems just right.

Reactions: blake247
Upvote 0
It depends what you are using the tablet for. I agree that a 10" can be a legitimate notebook replacement (particularly if you have an external keyboard.) But I had an iPad for a couple weeks, and while it was cool I could never find a comfortable way to hold it. It's not a great device to walk around with. The Tab, on the other hand, is light enough to use while standing. It all comes down to personal preference.

Yea that's how I feel about the tab. I think the 7 inches and lighter weight makes it more idea for portability. I have co workers with the ipad and although loves it he can't walk around with that thing at work. The tab is more idea, bigger screen than the Evo but doesnt add the heft of the iPad. Very important factor for tabs imo.

Upvote 0
I use Dad's iPad if I'm sitting on his couch and he has it lying around, but it's not really good for portability and using on the go. 7' is better for that IMO.

I definitely plan to check it out when they hit stores & specifically its mobility form factor aspect.

While the EVO has a good speaker (though I've heard complaints of blow-outs), Tab has 2 good speakers according to reviews. Tab has a resolution advantage (1024 x 600 netbook class res) vs EVO (800 x 480 smartphone class res) which should be appreciated for web browsing, images etc..(though not PPI) & more built in storage if you care but no stock 720p camcorder.

Upvote 0
I still do not see how I would use one. I am not criticizing those who wan them but I don't get the point. My partner brought home an ipad from work (IT dept) last week for me to use over the weekend and I played with it once and gave up. Video was the only thing I though it did well and I don't watch hardly anything so that would not justify the price. I couldn't work on it easily and reading on it was not easier than my evo. An android tablet where I could use a thumb drive and work on documents would be much better for me - but my netbook works well and is portable.

Upvote 0
I still do not see how I would use one. I am not criticizing those who wan them but I don't get the point. My partner brought home an ipad from work (IT dept) last week for me to use over the weekend and I played with it once and gave up. Video was the only thing I though it did well and I don't watch hardly anything so that would not justify the price. I couldn't work on it easily and reading on it was not easier than my evo. An android tablet where I could use a thumb drive and work on documents would be much better for me - but my netbook works well and is portable.

The aspect I thought the current iPad excelled in is Photo viewing (not capture obviously) that tends to involve a lot of touch interaction. Web browsing without Adobe flash on the iPad compromised the experience too much. The current iPad still just felt like too limited a device to me.

When I saw the tab user videos I posted here (actually saw the Italian 13 min first) & http://carrypad.com, I was surprised how much better the browsing seemed than smartphones.

Panning & zooming while web browsing can get annoying which is less of an issue at 1024x600 on 7" but it does remain to be seen whether this could possibly justify the added expense for someone who already owns an EVO.. in addition to their notebook-netbook. The umpc guys at carrypad seem to really like it but there should be plenty of tablet variations on the market soon & the EVO already is a mini-tablet. The question I ask myself is what is the value proposition for the product? I guess I'll have a better idea when I get to personally use it..

Upvote 0
I went with the iPad this week and I'm lovin it. iPad with the EVO can't be beat. The battery life is amazing. Netflix streaming FTW.

I would have recommended you wait a few months for the next iPad as it should have cameras & higher res display etc..but I prefer Android.

Personally I don't think the current iPad is worth its limitations but that's just me:D:)

Upvote 0
Comic books would be better on Android IMO as it has Android Comic Viewer (free) and you can pirate thousands of comics online and throw em on there. That's just me though :)

I dont want to pirate and I never did like comics on my EVO (the screen is too small). Someone has to pay for all the thieves.

Anywho this is about tablets not the EVO. The Evo is the best super smart phone out and the iPad is the best tablet out (at least until June 2011).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones