• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why shouldn't I switch to Iphone?

I dont know how Verizon works because I was a mere child that was uninvolved with that family plan. But, i do know that ATT takes a stand in not letting customers leave if they can help it. They can make a LOT of concessions to please customers that are threatening/prepared to leave. Also, they almost always make your upgrade date 18-21 months into the contract as opposed to 24.

That was not my experience with ATT at all. Long story short, when the iPhone 3GS came out, I wanted one, but was already locked into a contract on a dumb phone. I called ATT to bitch and moan more than anything about the fact that only new customers could upgrade and that existing customers had to pay $600. The customer service rep told me that they would sell me an iPhone for the $200 price if I went down to the store. I went to the store where the customer service rep there told me that even though the lady at the call center told me that (and it was in writing in their records) they would not honor it. They let me know that it was not their policy to do such things even if their customer rep goes on the record saying they will. I told them that if they wouldn't honor their word I would walk. They basically said to go pound sand and enjoy paying the ETF. I will never do business with them again. If your rep screws up, your rep screws up. You should still honor what the rep says especially if you have it in writing.

Upvote 0
There is another possible scenario. I have 3 people on my family plan. Anyone within that plan can upgrade regardless of who's actual phone is eligible.

Verizon did give me a new phone (the on I am talking about in post) because I did put my foot down and threaten to leave. My original droid turned to a brick and I was told I needed to purchase a new or refurbed one. I threatened to leave. I think the buyout of the contract was around $200 and when I explained the math of me moving to ATT they actually gave me a new phone. But my bill is $400+ per month, I have been with Verizon forever.

I am not sure they would do that now.

You must not have Verizon because you are just plain wrong. If you were able to upgrade early it was because you had a Annual Upgrade and not because they just "let you" upgrade. In fact, since the iPhone came out, manager approved early upgrades are all but completely gone (only used for special circumstances). I have literally watched managers have customers leave the carrier because of this, it simply makes no business sense to let people upgrade before their real upgrade date, buyers remorse/wanting the new thing isn't a reason for a company to take a hit on equipment.

Long story short, this guy is wrong, please don't take that post seriously.

Upvote 0
There is another possible scenario. I have 3 people on my family plan. Anyone within that plan can upgrade regardless of who's actual phone is eligible.

Verizon did give me a new phone (the on I am talking about in post) because I did put my foot down and threaten to leave. My original droid turned to a brick and I was told I needed to purchase a new or refurbed one. I threatened to leave. I think the buyout of the contract was around $200 and when I explained the math of me moving to ATT they actually gave me a new phone. But my bill is $400+ per month, I have been with Verizon forever.

I am not sure they would do that now.

Wow if your bill is $400 a month, you need to switch to sprint.(FAST)

Upvote 0
I shouldn't be forced to pay full retail because the manufacturer is selling sub-par crap or the OS developer is selling sub-par crap and cannot release more than 2 updates in 2 years.

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. Phone companies purposefully make phones to last about 1 year or a little longer. That forces you to constantly give them more money.

It's great business practice. It's deplorable human practice.

It's your world!

Upvote 0
I say we all give back our androids and buy iPhones. Then we rename this place iPhoneforums.com. (I've always wanted to be a moderator of an iPhone forum. :p
(steven runs).)

If your selling ...

tradingplaces.jpg

I'm buying.

Upvote 0
That was not my experience with ATT at all. Long story short, when the iPhone 3GS came out, I wanted one, but was already locked into a contract on a dumb phone. I called ATT to bitch and moan more than anything about the fact that only new customers could upgrade and that existing customers had to pay $600. The customer service rep told me that they would sell me an iPhone for the $200 price if I went down to the store. I went to the store where the customer service rep there told me that even though the lady at the call center told me that (and it was in writing in their records) they would not honor it. They let me know that it was not their policy to do such things even if their customer rep goes on the record saying they will. I told them that if they wouldn't honor their word I would walk. They basically said to go pound sand and enjoy paying the ETF. I will never do business with them again. If your rep screws up, your rep screws up. You should still honor what the rep says especially if you have it in writing.

not EVEN going to defend ATT on this...actually i think this will end up as quite the opposite.......

But I just went through this with them recently. They explained from the jump that the iPhone is the one device they cannot give an early/exception discount on. They told me that it is because Apple this and Apple that and it was fine because i didnt really want an iPhone anyway. They could have been spillin malarkey but i aint really care. SN: What they CAN do is make you pay the $600 but credit your bill/account for the $400-500 to "create" the discounted price.

Now your mistake was letting the customer service people pass you off to the store. I have found that when the person you are on the phone with cant do what you want DO NOT let them pass you to another person from a DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT even if they claim "they will help you in x department." Always DO ask to speak to that individual's supervisor in that individual's department. This will 90% net you a better result. This is coming from experience from just a week or so ago.

Now when all else fails always threaten to leave...whether you are serious or not. I know you did do that but I think there are one of two theories why you did not get what you wanted.

A. The people in the store dont really care/have to care about customers cancelling. No one is recording their conversations with you so they arent hanged by the same string as the Call Center Reps.

or

B. You are on the lowest customer "tier" and no one at ATT will care if you leave.

Theory A goes with what i said at first "Always call them instead of going into the store, try your hardest to stay in ONE department and escalate up that particular chain of command and if all else fails, tell them you will cancel." My theory is that Call Center Reps are not allowed to ignore a "Ok Fine!! Im going to cancel my service" claim even if they can tell you are bluffing. They will send you to the Retention/Resolution people (let them send you to a diff department in this case). These people will and can do ALOT more for you than the regular people. In my case they gave me ALOT more than what I asked for when I threatened to end my family plan because we are like level 4 or 5 customers. ONE CAVEAT - if Theory B (above) is in effect for you then this will not work and the Retention people will happily assist you in paying ETFs and whatnot and allow you to continue your day.

Cliffs: discounts are not really going to happen with iWhatNots. Store people are NOT the ones you want to talk to when are going to threaten cancellation. Make sure ATT actually cares about your patronage and get what you want from the Retention/Resolution team.

Upvote 0
I say go with whatever you think fits your needs in a phone/carrier. I personally love android because there are SO many apps, and tons of free ones, and even the paid ones usually have a free version so you can try before you buy. Not only that but theres TONS of android phones out there, so your more likely to find one that fits what your looking for.

However if Iphone fits what you are looking for, go for it. Its all up to you :)

Upvote 0
not EVEN going to defend ATT on this...actually i think this will end up as quite the opposite.......

But I just went through this with them recently. They explained from the jump that the iPhone is the one device they cannot give an early/exception discount on. They told me that it is because Apple this and Apple that and it was fine because i didnt really want an iPhone anyway. They could have been spillin malarkey but i aint really care. SN: What they CAN do is make you pay the $600 but credit your bill/account for the $400-500 to "create" the discounted price.

Now your mistake was letting the customer service people pass you off to the store. I have found that when the person you are on the phone with cant do what you want DO NOT let them pass you to another person from a DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT even if they claim "they will help you in x department." Always DO ask to speak to that individual's supervisor in that individual's department. This will 90% net you a better result. This is coming from experience from just a week or so ago.

Now when all else fails always threaten to leave...whether you are serious or not. I know you did do that but I think there are one of two theories why you did not get what you wanted.

A. The people in the store dont really care/have to care about customers cancelling. No one is recording their conversations with you so they arent hanged by the same string as the Call Center Reps.

or

B. You are on the lowest customer "tier" and no one at ATT will care if you leave.

Theory A goes with what i said at first "Always call them instead of going into the store, try your hardest to stay in ONE department and escalate up that particular chain of command and if all else fails, tell them you will cancel." My theory is that Call Center Reps are not allowed to ignore a "Ok Fine!! Im going to cancel my service" claim even if they can tell you are bluffing. They will send you to the Retention/Resolution people (let them send you to a diff department in this case). These people will and can do ALOT more for you than the regular people. In my case they gave me ALOT more than what I asked for when I threatened to end my family plan because we are like level 4 or 5 customers. ONE CAVEAT - if Theory B (above) is in effect for you then this will not work and the Retention people will happily assist you in paying ETFs and whatnot and allow you to continue your day.

Cliffs: discounts are not really going to happen with iWhatNots. Store people are NOT the ones you want to talk to when are going to threaten cancellation. Make sure ATT actually cares about your patronage and get what you want from the Retention/Resolution team.

The people on the phone told me they did not have the ability to sell me an iPhone over the phone. They said they could only sell iPhones through the web site or in the store, never over the phone. Of course you can't explain to a web site what the customer rep promised on the phone so that's a waste of time. That's why they told me to go the store. The store experience was horrid. I talked to the peons there who showed my written record to their supervisors who called supervisors in other stores who then told me I would need approval of a regional supervisor. Then they told me that they didn't have a regional supervisor at all. Apparently the position was open and no one at all was doing the job. They did offer me a WinMo phone at a discount, but I felt at that point that it was pure bait-and-switch. They promised me one thing just to get me to the store where I discover that what they promised doesn't exist, but they have something else to sell me.

Upvote 0
Why shouldn't I switch to Iphone?
You shouldn't if it doesn suit you. Your OP really doesn't contain enough info for anyone else to make such an assessment for you.

Up until recently I have been die hard Android and Verizon but lately both suck. My Droid 1 which has had the same Apps, same config for 1 1/2 years has turned into the biggest pile of crap of any phone I've ever owned. Force closes/Wait screen all the time, takes 7 minutes to make a call, then just works fine for a full day, then doesn't work. I've tried everything to fix it other than wiping out the phone.
Running stock? Have you tried rooting and custom ROM's? An alternate launcher? This won't make the Droid comparable to the latest devices out there but they'll all improve performance. My Droid is also getting long in the tooth but I have far less complaints than you but I'm rooted, running BB 6.2.1 and LaunchPro.

Then there is Verizon...The 3G now officially sucks. Down all the time, lagging when it does work (I'm in major metro area).
How exactly have you determined this? Have you tested on multiple devices in carious locations or just with your Droid?

No decent phones to purchase for 4G.
Define "decent". It's a highly subjective word that's meaningless without context. What 4G device do you consider decent from other carriers? Never assume that your preferences are universal.

Why would you even consider the iPhone?

But worse than having slow 3G is having fast 4G with ATT which is in my opinion is the worst company ever.
Pick your poison.

It sounds to me like you just need to list out and assign weights to your priorities to help you decide. You're all over the place so it's no wonder you're having trouble deciding. I think that's why people are telling you to stop bitching and do something about it. Either Verizon's 3G isn't that bad or at&t isn't that bad. You need to decide which option is truly worse for you and purse the lesser evil.

No corporation is "good". Their only loyalty is to their shareholders. I can't stand Verizon, at&t or Sprint. I use Verizon because they meet my needs best for the moment.

If you are in a major metro area, your Verizon signal should not be bad.
Every carrier, even Verizon, has coverage holes and weak spots.

As the other posters have mentioned, iPhone 4 is an inferior product as compared to the latest 4G Android phones on the market.
"Inferior" is highly subjective. You criteria for evaluating products are not everyone's criteria. Understanding that is the difference between a fan and a fanboy. Again, never assume your preferences are universal. The iPhone users have their reasons for selecting the iPhone whether you agree with their reasons or not. Opposite, of course, is true as well.

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. Phone companies purposefully make phones to last about 1 year or a little longer. That forces you to constantly give them more money.
None of my smartphones died after a year or just over. What the user considers "obsolete" is entirely different from your alleged planned obsolescence. Not having the latest != obsolete despite how often the word is misused.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I am impatiently waiting for the Droid Bionic. This will be my last go with the Android platform if I have as many issues as I've already had I'll just move to Apple as much as it pains me.

Since I honestly cant determine which one is giving me all the problems, Motorola or Android I am going to continue on 1 more time in hopes a dual processor and all the other goodies makes this phone what it should be.

personally I love Google. Been using Google since they were the little guy and was stoked when they announced they were getting into cell phones. I ditched my Blackberry for Android. I want them to blow Apple out of the water. But they need to get it together soon because it is just not me bitching. I don't even know that many people who have Android phones in my circle, yet the ones I do know are all bitching about the Droid. So either the platform needs work or motorolla needs to get it together. I shouldn't have to root my phone or do multiple factory resets just to get the damn thing to work. As it is I am resetting the battery 10-12 times a day now just to make a fricken call. Others are doing the same. There are more posts bitching about Droids than there are just talking about them.

Just sayin....Produce a good product motorolla or android or unfortunately for me much more than you I'm off to Apple.

Upvote 0
I am impatiently waiting for the Droid Bionic. This will be my last go with the Android platform if I have as many issues as I've already had I'll just move to Apple as much as it pains me.

Since I honestly cant determine which one is giving me all the problems, Motorola or Android I am going to continue on 1 more time in hopes a dual processor and all the other goodies makes this phone what it should be.

personally I love Google. Been using Google since they were the little guy and was stoked when they announced they were getting into cell phones. I ditched my Blackberry for Android. I want them to blow Apple out of the water. But they need to get it together soon because it is just not me bitching. I don't even know that many people who have Android phones in my circle, yet the ones I do know are all bitching about the Droid. So either the platform needs work or motorolla needs to get it together. I shouldn't have to root my phone or do multiple factory resets just to get the damn thing to work. As it is I am resetting the battery 10-12 times a day now just to make a fricken call. Others are doing the same. There are more posts bitching about Droids than there are just talking about them.

Just sayin....Produce a good product motorolla or android or unfortunately for me much more than you I'm off to Apple.

The Droid is a pretty old model. Still the secretary in the office I work at has one and absolutely loves it. The other secretary also has an Android phone (I think it's one of the Samsung Galaxy line) and loves it. One of the other techs has a Samsung Android phone and is thrilled with it. I've got an HTC Android phone and would not trade it in for any phone currently on the market.

Upvote 0
The Droid is a pretty old model. Still the secretary in the office I work at has one and absolutely loves it. The other secretary also has an Android phone (I think it's one of the Samsung Galaxy line) and loves it. One of the other techs has a Samsung Android phone and is thrilled with it. I've got an HTC Android phone and would not trade it in for any phone currently on the market.

I hope I get one of those this time.

Upvote 0

the reason right now i will not go back to the iphone besides att is the bigger screen, the customization i can do making it look better imo then the iphones list of apps/folders. but the most important for me is google navigation. i havent done any looking since i switched to my evo last year but there wasnt any gps iphone aps that compare to googles. yes a lot of apps on the iphone are better but navigation is the most important to me since i actually use it every week. i also like sprint much better in terms of customer service and of course the price.

ive played around with a couple of my friends droids and did not like any of them compared to my evo in terms of responsiveness.

the iphone does have some key things i am looking for in the upcoming year from htc such as an aluminum body/ same quality as the iphone 4 hardware.

Upvote 0
The only thing I'd say is, if you like the customisability of Android then iPhone is probably not the choice for you. They're very nice handsets with a decent OS but aside from adding apps and changing the wallpaper you can't change much about them. No swapping out the shoddy stock keyboard for something better etc.

The beauty of Android is the customisability but not everybody wants or needs that.

Upvote 0
@slacker1313
Lets be honest, how am I to know why you as an individual shouldn't switch to the iphone. That decision can only be decided by YOU. I hear folks all the time complaining they are going to switch to the iphone , well go. The choice is yours but stop looking for justification from others and lying to yourself. I have never owned an iphone and I know many find it hard to believe but their is plenty of folks that never own an iphone as well. Everyone has their personal preference, get the device you as an individual like and be happy and enjoy.

Upvote 0
To apply an analogy...

Using an iPhone is like being forced to follow the directional arrows on the floor at IKEA. Whereas Android allows you the freedom to wander around.

For some, they enjoy the comfort, security, and predictability of iPhone. For others (like myself), they like to have the flexibility to stray off the beaten path.

THis^^^^^^^^^

I couldn't have said it better myself! I too LOVE to wander around in a store rather than follow any path. And I love my Android and it hasn't failed me yet!!!

Upvote 0
To apply an analogy...

Using an iPhone is like being forced to follow the directional arrows on the floor at IKEA. Whereas Android allows you the freedom to wander around.

For some, they enjoy the comfort, security, and predictability of iPhone. For others (like myself), they like to have the flexibility to stray off the beaten path.
+1

But not only this, but using an iPhone or iOS device is like having one of your arms tied behind your back.

For instance, there is no way to tell how much space individual apps are taking up on your phone / iPad. Apple banned Nook / Kindle apps from in-app purchases, so you can't buy e-books while using their iOS apps. And the banning of Flash on the iPad / iPhone makes it a semi-toy, as many sites I use require Flash to run. Add to that lack of keyboard choices (see http://damnyouautocorrect.com/ ) requiring to use the one and only iOS keyboard is truly typical of the Apple "my way or the highway" mentality.

The arrogance, and anti-consumer / anti-choice policies of Apple has really sickened me. I say this as owner of iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad 2. I would strongly encourage everyone to really look at Android first, and then other phone platforms as a distant second alternative.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones